0 Kudos

Auto negotiate QoS (smart queue) settings

Submitted by -

My internet connection is sometimes quite unstable, it is supposed to be 100MBit down and 6MBit up on cable. Unfortunately connection speed drops sometimes down to e.g. 20MBit down and 2MBit up. For QoS to work permanently I have to setup the lowest possible value.

I do not know if possible, but it would be awesome if my ER-X could check connection speed and auto-adjust QoS settings accordingly.

The reason why I use ER-X with QoS (smart queue) is the buffer bloat phenomenon, which disappears with the right settings. Using 20/2 MBit down/up as standard value is kind of dissapointing on a 100/6 MBit connection. 

Comments
by
on ‎11-06-2017 10:51 AM

what I basically mean is something like "dynamic QoS". (I know the expression dynamic QoS exists, I am just not sure if it is identical with my approach Biggrinjester

by
on ‎11-20-2017 04:01 PM

Our internet connection is set for burst. However, the burst size is not guaranteed just maxed at a certain amount. I wish the Qos could identify the minimum size (the fixed rate) but detect if more is available (the burst) and utilize it (based on packet reply ms or something of that nature). Even if I could properly set the burst size it would not be accurate as it is not guaranteed. Now properly calculating for non-guranteed burst with a minimum floor value that is a Qos challenge!

by
on ‎07-12-2018 10:47 PM

Thanks for your answer. But even the minimum rate being detected is good for me, thats what I am doing manually atm. There should be an try with increasing the rate automatically though. Or just a manual check on button press to auto-negotiate the up- and download bandwidth for that moment.

Thanks for your help!