Highlighted
Kudos: 143
Solutions: 8

Trump Broadband Grants

Any one hear more information about new grants for rural broadband deployments? 

https://www.cnet.com/news/trump-infrastructure-plan-leaves-out-rural-broadband-funding/

From what I gather, they are just throwing money at local, city,state gvmnt and saying spend it as you like, on what you need. Rather than demanding that it be spent on specific things. In my eyes that means that we need to partner with municipality and have them make the case for grant approval. 

Something like - 

City X needs internet, we have taken bids from companies 1, 2, and 3 and estimate that deployment and operational costs to be 1 Million dollars. Company to pay for 500k in deployment, city x seeking a grant from the state (or fed) for the remaining 500k which will be given to company as needed to pay for things like pole deployment, conduit, tower costs (things that are life long investments and not necessarily specific to whatever company happens to be using them first) 

Basically saying - If you pay for the path way (city) we will pay for the service provision (company) and if we ever go out of business you will still have all the infrastructure you need to not have to make another large investment. 

Kudos: 131
Solutions: 11

Re: Trump Broadband Grants

[ Edited ]
"We will build gleaming new roads, bridges, highways, railways, and waterways all across our land," he said. "And we will do it with American heart, and American hands, and American grit."

Sounds to me like he wants real infrastructure addressed. (roads, bridges, etc.)

Not necessarily a bad thing.

Improved transportation means improved trade, means more jobs, etc.

Aren't there federal programs for broadband deployment already?

Kudos: 160
Solutions: 17

Re: Trump Broadband Grants

Check out the CAF II Funding.