andyandrickson
Kudos: 7

Waiting for aircam pro

when the first aircam's came out got some units.. and after testing, decided to discard it.. and wait for aircam pro. how many are in the same position ?
Distribuidor Premium de Equipos ubiquiti para
Republica Dominicana,Reseller for Dominican Republic
www.andrickson-wireless.com
Established Member
DrDiesel
Kudos: 423
Solutions: 2

Re: Waiting for aircam pro

I don't plan to discard any units, but I have stopped deployment till the software matures a bit. Once the pro version is released I do plan to re-purpose some of the standard Aircams and replace with Pro versions.
WA9SDJ
Professional Electron Wrangler
Veteran Member
Alan87i
Kudos: 1367
Solutions: 96

There are a few places where I can run the current hardware. But most of these will also require some IR cameras as well.
The software has to mature further before I can safely install it at a site.
And the firmware has to mature enough that i can grab mjpegs with ease from the cameras and integrate aircams into existing systems.
Until at least the firmware is updated too meet that need , I'd agree that i cannot purchase any more other that the ones i have here in the shop now.
And ATM I'm in need of 2 IP cams for a client that I can grab mjpeg images from with a simple user&password string in the cameras url.
Ubnt Swag is worth the wait!!
Established Member
bp2008
Kudos: 132
Solutions: 5

I think the current Aircam (bullet style) is certainly a great value as an outdoor camera, but it is physically quite large and the mounting hardware is poor. On top of that, there is no IR support. I would jump at the chance to buy an outdoor Aircam that can share its power with a 12v IR illuminator next to it, but far enough away to keep the bugs off the lens.
But what really keeps me from including Aircam in serious deployments is the limited firmware. I can't use the software I want to use because I need native resolution still images for that (ideally with customizable compression and without having to log in to get them). Aircam can't do anything on its own, and you need to use an h264 encoded rtsp stream in order to get native resolution imagery into external software. Airvision is not ready for serious use, and I haven't tried BlueIris or anything else to know if it is capable of meeting requirements either.
cbiggers

I think the current Aircam (bullet style) is certainly a great value as an outdoor camera, but it is physically quite large and the mounting hardware is poor. On top of that, there is no IR support. I would jump at the chance to buy an outdoor Aircam that can share its power with a 12v IR illuminator next to it, but far enough away to keep the bugs off the lens.

But what really keeps me from including Aircam in serious deployments is the limited firmware. I can't use the software I want to use because I need native resolution still images for that (ideally with customizable compression and without having to log in to get them). Aircam can't do anything on its own, and you need to use an h264 encoded rtsp stream in order to get native resolution imagery into external software. Airvision is not ready for serious use, and I haven't tried BlueIris or anything else to know if it is capable of meeting requirements either.

Check out Milestone Xprotect. They have a free 8 cam version. I have used alot of video recording software in my day and its great. I just started using it for my house.
Established Member
bp2008

Check out Milestone Xprotect. They have a free 8 cam version. I have used alot of video recording software in my day and its great. I just started using it for my house.

Thanks. I checked it out, but I don't think the free version meets my needs. The five day video retention limit really stands out, as you never know when you might need to go back 6 months to see something you didn't pay attention to then. The paid versions appear to be too expensive...

All I need from a security app is motion detection, email alerts with some actual intelligence behind it (most apps and IP cameras I have seen FAIL at this), and local storage of the pictures deemed important, but not important enough to email.

For the last 4 years or so, I have been doing exactly that, using my own purpose-built windows service. At my own home, I use it with 3 Aircams pulling 1 image per second from each of them (this is plenty if you aren't trying to analyze walking patterns or something). The combined CPU usage is about 15% on a Core 2 Duo E8500. Most of this CPU time is spent in a helper application which handles login and re-encoding of each image into the correct aspect ratio. Only about 1.5% CPU is used by the motion detection app for a single camera with 0.4 megapixel images (853x480) at 1fps. If I had native resolution images direct off the camera, it would probably be about 3-4% CPU per camera per FPS.
ChrisBenn
Kudos: 31

Check out BlueIris -- main downside is the web interface looks terrible and is pretty limited -- but otherwise I think it meets all your requirements
Established Member
bp2008

I tested BlueIris briefly. It does indeed look quite powerful and doesn't appear to use excessive RAM or CPU or anything. In fact, the camera support and customization is the best I have yet seen in a video security app. I particularly appreciate that it lets you set all the jpeg compression levels -- something most developers seem to neglect.

However, my usage environments typically are greatly limited in bandwidth, processing power, or both, and my own app was designed from the ground up with this in mind. BlueIris can't really compete with some of the features I developed for myself. I still have hopes that some day a firmware update will give me native resolution jpegs, so I can have the best of both worlds. But if not, maybe AirCam pro will provide!
cbiggers

How many cameras are you needing? I think a 2 camera copy of The unlimited recording Xprotect is $199. You can get addition camera licenses for $49 I think.