GrasonC

AirRouter Best QOS settings for VOIP

Hi All,

New to Ubiquiti products but decided to purchase the AirRouter. I have a basic question concerning placement of the AirRouter and another regarding the best settings for VOIP TAs.

1) With the integrated antenna, would one expect better performance with the unit horizontal (laying flat) or vertical (hanging). In either case the unit will be ~7ft off the ground. It is located toward the end of house so the needed radiated pattern is roughly 180 deg. Not as concerned about a 360 deg coverage. Hope this makes sense.

2) The AirOs has a plethora of settings. Wondered if someone can recommend the best QOS settings for VOIP. I have a Phone Power GrandStream Terminal Adapter connecting into a LAN port. On the last 802.11n router I had (TrendNet) the conversations would get chopped up. The QOS capability on the AirRouter was one of the reasons I went for it.
Will port forwarding alone help? Hoping someone has found a configuration that works for them. Any and all advice appreciated.
Previous Employee
UBNT-Mike.Ford
Kudos: 12

Re: AirRouter Best QOS settings for VOIP

Hi All,

New to Ubiquiti products but decided to purchase the AirRouter. I have a basic question concerning placement of the AirRouter and another regarding the best settings for VOIP TAs.

1) With the integrated antenna, would one expect better performance with the unit horizontal (laying flat) or vertical (hanging). In either case the unit will be ~7ft off the ground. It is located toward the end of house so the needed radiated pattern is roughly 180 deg. Not as concerned about a 360 deg coverage. Hope this makes sense.

2) The AirOs has a plethora of settings. Wondered if someone can recommend the best QOS settings for VOIP. I have a Phone Power GrandStream Terminal Adapter connecting into a LAN port. On the last 802.11n router I had (TrendNet) the conversations would get chopped up. The QOS capability on the AirRouter was one of the reasons I went for it.
Will port forwarding alone help? Hoping someone has found a configuration that works for them. Any and all advice appreciated.

Hello,

1. It will perform roughly the same in both situations.

2. The AirOS firmware auto detects VOIP and Video applications and will give them priority over normal data.

Thanks,