Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Network in Wooded Area

Hi all,

I am a radio broadcast engineer w/ 30 years of RF experience but am finding the current array of wireless network products baffling.

I maintain a private network of Bullet2HP's where 1 is an AP to Internet and several additional B2HP nodes are connected to the AP (home, shop, warehouse, gates, cameras, etc). Most of the nodes are within 1000ft of each other and are mostly using 16dbi vpol panels. The AP is using an 8dbi omni. All nodes can see and transfer data to any other node thru the AP. Most of the nodes can communicate directly but the signal is unusable when foliage is heavy and wet.

All of this network is in a hilly, heavy wooded area. All Nodes are LOS (terrain wise) to the AP but not to each other. All are in the woods. All Nodes have good signal to/from the AP and throughput is OK. However we are adding a number of network video cameras and have found that the required bandwidth is exceeding the capabilities of the current network architecture. All B2HP's are G-only. We will have to maintain access via g to accommodate laptops, etc. That could be done via a dedicated g-only AP for them.

No security is in use currently other than MAC filtering. This network is in a very rural area.

We would like to stay with the Bullet product line since we already have antennas in place but would consider other alternatives.

My questions:

1. Will we see a marked improvement in throughput to change to BM2HP's?
2. If we can get a reliable signal from Node to Node, would eliminating the AP/repeater improve throughput using the existing B2HP's? If so, how much?
3. Any other UBNT product that would serve better?

Please be gentle. This is my first time posting here...

Thanks in advance,

Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD
KK Broadcast Engineering
Ancient Member
Kudos: 5937
Solutions: 128

Re: Network in Wooded Area

You may want to consider to wireless networks. One as a hotspot for the laptops that will be legacy 802.11g support and one for the video streaming that will use AirMax MIMO for speed.

Upgrading from the legacy Bullet 2 to the Bullet M2 will not have any advantage becasue the M2 would have to run in legacy 802.11g mode and not have any benefits of AirMax.

For short distances through wet trees, MIMO is very promising.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....

You may want to consider to wireless networks. One as a hotspot for the laptops that will be legacy 802.11g support and one for the video streaming that will use AirMax MIMO for speed.

Upgrading from the legacy Bullet 2 to the Bullet M2 will not have any advantage becasue the M2 would have to run in legacy 802.11g mode and not have any benefits of AirMax.

For short distances through wet trees, MIMO is very promising.

Thanks WHT,
I was fairly sure that we would have to run 2 networks to have 802.11g AP's for legacy g support. All channels are available in the area of this property so that won't be a problem.
Would the Bullet M2's be suitable for the high speed network or should I look at something like the Rocket M2? Money is an object but I want to do this right and not have to rerebuild if bandwidth requirements increase again. I ask about the Bullet M2's because I have a number of 2.4 Type-N antennas of various types on the shelf.
Thanks again for any and all assistance.
Ancient Member
Kudos: 5937
Solutions: 128

NanoBridge M2-15 would be a good choice to get through wet foliage.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....

Thanks,

I just ordered 4 NanoBridge M2-18 and will test later this week. I didn't find -15 units but ordered -18.