Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted

Start A WISP

Hey there.... I've been presented with a challenge. I want to start a WISP in my area to cover 70 subscribers within a one square mile radius of me. I'd like to keep is somewhat simple but have advanced features such as using only ubiquiti APs and such. Are there any suggestions that anyone can give me? Budget to start is $15k-$20k. I do not need a technician to help, but rather someone to give me advice.

We have obstructions such as other dwellings and hundred year old trees to consider.

I would provide a tiered service to customers. I'd have a pipe for either 100 meg or 150 meg delivered to me to be distributed. I want to actually lease out the access points like large ISPs lease modems.

Basically I'm asking for infrastructure and software help. What would I need regarding sending a signal to clients? What would I need to receive signal on client end? And everything in between...
Established Member
Kudos: 624
Solutions: 45

Re: Start A WISP

DonoFraz wrote:
Basically I'm asking for infrastructure and software help. What would I need regarding sending a signal to clients? What would I need to receive signal on client end? And everything in between...

That right there says you are way over your head on this. I read often in this forum that experienced professionals will tell you the forum is for support not for having them design your WISP from scratch. Some members could be willing to help you but that will eat up your entire $20K budget.

My name is Jesus. I'm Mexican. You pronounce it HAY-soos not GEE-sus.
Established Member

Waiting for wtm to type "dreamer" in bold 10 point text.
SuperUser
Kudos: 3187
Solutions: 244

Magbis wrote:
Waiting for wtm to type "dreamer" in bold 10 point text.

That's definitely worth a kudo.

Tony Pierro
CTO - Wireless Internet Services, Inc.
SuperUser
Kudos: 7749
Solutions: 233

Will these threads ever die @Magbis ?

@DonoFraz It's not that we're not willing to help here... we absolutely are!  You have to do much of the work yourself beforehand though, or be prepared to $$$$$.

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
Kudos: 68
Solutions: 7

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2665
Solutions: 168

[ Edited ]

@WisTech

@Magbis

Just wait till the guy with 10 posts, comes on here to tell the guy with the 1 post on how to do it !

(Sorry, I was out of town picking up microwave dishes in Dallas this weekend)

Kudos: 4

wtm wrote:

@WisTech

@Magbis

Just wait till the guy with 10 posts, comes on here to tell the guy with the 1 post on how to do it !

The way you do it is very easy! First you sacrifice animals to the ISP gods and after enough sacrifices they will bless you with a level 1 WISP to show their appreciation.

Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) Routing & Switching
Bachelor of Science - School of Information Technology
Established Member

wtm wrote:

I needed to borrow Justin's trailer last weekend getting dishes but we were in Carrollton a 'burb of north Dallas.

I found all the items I need ranging from the pole to mount the stations, pod injectors, switches, routers, software. Now it is more of implementation. Thanks for the sarcastic comments. Doesn't hurt to be nicer to people you know. I had the concept in my head. I did not need anyone to design anything for me. I was looking for suggestions based on previous experiences from others. So much for hospitality.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 2665
Solutions: 168

@DonoFraz

Sorry, your still.........

DREAMING ! Idea