Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Kudos: 92
Solutions: 4
Accepted Solution

Changing tower switches, EdgeMax or Unifi? your opinion...

Hello coleagues.

Some of our older towers have maxed out their TS5, some had solid TP-Link NetJet managed switches etc.

TS5 are fine, but we have the hardware issue.

I bought and imported a Netonix, i do love  the power per port . But they are hard to get in my country and too expensive for our budget.

I was thinking of using Edgemax switches, but then most towers only need 16 ports, and the EdgePoint 16 is $995 usd here, vs $589 on the unifi 16 poe switch.

So i was thinking going unifi on the tower switches.

Might be nice to see them all under one platform. (we already run a large unifi server but no switches)

I have had Aircontrol on perpetual beta Ubnt Banana, with just the promise of eventually adding their TS.

I would like to hear your opinion pros or cons of EdgeMax vs unifi switches on a simple scenario, no vlans, mostly bridged lan.

Towers have 110vac already

Most dont need more than 8 ports, larger ones might need a 16port unit.

I need POE bounce and being able to see where is the bandwith going with details.

all comments and ideas are welcomed

Accepted Solutions
Ancient Member
Kudos: 8501
Solutions: 1307

Re: Changing tower switches, EdgeMax or Unifi? your opinion...

How would you manage a remote UniFi switch if the network between the switch and the controller is down?  Personally I would want to have access to the UI even if the switch is not connected to a live nework.

Keep in mind also that there is no 48V passive PoE so you would need to trust that 802.3af/at is going to do it for you.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ancient Member

How would you manage a remote UniFi switch if the network between the switch and the controller is down?  Personally I would want to have access to the UI even if the switch is not connected to a live nework.

Keep in mind also that there is no 48V passive PoE so you would need to trust that 802.3af/at is going to do it for you.

ha! Icon Idea Iagree   now there´s why its not a good idea.  Totally missed that.

thanks

Kudos: 49
Solutions: 5

What country are you from?

SuperUser
Kudos: 7643
Solutions: 481
Contributions: 1

For tower sites I would seriously consider the EdgePoint S16 and R8 - they are a bit pricey, but they are actually designed just for this and with the EdgePower units to power them you can have it all - AC/DC power system with battery backup, 16 ports to drive radios, 54V DC power for big Air Fibers, fiber connectivity (up to 10Gb with the S16) , etc.   We're using more and more of these - I just commissioned one site with an R8 and an R6 for nultiple broadcast radios and management of AirFibers...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
Ancient Member

agidi wrote:

I bought and imported a Netonix, i do love  the power per port . But they are hard to get in my country and too expensive for our budget.

I was thinking of using Edgemax switches, but then most towers only need 16 ports, and the EdgePoint 16 is $995 usd here, vs $589 on the unifi 16 poe switch.

I just checked on LandaMex and the WS-24 is listed at $574 and in stock.  Not sure if they are cheaper than you importing.

LandaMex is showing the EP-16 as $543.  I have to wonder if their site is not geolocating me and showing me different pricing.

Just keeping you in the loop, i appreciated all the input, choices we analysed, desicions were taken.

We finally went with netonix mini6 from a new supplier, thanks to @LLigetfa
It was the right size, and where it came short, a second one was still within the budget.
The EP 16 was just too much medicine.
We get the detailed power usage per port, nice utilities, good performance. Its all i needed nothing i did not.

Since AirControl, does not support even its own brand of hardware. i ordered a couple of this other brand.
The rest of the budget went into more APs and CPEs.

hopefully we will need larger switches in the future with gbics and then employ the S16
thanks
Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

mikrotik gear anyone?