SuperUser
mhoppes
Kudos: 4107
Solutions: 57

STP on Ubiquiti Radios

Oh great gurus of the Ubiquiti World.... I, even with my knowledge, must bow to you to ask this question :manhappy:

We are in the process of swapping out MikroTik switches for Cisco switches and implementing some VLAN segmentation.

This morning I ran into an interesting situation...... When I tried to shove my one tower's traffic down a VLAN trunk the Cisco shut it down claiming:

%SPANTREE-2-PVSTSIM_FAIL: Blocking designated port Gi1/0/21: Inconsitent superior PVST BPDU received on VLAN 300, claiming root 32768:0022.904b.f400

Hanging off that tower are a bunch of Ubiquiti radios, but four of them are setup to provide redundant connections to two offices. They connect to two different towers. They are running their own little internal STP. All it does is basically shut down one of the radios....

But in this case the Cisco switch appears to be seeing them advertising themselves as root bridges and is blocking the trunk port VLAN.

Any suggestions? Can I raise or lower the bridge cost on the Ubiquiti radios?
marwood0
Kudos: 43
Solutions: 1

Re: STP on Ubiquiti Radios

I'm sorry I don't have your answer, but I would like to post a comment.
I have noticed on a number of occasions certain Cisco switches would block the port on a non-redundant UBNT link back to another Cisco switch. The first time was a 2950 back to a 500 series, and several times a 2950 linked to 2960's. We fixed the first time by replacing the 500 series. A couple of times it was a mystery what was actually happening but we replaced the 2950 with a 2960 and it was ok. The last time, the ports on both sides were set to auto trunk but they would not do it, the 2960 would instead block the port and this was not a redundant link. My answer there was to manually set up trunking on the ports and then they were happy.
On redundant links I just plug both into the Cisco switches and let the switches handle it.
I am curious how your little internal STP is setup.
ATTN UBNT: in the USA, telecom systems commonly run at -50VDC (that means "positive" ground). Why is my toughswitch using +24V (negative ground)?
SuperUser
Josh_SPITwSPOTS
Kudos: 5793
Solutions: 143

Oh great gurus of the Ubiquiti World.... I, even with my knowledge, must bow to you to ask this question :manhappy:

We are in the process of swapping out MikroTik switches for Cisco switches and implementing some VLAN segmentation.

This morning I ran into an interesting situation...... When I tried to shove my one tower's traffic down a VLAN trunk the Cisco shut it down claiming:

%SPANTREE-2-PVSTSIM_FAIL: Blocking designated port Gi1/0/21: Inconsitent superior PVST BPDU received on VLAN 300, claiming root 32768:0022.904b.f400

Hanging off that tower are a bunch of Ubiquiti radios, but four of them are setup to provide redundant connections to two offices. They connect to two different towers. They are running their own little internal STP. All it does is basically shut down one of the radios....

But in this case the Cisco switch appears to be seeing them advertising themselves as root bridges and is blocking the trunk port VLAN.

Any suggestions? Can I raise or lower the bridge cost on the Ubiquiti radios?

Matt, the way that might work for you the best is to have STP setup on your routers/switches, and turn STP on the ubiquiti devices off. Their STP support is limited.

This might help with your root bridge problem. Good luck, and post your results.
Josh Reynolds :: Chief Information Officer :: www.spitwspots.com
Ubiquiti Certified Trainer :: UBWA, UEWA
SuperUser
mhoppes
Kudos: 4107
Solutions: 57

Yeah that's the route I'm going. I was just curious if there was an easy solution to the Ubiquiti root bridge.

It was nice and easy to just tick STP on one of the two radios in a loop to a customer and they managed themselves :manhappy:
wispr
Kudos: 102
Solutions: 11

we've ran into STP issues too with MT/Cisco/UBNT. Our solution, so far, was to turn STP off on the MT and UBNT and let Cisco handle it all. Working much better now.