01/29/2018
24V Power Distribution Unit
Reason for Installation
24V Power Distribution Unit custom built with Altronix LINQ8PD for powering and management of major site fully redundant router installation
Used Products
×1
×1
Description

We have been DC powering all our sites for several years now, using either 24 or 54V DC, or a combination of both.   While the EdgePower is perfect for 54V power (to run our AirFiber 5/24/24HDs, ES-8-150s, and EdgePoint R8/S16s) there hasn't been a 24V Power System with the same capabilities available.   For basic power we use the Tycon TP-BC24-300   http://tyconsystems.com/index.php/battery-chargers/411-tp-bc24-300

which is a very nice power supply/charger/regulator, it has no remote monitoring or management capabilitiy like the EdgePower does.   So I've been looking for a long time for something to do this.

A user on the Forum here pointed me to the Altronix LINQ8PD PDU board.  Altronix is one tof the top fire alarm and security vendors in the world, so their stuff is built really well.   And the LINQ8PD is a very nice unitPDU.jpg

Here is one in one of our shelf units being built as a 24V PDU - it has 8 independant outputs (connected to standard DC barrel plug pigtails here), dual DC inputs, current and voltage monitoring via Ethernet, fuses and relays for each output, and a number of other neat features incluting the ability to daisy-chain units together to build bigger PDUs.   The software is pretty goodLINQscreen.png

And a few things are a little basic ( like the password only accepts alphanumeric characters) but overall it's quite a nice device.   It costs about $150 and needs an enclosure, but it will run on 12 or 24V just fine.

In our case we tried the first one in a large site (8 routers, mix of ERX and ERX SFP) using my redundant site architecture  http://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Stories/New-Design-for-Redundant-Routers-at-sites/cns-p/1022341

and the result was very nice - 

PDU2.jpg

PDU1.jpg

below are some pictures of the unit in place with the routers in our shelf unitPDUinplace.jpgForgive all the wires - we hadn't yet removed all the old routers and their connections from the rack, or straightened up the cable routing.   But it's all working, and (as you can see in the screen above in the story) the PDU is giving a power readout per port as well as the voltage from the Tycons and other site information.   And we finally can remotely poweer cycle devices if we need to.

Jim

24V Power Distribution Unit

by ‎01-29-2018 09:33 AM - edited ‎01-29-2018 10:15 AM

We have been DC powering all our sites for several years now, using either 24 or 54V DC, or a combination of both.   While the EdgePower is perfect for 54V power (to run our AirFiber 5/24/24HDs, ES-8-150s, and EdgePoint R8/S16s) there hasn't been a 24V Power System with the same capabilities available.   For basic power we use the Tycon TP-BC24-300   http://tyconsystems.com/index.php/battery-chargers/411-tp-bc24-300

which is a very nice power supply/charger/regulator, it has no remote monitoring or management capabilitiy like the EdgePower does.   So I've been looking for a long time for something to do this.

A user on the Forum here pointed me to the Altronix LINQ8PD PDU board.  Altronix is one tof the top fire alarm and security vendors in the world, so their stuff is built really well.   And the LINQ8PD is a very nice unitPDU.jpg

Here is one in one of our shelf units being built as a 24V PDU - it has 8 independant outputs (connected to standard DC barrel plug pigtails here), dual DC inputs, current and voltage monitoring via Ethernet, fuses and relays for each output, and a number of other neat features incluting the ability to daisy-chain units together to build bigger PDUs.   The software is pretty goodLINQscreen.png

And a few things are a little basic ( like the password only accepts alphanumeric characters) but overall it's quite a nice device.   It costs about $150 and needs an enclosure, but it will run on 12 or 24V just fine.

In our case we tried the first one in a large site (8 routers, mix of ERX and ERX SFP) using my redundant site architecture  http://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Stories/New-Design-for-Redundant-Routers-at-sites/cns-p/1022341

and the result was very nice - 

PDU2.jpg

PDU1.jpg

below are some pictures of the unit in place with the routers in our shelf unitPDUinplace.jpgForgive all the wires - we hadn't yet removed all the old routers and their connections from the rack, or straightened up the cable routing.   But it's all working, and (as you can see in the screen above in the story) the PDU is giving a power readout per port as well as the voltage from the Tycons and other site information.   And we finally can remotely poweer cycle devices if we need to.

Jim

{"location":{"title":"Denver, CO, United States","placeId":"ChIJzxcfI6qAa4cR1jaKJ_j0jhE"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"edgerouter-x","count":1},{"id":"edgerouter-x-sfp","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"24V Power Distribution Unit custom built with Altronix LINQ8PD for powering and management of major site fully redundant router installation","mainImage":"140646iAEEB254DED41896C"}

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
Comments
by
on ‎01-29-2018 09:53 AM

Can you lead me to a wisp consultant for east of Dallas. 214-263-7810

Ezwireless.net

by
on ‎01-29-2018 11:01 AM

thats awesome

by
‎01-29-2018 11:29 AM - edited ‎01-29-2018 11:30 AM

Nice re-purposing of a stock board, Jim: very creative!   Dave

by
on ‎01-29-2018 02:21 PM

You could also use a ICT power distribution dual bus system for both use with 12, 24 or 48 VDC systems if you don't want to build your own.

http://www.ict-power.com/products/distribution-series-3-dual-bus/

by
on ‎01-29-2018 02:36 PM
11m ago

You could also use a ICT power distribution dual bus system for both use with 12, 24 or 48 VDC systems if you don't want to build your own.

Yes, they are very nice, but considering I can buy 6 of the Altronix boards for the price of 1 of the ICTs...

Jim

by
on ‎01-29-2018 02:55 PM

Yes but time is valuable as well. 

by
on ‎01-29-2018 03:04 PM

True - but it takes me about 1 hour to build one - and that puts the value of my time up to about $900 per hour ;-)

Jim

by
‎01-29-2018 11:11 PM - edited ‎01-29-2018 11:11 PM

Nice work on the board, but you put all this effort in building redundant site's to route everything through basicly one powerboard?

by
on ‎01-30-2018 07:27 AM

8 hours ago - last edited 8 hours ago

Nice work on the board, but you put all this effort in building redundant site's to route everything through basicly one powerboard?

Yes - we've found that the PDU is very robust - remember this is designed as a PDU for large building fire alarm panels, which are considered man-rated critical systems - and we see far more problems with the routers and switches (although not all that many of them either) than with the PDUs.   I do use redundant Power Supplies (even with EdgePowers) and battery stacks, but the PDUs just don't seem to break.  All the analyses I've done show that doing fully redundant A and B rail DC power at all our sites is just overkill, especially since none of the UBNT devices have dual DC power in, so I'd have to build custom diode-combiner power pigtails, and it's just not worth it.   I do have dual rail 24VDC at our main DC PoP, but I'm actually going to replace it with a simpler system using these PDU units, since we've yet to have a single issue with the DC power there in 4 years we've been running it there.  If you do want to do something like that these PDUs actually have 2 separate DC power input busses, which you can select per output with the switches in the middle of the board.   It's not redundant that way, but it does give you the ability to run 2 rails through them if you want.

Sometimes too much of a good thing is indeed just too much...

Jim

by
on ‎02-03-2018 06:49 AM

Nice work! I am curious about the component on the heat sink, as it looks like a linear voltage regulator but it does not have any of its support components to ensure that it operates properly. If so that might be a potential failure point easily avoided by using cheap regulator modules easily found on amazon.