Highlighted
Kudos: 72
Solutions: 6

New Tower Site, Rural Community, 2km radius sector or PrismStation

Looking for real world advice,

we have a new tower being built and I can’t help but think that AC sectors are over kill for a 2 kms radius. We have a little community, 100 homes approximately who we want to serve with internet. They are surrounded on 3 side by large hills so going beyond 2 kms is not useful.

can anyone shed light in the prism station at this distance? Or should I stick with the AC sectors.

Throughput is 25 mbps down and 10 mbps upload per subscriber,

Thoughts?

Regards,

Chris
www.edgarhighspeed.com
Kudos: 156
Solutions: 2

Re: New Tower Site, Rural Community, 2km radius sector or PrismStation

[ Edited ]

We're seeing fantastic results with them - I've got a customer 7.5km out from a Prismstation with 60degree horn, at good 8x/8x rates, tested them well above 40Mbps.  Another on a mountainside with RF-Elements Ultrahorn to get a spot beam on a town, 15 customers on that so far, at 5km distance. 

These are great little units, and you can pack them onto a pole pretty close without co-channel interference.

I'll also add that being so small, getting acceptance from businesses and residents to put up an array is very easy compared to a stack of sectors.

SuperUser
Kudos: 10497
Solutions: 641
Contributions: 1

At that short a distance the real question is how fast you will be putting customers on.   I would not use anything but AC radios, and for short links like that we use LiteBeam Gen2s for CPE, because they are a fantastic bargain and they work great.   One nice thing about the PrismStations is that you can use a small number of them with the sector horns to start with, and as you add more customers you can switch to narrower horns and add more APs to get more customers on the system.   And with GPS capability for sync you can keep the self-interference to a minimum.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
Kudos: 72
Solutions: 6

My thoughts exactly,

litebeam AC Gen 2 and nanostation loco AC’s for the really close customers.

i am think 6x 60 degree horns. 

Thanks for the advice @eejimm

Regards,

Chris
www.edgarhighspeed.com