R@som3d

VLAN trunking

Heya folks, we have a customer that needs layer 2 traffic passed from point A across our layer 3 topology to point B to facilitate multicasting. The last piece of the puzzle we have to sort out is the AP and SU @ point B. We already have an AP in this location with several customers attached to it. The AP is connected to a Cisco 3560 via a trunk with a native VLAN. We currently think that all the customers traffic has to be using the native VLAN. If we understand these devices correctly they are currently incapable of recognizing VLAN tags. The problem with the layer 2 customer comes in as they need there own VLAN to be passed via this trunk. We can't simply add it to the native VLAN. Here's the switch port config if it'll help:

interface FastEthernet0/24
description Ubiquity Rocket
switchport trunk native vlan 4
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,3,4,50
switchport mode trunk

The layer 2 customer is vlan 50. If it was possible I'd move them to their own access port but this is not possible. The VLAN 4 customers use operate via layer 3. Does anyone know how we can get this working? I've been told a beta firmware exists that will allow us to do what we're trying to do.
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Matt
Kudos: 2379
Solutions: 61
Contributions: 39

Re: VLAN trunking

If I understand correctly, you need the CPE devices to untag the the trunk VLANs, and you have no devices behind the CPE? You want the customer to be able to connect to the CPE untagged, and all upstream traffic (from CPE) to be tagged a certain VLAN?
And different customers may use different VLAN IDs?
Is this correct?
-Matt
R@som3d

Re: VLAN trunking

Hi Matt, you are correct.