Edgerouter Centralized Management Console

Submitted by -

It would be nice to see something like AirControl or UniFi for managing / viewing multiple edge routers (centralized configuration backups, mass firmware updates, etc). Anything like this in the works? Maybe call it EdgeControl and mimic the functionality of AirControl?

on ‎05-27-2016 09:24 PM
I'd like to see something like this. Really.... how about just integrating it with unifi?
on ‎05-28-2016 08:02 AM

Ditto to this...  Would also love some sort of auto-configuration along the lines of TR-069.

on ‎05-28-2016 08:28 AM
+1 for EdgeControl
on ‎05-31-2016 08:58 AM
@rebelwireless - I imagine they would say they are already on that path with the USG products. What's annoying to me is why the hard line that only Unifi firmware can be loaded on Unifi hardware and vice- versa? If they would let you swap Max and Unifi firmware as needed I think they would see people a lot more willing to embrace Unifi, especially since they finally seem to be on the path to feature parity of Unifi to the EdgeRouter GUI with the v5 Unifi controller.
on ‎05-31-2016 09:08 AM
@EricE I do agree that it would be nice to be able to flip between unifi and edgeos firmwares, though I can see the other side. Unifi looks like unifi, edgemax doesn't. Creating a 'brand' in unifi means keeping consistency.. Really, I'd like to see a 'unified' base with the unifi bits just a package that can be turned on or off on a whim. A USG could become just an ER-L (or close to it). I wonder where they are going to go with central management of edgemax gear. I'd really like to see it be 'unifi-ed' and have edgemax gear simply connect to a unifi controller.. If for nothing more than monitoring and tunneled access to the UI and CLI. Maybe edgemax will get integrated more with *CRM.. which is also good. One thing about the *CRM option, I really hope to see the choice of having the edgemax device reach out to the controller so it can be used for MSP type setups. I realize that there is a bit of a conflict here in that I think unifi is meant to handle the MSP type setups, but many of us have edgemax gear out there and will continue to and having either a separate *CRM option to manage them, or integrating with Unifi, is high-value.
on ‎05-31-2016 12:26 PM

@rebelwireless - I agree with your thoughts too, especially for being able to at least monitor EdgeMax devices from Unifi.  It would also be nice to monitor at least some of the Airmax stuff from Unifi too.  I have a couple of sites where I use Nanostation Loco M5's to bridge buildings, and being able to see their stats from within Unifi would be awesome.  I don't need to necessarily control them since they are pretty much set it and forget it - but being able to see their signal strenght and the throuput on the link would greatly enhance the Unifi console.  

on ‎05-31-2016 12:32 PM
@EricE - I'd actually rather see a Unifi firmware for many of the AirMAX radios, and a specific 'unifi backhaul' mode so that some airmax gear could be tightly integrated into unifi. I doubt we'd ever see anything on the old M5 gear, but AC gear might be a good add.
on ‎05-31-2016 12:50 PM

That's not a bad idea at all - having UniFi controller able to see and display some of the info from AirMax/AF radios.   Integrating them into a UniFi environment for inter-building campus environments where they are all inside the Firewall and still being able to monitor.manage them from UniFi would be very useful.   I would think this could be done with a versaion of AC2/CRM running along side the UniFi controller, with the results available in the controller GUI...

@UBNT-Brandon  any thoughts on this?

on ‎05-31-2016 12:53 PM
@eejimm and @UBNT-Brandon how about a 'unifi-lite' agent? As in, use a near-stock airmax firmware and just have it report a couple things to a unifi-controller. Specifically, is it online, signal levels... Just the basics. Don't even spend the effort to 'control' the device w/ unifi, just adopt it for information gathering in the unifi-controller.
by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎05-31-2016 12:53 PM

So agreed I think it should be in airControl.  (I'd vote for airControl over UniFi as airControl already has the controls more gear towards WISPs - and UniFi does now).

CC: @UBNT-Vlad