03/02/2018
FTTH EdgeSwitch Part 2
Reason for Installation
Part Two of our FTTH Active-E UBNT EdgeRouter deployment. - Home Router: Edge Router X - SFP - Remote cabinet: Edge Router Infinity (ER-8-XG) - Data Center (Central Office) EdgeRouter Pro & EdgeSwitch - Single Mode fiber from remote cabinet to the residential structured wiring panel - UniFI AP in LV Room POE from EdgeRouter X
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
Description

Part two of our FTTH Active-E deployment in sunny FL. We have added more than 150 subs to the network using the following:

- Home Router: Edge Router X - SFP 

- Remote cabinet: Edge Router Infinity (ER-8-XG)

- Data Center (Central Office) EdgeRouter Pro &  EdgeSwitch

- Single Mode fiber from remote cabinet to the residential structured wiring panel

- UniFI AP in LV Room POE from EdgeRouter X 

1.jpgRemote Cabinet

2.jpgCentral Office/Headend Switch

6.jpgF-Vault

7.jpgResidential UniFI

FTTH EdgeSwitch Part 2

by ‎03-02-2018 04:59 PM - edited ‎03-02-2018 05:01 PM

Part two of our FTTH Active-E deployment in sunny FL. We have added more than 150 subs to the network using the following:

- Home Router: Edge Router X - SFP 

- Remote cabinet: Edge Router Infinity (ER-8-XG)

- Data Center (Central Office) EdgeRouter Pro &  EdgeSwitch

- Single Mode fiber from remote cabinet to the residential structured wiring panel

- UniFI AP in LV Room POE from EdgeRouter X 

1.jpgRemote Cabinet

2.jpgCentral Office/Headend Switch

6.jpgF-Vault

7.jpgResidential UniFI

{"location":{"title":"Florida, USA","placeId":"ChIJvypWkWV2wYgR0E7HW9MTLvc"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"edgerouter-8-xg","count":1},{"id":"edgerouter-x-sfp","count":1},{"id":"edgeswitch-48-500w","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"Part Two of our FTTH Active-E UBNT EdgeRouter deployment. \n\n- Home Router: Edge Router X - SFP \n\n- Remote cabinet: Edge Router Infinity (ER-8-XG)\n\n- Data Center (Central Office) EdgeRouter Pro & EdgeSwitch\n\n- Single Mode fiber from remote cabinet to the residential structured wiring panel\n\n- UniFI AP in LV Room POE from EdgeRouter X ","mainImage":"145976i6F9E39608ECC0524"}

Comments
by
on ‎03-16-2018 10:38 AM

@essystems Correct, all homes route back to the cabinet. From the cabinet, we have two redundant feeds terminating and routing back to two different NAP's (less than 1 mile away).  At the cabinet, the distribution is copper connecting all switches.

Each Cabinet shares similar configuration on redundant feeds and switch hierarchy.  

-Jorge

by
on ‎03-18-2018 11:27 AM

we're going active on our next few projects.  Being mostly rural, we have to put in cabinets anyways in the area to stay within signal limits.,  There's a little bit of extra splicing and a little extra cost of equipment up front, but there seems to be greater control within the product.  on our last PON project, we had all kinds of issues with splitters failng due to temperature variations, connectors shifiting due to temperatures.  We go from -35C to +35C.  The plan is to only use fusion splices.  

In a typical PON system, every house still typically runs back to a central cabinet anyways.  I still have to termiante to connectors.  If I take that to a splitter, or right to a switch, there isn't a huge difference in cost.   It also makes upgrades easier in the future.  The fiber switches that we'll be using have 48 1/10 gig ports.  I can upgrade individual homes one by one without having to do a bulk swap.  I can also tailor the optics to further distances and each one will have a stronger loss budget if needed.

by
on ‎03-22-2018 04:41 AM

I'm wondering about the max cable length an ER-X-SFP can power a UAP-AC-PRO. I assume that the stabilizer at the power input in the UAP-AC-PRO converts the voltage to 5V from whatever it gets from the POE as long as it's <= 24V.