Highlighted
Kudos: 2

Torture test a tough switch

I am setting up a trailer with a radio group I am part of here in Utah. It will be used for setting up quick means of back up communications in emergency situations. We run a mix of 24 volt and 48 volt devices, so the best choice for a switch is a tough switch.  The question is has anyone torture tested a tough switch.  Being mounted in a trailer, this will be subject to extreme temperatures from below zero to over 150 degrees and vibration from driving down rough roads, is it possible that the switch could survive this? I understand that these are harsh conditions for any device

SuperUser
Kudos: 10090
Solutions: 615
Contributions: 1

Re: Torture test a tough switch

Have never mounted one in a vehicle, but we have them in outdoor un-cooled enclosures (although we try to have some outside air circulation so probably never at 150F...) and they work just fine.   Do be aware that at elevated temperatures the PTC fuses on the PoE ports will likely trip at lower current values since they are temperature dependant devices...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)

Thanks for the info.  I am trying to come up with a good solution for ventilation and still keeping things waterproof.  The fuse issue is good to know, it will be running a rocket 5AC, a liteBeam, an M2 rocket, a G3 camera, and an IP phone so there are e few devices, none of them pull high wattage so the fuses may be able to handle it.  I guess at this point, I will focus on moving the air around the gear and hope the vibrations dont shake everything to death.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 785
Solutions: 190

@kd7vea
Additionally to airflow/ventilation i would place that switch or rack, where everything is mounted, not directly to that vehicle chassis.
Use some buffers (anti-vibrations mounts, vibration isolators) to reduce shaking/moving. More advanced ones they use on private planes/ yachts for server racks and entertainment equipment.
(seen couple of years ago)

Something like this:
https://goo.gl/images/3VmuFb
===================================================
We all work for KUDOs here.
Thx

Thanks for the link.  I was already thinking of some sort of shock mount, but wasnt really sure what to use.  I guess worse case, a year from now I can post here and say its still working great, or 2 weeks from now I can say it was a bad idea.