0 Kudos

DHCP entries for non-network IPs

Submitted by -

so I own my own cable modem, which is effectively non-managable other than a status page on a fixed IP (occasionally useful to see cable network connectivity/info)... since it's not inside my network, I would prefer to keep track of that IP by name somehow.

As it turns out, adding a static DHCP lease is *NOT* the answer.

- First and foremost, if my input is going to break the service (as it did), please don't allow it in the interface.

- Second, if my input is STILL desirable, perhaps it can be kept as a note, outside of the actual dhcpd.conf (again as to not break dhcpd)

- Third, perhaps there is or could be a way/place to add a static name/IP entry elsewhere (hosts/etc)?

on ‎02-16-2018 11:54 AM

This sounds like more of a DNS and routing issue than a DCHP feature. DCHP should only be used for adresses you are assigning, not for giving DNS names to devices/ips upstream. 

on ‎02-16-2018 12:59 PM

I agree that what I was doing wasn't the intention of DHCP.

but as I mentioned in the "first and foremost", my input should be validated such that it won't break the service... I should not have been able to add the "static lease" if it was going to break DHCP.

4 weeks ago

Ahh, so the issue is the interface let you set a static map for an IP not in that dhcp server's subnet. 

And you can set static DNS for IPs via cli in System -> static-host-mapping which is also avalibe in the Config Tree part of the GUI.