Highlighted
Kudos: 89
Solutions: 4
Accepted Solution

Changing tower switches, EdgeMax or Unifi? your opinion...

Hello coleagues.

Some of our older towers have maxed out their TS5, some had solid TP-Link NetJet managed switches etc.

TS5 are fine, but we have the hardware issue.

I bought and imported a Netonix, i do love  the power per port . But they are hard to get in my country and too expensive for our budget.

I was thinking of using Edgemax switches, but then most towers only need 16 ports, and the EdgePoint 16 is $995 usd here, vs $589 on the unifi 16 poe switch.

So i was thinking going unifi on the tower switches.

Might be nice to see them all under one platform. (we already run a large unifi server but no switches)

I have had Aircontrol on perpetual beta Ubnt Banana, with just the promise of eventually adding their TS.

I would like to hear your opinion pros or cons of EdgeMax vs unifi switches on a simple scenario, no vlans, mostly bridged lan.

Towers have 110vac already

Most dont need more than 8 ports, larger ones might need a 16port unit.

I need POE bounce and being able to see where is the bandwith going with details.

all comments and ideas are welcomed

Accepted Solutions
Ancient Member
Kudos: 8010
Solutions: 1230

Re: Changing tower switches, EdgeMax or Unifi? your opinion...

How would you manage a remote UniFi switch if the network between the switch and the controller is down?  Personally I would want to have access to the UI even if the switch is not connected to a live nework.

Keep in mind also that there is no 48V passive PoE so you would need to trust that 802.3af/at is going to do it for you.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ancient Member

How would you manage a remote UniFi switch if the network between the switch and the controller is down?  Personally I would want to have access to the UI even if the switch is not connected to a live nework.

Keep in mind also that there is no 48V passive PoE so you would need to trust that 802.3af/at is going to do it for you.

Kudos: 89
Solutions: 4

ha! Icon Idea Iagree   now there´s why its not a good idea.  Totally missed that.

thanks

Kudos: 47
Solutions: 5

What country are you from?

SuperUser
Kudos: 6837
Solutions: 422
Contributions: 1

For tower sites I would seriously consider the EdgePoint S16 and R8 - they are a bit pricey, but they are actually designed just for this and with the EdgePower units to power them you can have it all - AC/DC power system with battery backup, 16 ports to drive radios, 54V DC power for big Air Fibers, fiber connectivity (up to 10Gb with the S16) , etc.   We're using more and more of these - I just commissioned one site with an R8 and an R6 for nultiple broadcast radios and management of AirFibers...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
Ancient Member

agidi wrote:

I bought and imported a Netonix, i do love  the power per port . But they are hard to get in my country and too expensive for our budget.

I was thinking of using Edgemax switches, but then most towers only need 16 ports, and the EdgePoint 16 is $995 usd here, vs $589 on the unifi 16 poe switch.

I just checked on LandaMex and the WS-24 is listed at $574 and in stock.  Not sure if they are cheaper than you importing.

LandaMex is showing the EP-16 as $543.  I have to wonder if their site is not geolocating me and showing me different pricing.