Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Kudos: 26
Solutions: 5

Fusion splicer question

Guys,

I'm thinking of buying fusion splicer but i have no experience in fiber optic network and in fusion splicer. can you give me some advice about what brand is  base on my budget of $800 to $1000. 

in additional, can you give me a list of compatible fiber optic cable for that fusion splicer  and what equipment i need to deploy fiber to home.

Regards,

Alex

WISP - Bicol Region, Philippines
www.adamosbroadband.com
SuperUser
Kudos: 6715
Solutions: 543
Contributions: 2

Re: Fusion splicer question

[ Edited ]

For that budget, I would stick to mechanical connectors.

Ones like these will work.

http://www.fibertronics-store.com/Mechanical-Connectors_c311.htm

I use a Fujikura mass fusion splicer, but those are in the $15,000 range without accessories.

Get the mechincal connectors, get a good cleaver and cleaning kit with strippers on ebay, and you should be good to go.  

Also, it takes me about 10 minutes to prep, set up fusion splice, shrink the fiber protector, tuck it all in a splice tray etc.

I can do a mechinical connection faster than I can do an ethernet crimp.  Big difference in time. 

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Ancient Member
Kudos: 8377
Solutions: 1295

ClaudeSS wrote:

For that budget, I would stick to mechanical connectors... 

Or go hat in hand to the CFO to get your budget increased.

Kudos: 88
Solutions: 8

You can get a Chinese fusion splicer for a grand. That's the total sum of your options.

thank you very much for your advice.

can you give me some idea, example,  there is fiber optic cut, how do you repair that problem? i have no idea about this and i think this is my biggest problem if i deploy fiber to home.

www.adamosbroadband.com

IPtrans wrote:
You can get a Chinese fusion splicer for a grand. That's the total sum of your options.

can you give me some specs and link of chinese fusion splicer?

www.adamosbroadband.com

ClaudeSS wrote:

I use a Fujikura mass fusion splicer, but those are in the $15,000 range without accessories.

Get the mechincal connectors, get a good cleaver and cleaning kit with strippers on ebay, and you should be good to go.  

Also, it takes me about 10 minutes to prep, set up fusion splice, shrink the fiber protector, tuck it all in a splice tray etc.

I can do a mechinical connection faster than I can do an ethernet crimp.  Big difference in time. 

can i use this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-in-1-Fiber-Optic-FTTH-Tool-Kit-FC-6S-Cutter-Power-Meter-Visual-Fault-Loca...
or 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiber-Optic-FTTH-Tools-Kit-FC-6S-Fiber-Cleaver-Optical-Power-Meter-10Mw-VFL-...
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-set-Fiber-Optic-FTTH-Tool-Kit-SKL-6C-Fiber-Cleaver-Optical-Power-Meter...
www.adamosbroadband.com

No, I am not giving you any specs or links. You have no business buying and importing fusion splicers from China.

Your problem isn't that you don't know how to fix a cable. Your problem is that you know nothing about fiber optics.

Start here: http://www.thefoa.org/tech/ref/contents.html

Read all the articles, watch all the videos and get all the books.

I'm assuming you have large sums of money. If not, start by acquiring large sums of money. With that money, procure the services of an experienced and competent telecoms lawyer. Using lawyer, acquire all required licenses, permits and certificates needed to use and operate in the public right of way. Pay for all licenses, permits, certificates and training to get all your installers qualified. Pay the right of way owners. Purchase insurance. Procure all vehicles, tools and materials required for the buildout.

Congratulations! Now you are ready to start building your fiber networks.
SuperUser

Nanflexal wrote:

ClaudeSS wrote:

can i use this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-in-1-Fiber-Optic-FTTH-Tool-Kit-FC-6S-Cutter-Power-Meter-Visual-Fault-Loca...
or 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiber-Optic-FTTH-Tools-Kit-FC-6S-Fiber-Cleaver-Optical-Power-Meter-10Mw-VFL-...
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-set-Fiber-Optic-FTTH-Tool-Kit-SKL-6C-Fiber-Cleaver-Optical-Power-Meter...

All of those should work.

Established Member
Kudos: 229
Solutions: 28

Did you get out the wrong side of bed this morning IPtrans?  Who are you to tell anyone else what they can or can't import from China?  

Funny Man Happy

I'm just stating a fact. If you have to ask on a public forum how optic fiber splicing works then you are not qualified to import fusion splicers from China.
SuperUser

IPtrans wrote:
Funny Man Happy

I'm just stating a fact. If you have to ask on a public forum how optic fiber splicing works then you are not qualified to import fusion splicers from China.

Ok, so no where in the ops post did he say he was going to build a fiber optic network along a roadway.

All he asked was how to get started splicing fiber and for recommendations.  There are plenty of people that do splicing for small deployments.  And everyone needs to start somewhere.

The links to the fiber optics association are good one though. 

Kudos: 123

We are working in a 3rd world country where most of the population prefers cheap Chinese materials above higher quality/priced ones.

To stay competetive we have to skim on all aspects of operations. For example most of transportation is done with ran-down pick-up trucks.  If the engine still works, it can be used.

However all our field technicians have Fujikura and Sumitomo fusion splicers - depending on the experience of the team leaders and importance of their assignments.  Both suppliers even have products, especially focusing on 3rd world market.

On national level I heard there were quite some tests with much, much cheaper Chinese splicers.  They found out this crap is useless even in our price sensitive environment. 

A good entry level splicer is obviously a serious investment.  However if maintained correctly they last forever, even in the dusty, dirty field.

If you don't have the budget for a proper branded splicer, go for mechanical splicing.  Do not go for Chinese rubbish.

thank you guys. there is small company that offer such service and i already contact them.  i will do all the job except for splicing if i decide to be deploy fiber.

but before i deploy fiber i want to know how to terminate fiber optic cable. so this is about learning and dontblame me for being ignorant in fiber optic because everyone start from the beginning.

www.adamosbroadband.com

You're in the Philippines.  We probably have a very similar situation and needs as we have here in Indonesia.  We have deployed thousands of kilometers, from feeder to distribution to drop, aerial and underground, active and passive. 

PM me if you need help.

Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 23
Solutions: 1

A Fusion Splicer needs maintaining and fixing when it is not working properly. To  hire them when needed is so much easier than owning one.

Except for the arches a splicer doesn't need too much maintenance.  We operate many in less than ideal conditions: dusty environments, +90% humidity, climbing poles with the splicer around the neck.

Except for the arches and sometimes a battery swap we don't do too much maintenance.

What certainly does help with the lifespan, is focusing on clean materials; a badly cleaned lead will affect the allignment and will put unnessesary extra counts on the arch. Worn out cleaver blades will result in multiple, costly arch trials.  We all do reset the blade counter (sic), but just don't push it too far to the limits. 

Badly cleaned gel-filled cables will eventually prepare the entire unit for scrap.  Obviously less an issue on dry-block type of cable but still, clean, clean and clean.