Similar to https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Feature-Requests/EdgeRouter-boot-Reboot-indicator/idi-p/1708285 I posit that a few things are necessary for LED behaviour. I'm primiarly thinking of the ER-X/EP and ES product lines
- strobe the power LED while booting (or steady during boot, flashing while operating; debate all you want) so that there is a visual indication that the system has completed booting and normal activity should be underway; another more basic option may be to have all LEDs on until booting is complete - this might be easier to accomplish in hardware
- in absense of the above, indicate passive PoE ASAP; if a field tech doesn't know if the system is booted or not, they may connect a laptop to diagnose... and minutes later fry their ethernet port when PoE comes up
- Have the ability to strobe the LED a la Locate in UniFi. Is this especially important now with UNMS' remote management. We can have the best labelling in the world - sometimes it falls off, sometimes techs don't bother, sometimes the gear comes back to the shop years later, sometimes you're about to deploy 200 pieces of gear and the pile is getting challenging
There are a number of requests that depend on having firmware based on a newer Linux kernel. The 3.10 series kernel is already EOL as of Nov. 5, 2017 (a couple of weeks prior to this posting) and not recommended for use by its maintainer, even if it were upgraded to the latest 3.10.108 instead of the current 3.10.14:
As I understand it, there are challenges to upgrading the EdgeOS kernel due to dependencies on the Cavium and MediaTek SDKs, as well as UnionFS support not being in newer kernels. It should be possible to overcome each of these things with some effort and investment, and it's a requirement for keeping the EdgeOS platform relevant.
This request originally came about because of an effort to include the Cake shaper, which would bring a real improvement for control of latency under load as compared to the currently shipped fq_codel. Cake has been compiled for EdgeOS, but is very difficult to keep backported to the 3.10 series:
However, a newer kernel is also necessary to maintain a secure, stable and performant platform in general. The 4.4 kernel series has a projected long-term EOL of Feb, 2022, and thus might be a good minimum version to target.
we currently run vyos as a vm in our infrusturcture. (in a commercial setting) while vyos is a great router os, lack of commercial support or fulltime development means it lacks a steady relase cycle.
before vyos, we used vyatta with much success. unfortunately brocade saw things differently, and sought to overprice vrouter and effectivly end all suport for the community edition. With the commercial edition restricively expensive we moved to vyos.
if Ubnt were willing to release a commercial edition of edgeos AS A VM with either a licenseing option or by purchasing a hardware router with the ability to 'migrate' the serial number to a vm etc. we would be the first to purchase it.
i know this has been asked before, however knowing that ubnt has hired a few of the previous dev team at vyatta, i feel this would be a nice homage to their roots of the USG, Edgerouter, and edgeswitch lines.
EDIT: If ubnt would like to support the large enterprise and carriers a VM is a must. alot of these types of infrustructures already have a full Hypervisor cluster in place which has much higher levels of redundancy than a single hardware appliance can provide.
many of the top network vendors have this already, from Cisco, to Fortinet, to Juniper. if UBNT wants to gain market share against those brands this would be a fairly easy way to do so with very litle R&D cost, as compared to a hardware device.
Currently on all EdgeRouters, disabling a port, leaves the ethernet carrier up and the lights continue to blink.
In the case of EdgeRouters with switch chips, data continues to pass through the switch on disabled ports assigned to a switch. On routed ports (not on a switch), the routing is stopped, but ethernet hardware kept up on both ethernet and SFP ports.
The desired behavior is to drop the hardware ethernet carrier state when a port is disabled. This allows quick ospf triggering of port down state and is common sense behavior when someone plugs a cable into a disabled port.
For those with alpha forum access, see also here:
We need true Multicast Routing (PIM) in EdgeSwitches please! We were hoping to replace an aging Juniper with SFP+ fiber uplinks to another L3 switch across campus with the ES-48 that we bought. We can't so long as they don't have true PIM. MRV won't work in our topology.
Also, upvotes for PIM in EdgeRouter.
I believe there are various threads in the EdgeMax forum discussing and making available various scripts to auto-populate and compile list of networks and addresses from various reliable sources such as SpamHaus to block.
Is it possible for UBNT to consider making this a feature available to all users who may not be skilled enough to do so manually?
It seems the Qualcomm Fast Path module improves the performance a lot.
It will be great if this can be added into EdgeOS.
It's great that we got "the beast" EdgeRouter Infinity with SFP+ ports.
We do need a smaller version with like 1 or 2 SFP+ ports and 4 RJ45 1 Gbps ports.
Size like EdgeRouter 4/6 to fit in smaller enclosure and to be used with EP-S16 that also have SFP+ port.
On my request You gave us EdgeRouter 5 PoE, now please give us a small EdgeRouter with SFP+ port
Thanks in advance....
I would like to see the feature implemented of having an L2TP over IPSec client running on the EdgeRouter. We have serval instances where we need this for client implementation where native IPSec to IPSec is due to technical restriction on the remote end is not an option. My thoughts to the features would be:
- ideally configurable via GUI
- define specific remote networks for routing (or have them advertised by head-end)
- status shown in vpn section
I have also seen some others asking for such a solution in the forums, so I am hoping for some support for this implementation request.
I'd love to see htop added to standard image on EdgeOS routers. It is very useful when debugging performance when there's a need to watch each core separately. Current top doesn't provide this details.
P.S.: I understand htop can be added via dpkg, but this brings brings another issue with limited storage on ER-X series and unnecessary repo config and apt-cache space use. Having htop in standard image would be the most efficient way.
there is a similar request for USG:
ZeroTier is a VERY simple VPN/SDN client that is cross platform. They have a debian jessie build for mips64 and the guys at zerotier are very responsive so I'm sure they'd work with ubiquiti to get a build going. The configuration options are also very simple. join, leave, and status so a UI would be cake.
I would like to have support added for the Cake shaper (https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/Cake/). This shaper is working well for me with Smart Queue Management on LEDE 17.01 to eliminate bufferbloat (https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/) better than the EdgeMax Smart Queue feature and fairly share bandwidth per LAN IP address rather than per connection on an ADSL2+ link. I have "dual-dsthost nat" set for the ingress queueing discipline and "dual-srchost nat" set for the egress queueing discipline.
sch_cake kernel module:
Patch to add cake support to iproute2:
I am using the layer_cake.qos script at the moment.
- mWare on: Make the LEDs more useful & safe
- waterside on: Do not require a password for a user that has an SSH key configured
- khbkhb on: IoT/Security wizard
- twaffle on: When using PPPoE have checkmark to auto apply MSS Clamping
- pw on: object into object-group into firewalling
- feedmytv on: Unbound for DNS
- Bryanrca on: EdgeOS as a VM
- Tritorus on: Upgrade Linux kernel to at least 4.4
- thorntonbros on: Auto negotiate QoS (smart queue) settings
- joelcarlton on: Add htop to standard image
- Selectable level of wattage for Passive PoE in EdgeMAX
- Allow IPv6 firewall entries with dynamic PD prefix + static host address
- Make the LEDs more useful & safe
- PIM in EdgeSwitch OS Please!
- WAN connection monitor
- Add CLI button to EdgeSwitch GUI
- Change the name of VLAN1 Default
- SNMP variable for ethernet link speed
- Basic Web Server Setup Installation
- Edgemax - Conf-sync