01/04/2019
Our Home-Business Network
Used Products
×1
×1
Description

For our home-business network, we went from a consumer grade all-in-one unit with a flat network topology to a mixed Edge and UniFi network with a "router on a stick" topology.  Loving the network so far.

Server Rack from top down:

• Windows 10 desktop
  • Mac Mini
  • KVM switch
  • EdgeRouter 4
  • EdgeSwitch 24 Lite
  • OBi200 VoIP unit
  • Raspberry Pi (Pi-hole and NUT server)
  • Cloud Key Gen1
  • 2U drawer for network tools and stuff
  • Synology DS218+ with 2 x 2TB WD Red drives in RAID 1 (runs OpenVPN server)
  • Arris SVG2482AC cable modem (bridge mode and no longer using the voice feature)
  • CyberPower 1000AVR UPS
  • Tripp Lite 14 outlet power strip with surge suppression (back side of rack)
  • This is all housed on a Rising Electronics 15U open four post server rack

Basement IC Panel:

• UniFi US-8 (the one PoE port powers our UAP-AC-PRO)
  • Monoprice 12 port ethernet patch panel
  • PCT MA28PN 8 port coaxial splitter with amplifier
  • Surge supressing power strip

One UAP-AC-PRO provides good coverage on both bands to our 2700 sqft, 2 story home even down in the 1500 sq ft unfinished basement.  Stick built home with drywall walls and pretty open floor plan.  YMMV, of course.

Our ISP is Comcast, with 250 down and 10 up service.  Getting about 230 down and 8 up via WiFi even with QoS setup on the ER-4 (Smart Queue).

YouTube videos from Crosstalk Solutions and Willie Howe were very helpful in getting the newtork configured.

This article was helpful in setting up my VLANs

rack.jpg

rack2.jpg

rack3.jpg

rack4.jpg

ic_panel2.jpg

Network_diagram_basic.png

IMG_20190105_214235364.jpg

IMG_20190109_010744178.jpg

Our Home-Business Network

by on ‎01-04-2019 04:55 PM - last edited a week ago

For our home-business network, we went from a consumer grade all-in-one unit with a flat network topology to a mixed Edge and UniFi network with a "router on a stick" topology.  Loving the network so far.

Server Rack from top down:

• Windows 10 desktop
  • Mac Mini
  • KVM switch
  • EdgeRouter 4
  • EdgeSwitch 24 Lite
  • OBi200 VoIP unit
  • Raspberry Pi (Pi-hole and NUT server)
  • Cloud Key Gen1
  • 2U drawer for network tools and stuff
  • Synology DS218+ with 2 x 2TB WD Red drives in RAID 1 (runs OpenVPN server)
  • Arris SVG2482AC cable modem (bridge mode and no longer using the voice feature)
  • CyberPower 1000AVR UPS
  • Tripp Lite 14 outlet power strip with surge suppression (back side of rack)
  • This is all housed on a Rising Electronics 15U open four post server rack

Basement IC Panel:

• UniFi US-8 (the one PoE port powers our UAP-AC-PRO)
  • Monoprice 12 port ethernet patch panel
  • PCT MA28PN 8 port coaxial splitter with amplifier
  • Surge supressing power strip

One UAP-AC-PRO provides good coverage on both bands to our 2700 sqft, 2 story home even down in the 1500 sq ft unfinished basement.  Stick built home with drywall walls and pretty open floor plan.  YMMV, of course.

Our ISP is Comcast, with 250 down and 10 up service.  Getting about 230 down and 8 up via WiFi even with QoS setup on the ER-4 (Smart Queue).

YouTube videos from Crosstalk Solutions and Willie Howe were very helpful in getting the newtork configured.

This article was helpful in setting up my VLANs

rack.jpg

rack2.jpg

rack3.jpg

rack4.jpg

ic_panel2.jpg

Network_diagram_basic.png

IMG_20190105_214235364.jpg

IMG_20190109_010744178.jpg

{"location":{"title":"Highlands Ranch, CO, USA","placeId":"ChIJC13RgvCCbIcRSduMa81j8RE"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"edgerouter-4","count":1},{"id":"edgeswitch-24-lite","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"188395iDCB4BDD08A91CA1D"}

Comments
by
on ‎01-05-2019 09:07 AM

Cross talk solutions and Willie Howe are both awesome sources of information. Very Sweet set up. Good work!

by
on ‎01-05-2019 12:35 PM

Very nice setup. Good Work!

by
on ‎01-16-2019 09:20 AM

quick question are you doing inter vlan routing or just layer 2 vlan 

thanks 

by
‎01-16-2019 09:23 AM - edited ‎01-16-2019 09:42 AM

@awirelessYes, I am doing inter-VLAN communications.  The Business and Private WiFi VLANs can communicate with the Shared Devices and Security System VLANs. This article was helpful in setting up my VLANs

by
a week ago

That is a really nice setup. I have an office network that needs refreshing. What is the brand of the server rack, and where did you find one. I am guessing that it is 16u. 

by
a week ago

@Truckin31015It is a Rising 15U four post rack.  It has the round holes, not the square ones.  I haven't had any issue with that, as I am careful to not crossthreaded the screws.  It's a pretty solid and well built.

by
Saturday

Hi

1. I recieved internet through fibre optic at my home ( in garage).

2. Fibre optic goes to fibre terminating box, this has 4 Rj45 (Lan ports), 2 telephone and one coaxial port (for tv).

3. I cat6 cable connects the above mentioned fibre terminating box to my ISP provided router, to WAN Port.

4. Can I use ubiquiti edge router ( model with SFP Port) to replace both Fibre terminating box and ISP provided router. Can edge router (model with sfp port) receives light signal, covert to digital, use my entered configuration value as per my ISP requirements and provide internet connectivity (output) through one Lan port (Rj45)?

If not, what else is required, to get the above two items replaced? Please advise.

Regards

Raheel

by
Saturday - last edited Saturday

@raheel73- I don't have fiber service, so I don't know for sure.  I don't think you can get rid of that fiber terminating box.  Best to ask your question over on Reddit, in either the Ubiquiti or HomeNetworking subreddit.