12/12/2018
New ER-12P is a powerful, flexible new router
Used Products
×1
×1
Description

The new EdgeRouter 12 and EdgeRouter 12P are powerful new replacements for the older ER-8's

Below I'm running a final bench test of an ER-12P before deploying into production as a core wisp router this weekend. 

IMG_3140.jpg

Don't let the small size fool you, these new routers turn circles around the ER-8 and ER-Pro. 

The ER-12P model includes passive 24v POE out.  Below on my bench test I'm POE  powering three AF5X LTU sectors and using just under 30 watts.  Without the POE out, the wattage used is only 11 watts.   The ER-12P comes with a 2.5 amp 60 watt, external power supply. The same one included with the ER-6P and ER-X SFP.   There is an optional 5 amp 120 watt external supply for those that have a lot of POE out devices. 

Dash.PNG

So not only are these much more powerful than the ER-8, they generator a lot less heat and consume a lot less power. 

The ER-12 and ER-12P both have 12 ports.  10 Ethernet and two SFP.

ERDash2.PNG

On the ER-12P, any of the ethernet ports can be set to 24v passive POE out.  The amount of devices you can power is determined by the size of the power supply.  The ER-12 model only includes POE out on the last port and also handles POE-in powering in addition to a small external supply.  

Both of these models include a hardware switch chip that allows you to assign any or all ports 0-7 to the switch chip for a line rate switch.

The possibilities of the switch chip are endless.  For a WAN/LAN setup, you can have all the first 8 ports on a switch LAN without needing to buy a separate switch.  For cameras and other passive 24v POE devices, the ER-12P model allows you to power those devices. 

For a wisp operator deployment like below, you can route between towers, and combine several AP's on the switch, plus have other AP's on their own routed network.   For those that want to eliminate large lagacy switched broadcast networks, you can start with all the AP's on the switch, then at night, reconfigure them one by one to be routed instead. 

IMG_3138.jpg

The ER-12 is already released for sale through distributors.  The new POE variant, the ER-12P is currently available in the Early Access Store. 

New ER-12P is a powerful, flexible new router

by on ‎12-12-2018 07:57 AM

The new EdgeRouter 12 and EdgeRouter 12P are powerful new replacements for the older ER-8's

Below I'm running a final bench test of an ER-12P before deploying into production as a core wisp router this weekend. 

IMG_3140.jpg

Don't let the small size fool you, these new routers turn circles around the ER-8 and ER-Pro. 

The ER-12P model includes passive 24v POE out.  Below on my bench test I'm POE  powering three AF5X LTU sectors and using just under 30 watts.  Without the POE out, the wattage used is only 11 watts.   The ER-12P comes with a 2.5 amp 60 watt, external power supply. The same one included with the ER-6P and ER-X SFP.   There is an optional 5 amp 120 watt external supply for those that have a lot of POE out devices. 

Dash.PNG

So not only are these much more powerful than the ER-8, they generator a lot less heat and consume a lot less power. 

The ER-12 and ER-12P both have 12 ports.  10 Ethernet and two SFP.

ERDash2.PNG

On the ER-12P, any of the ethernet ports can be set to 24v passive POE out.  The amount of devices you can power is determined by the size of the power supply.  The ER-12 model only includes POE out on the last port and also handles POE-in powering in addition to a small external supply.  

Both of these models include a hardware switch chip that allows you to assign any or all ports 0-7 to the switch chip for a line rate switch.

The possibilities of the switch chip are endless.  For a WAN/LAN setup, you can have all the first 8 ports on a switch LAN without needing to buy a separate switch.  For cameras and other passive 24v POE devices, the ER-12P model allows you to power those devices. 

For a wisp operator deployment like below, you can route between towers, and combine several AP's on the switch, plus have other AP's on their own routed network.   For those that want to eliminate large lagacy switched broadcast networks, you can start with all the AP's on the switch, then at night, reconfigure them one by one to be routed instead. 

IMG_3138.jpg

The ER-12 is already released for sale through distributors.  The new POE variant, the ER-12P is currently available in the Early Access Store. 

{"location":{"title":"USA","placeId":"ChIJCzYy5IS16lQRQrfeQ5K5Oxw"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"edgerouter-6-port","count":1},{"id":"edgerouter-x-sfp","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"185675i15128457995E9EE2"}

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Comments
by
on ‎12-12-2018 03:28 PM

nice

by
on ‎12-12-2018 11:51 PM

Unfortunately you can only route 1 Gbps, not 10 Gbps. The SFP ports should have been SFP+ to be used as a core router in my network. I'll have to stick to Infinity which is also a great router, but pretty difficult to place in most outdoors tower enclosures....

by
on ‎12-13-2018 11:22 AM

@jjonsson - the edgemax comparison page indicates that the ER-12 is limited to 6.8 Gbps (total) so it would have never reached 10Gbps anyway..

by
on ‎12-14-2018 05:01 AM

Can the SFP ports be assigned to the switch?

by
on ‎12-14-2018 05:11 AM

No, only the first 8 copper ports are a part of the switch group (note the line grouping those ports together on the front panel in the attached pictures)

by
on ‎12-14-2018 04:39 PM

Have one on order. Wanting something between the ER8 pro and the Infinity... This should do for now but 10G in the ER8 pro form factor would be more than enough for my needs. 

by
on ‎12-14-2018 05:33 PM

We are already putting one site together with a pair of these in our redundant design to cover an entire town north of Denver.   The PoE switch ports are perfect for powering the site radios, and the capability to power cycle ports remotely is a huge benifit here too.   A single device that can literally be the sole router/switch for a small site is a big deal.   

For our purposes we have zero need for 10Gb ports in a device at this level, and if you think about the routing engine that would need to be incorporated to deal with even a single 10Gb port it would probably triple the cost of the unit and definitely increase the power budget needed.  I really don't see the need for 10Gb routers at this level - we feed these type of sites with either sub 1Gb radio links or 1Gb fiber drops, so there's no reason to have a 10Gb port here that i can see.   If you need that kind of throughput in non-core situations you may want to look at a lot more sites to cover your area...

Jim

by
‎12-14-2018 05:55 PM - edited ‎12-14-2018 05:56 PM

Agree with @eejimm  Keep in mind that there's a huge hardware requirement difference between switching 10 gig ports and routing that kind of bandwidth.