11/14/2016
RFLAN: .au's biggest LAN party!
Description

Hey Guys,

I'm the lead network admin for a LAN party here in Australia called RFLAN. We're the biggest BYOC event in Australia with our current capacity at 864 attendees, plus helpers.

Up until recently we'd been running the network with some HP Procurve Switches, with 4x 1G LACP back to our core on each switch. Our core then had 10G internet service provided by the local Academic Research Network (AARNET). Between the lack of features on the switches and a lack of capacity (we were running out of capacity on the LACP bundles, whilst only hitting about 6gbit/s on average to the Internet) we decided it was time for a forklft upgrade.

So I got approval to replace the network with the following:

22x Edgeswitch Lites (1056 ports total)

2x Juniper EX4500 series SFP+ Switches (Donated, yay!)

88x 10G SFP+ Optics

Lots and Lots of LC-LC Single mode Fibre!

Sadly we haven't got a router that'll handle the 10gbit/s we push through the internet connection, so AARNet handle that for us. Here's hoping for a 10G Edgerouter soon!

The build

So first off I ordered the switches-- it turns out getting that many switches delivered to my home takes up a bit of room:

So as it turns out, getting 22 switches arrive at your house is quite a lot of stuff:

IMG_1213.JPG

It also turns out that unboxing them and putting all the rack ears on is a bit of a chore:

Su0eLAU.jpg

All Racked up and looking pretty:

pkg92TO.jpg

vlRjIID.jpg

ZCVeobE.jpg

Our SFPs and Fibre have arrived too:

o7z8IbM.jpgrzkoTC2.jpg

We're still in the early stages of getting everything fully configured (the next event is in January) so, I'll post back soon with more information as we get it all configured up!

RFLAN: .au's biggest LAN party!

by on ‎11-14-2016 08:14 AM

Hey Guys,

I'm the lead network admin for a LAN party here in Australia called RFLAN. We're the biggest BYOC event in Australia with our current capacity at 864 attendees, plus helpers.

Up until recently we'd been running the network with some HP Procurve Switches, with 4x 1G LACP back to our core on each switch. Our core then had 10G internet service provided by the local Academic Research Network (AARNET). Between the lack of features on the switches and a lack of capacity (we were running out of capacity on the LACP bundles, whilst only hitting about 6gbit/s on average to the Internet) we decided it was time for a forklft upgrade.

So I got approval to replace the network with the following:

22x Edgeswitch Lites (1056 ports total)

2x Juniper EX4500 series SFP+ Switches (Donated, yay!)

88x 10G SFP+ Optics

Lots and Lots of LC-LC Single mode Fibre!

Sadly we haven't got a router that'll handle the 10gbit/s we push through the internet connection, so AARNet handle that for us. Here's hoping for a 10G Edgerouter soon!

The build

So first off I ordered the switches-- it turns out getting that many switches delivered to my home takes up a bit of room:

So as it turns out, getting 22 switches arrive at your house is quite a lot of stuff:

IMG_1213.JPG

It also turns out that unboxing them and putting all the rack ears on is a bit of a chore:

Su0eLAU.jpg

All Racked up and looking pretty:

pkg92TO.jpg

vlRjIID.jpg

ZCVeobE.jpg

Our SFPs and Fibre have arrived too:

o7z8IbM.jpgrzkoTC2.jpg

We're still in the early stages of getting everything fully configured (the next event is in January) so, I'll post back soon with more information as we get it all configured up!

Comments
by
on ‎11-14-2016 10:00 AM

Wow, Nice list of equipment. Cant wait to see the final setup.

by
on ‎11-14-2016 11:11 AM

Very nice setup, please post pics of event and setup once completed.

by
on ‎11-14-2016 03:21 PM

@Shorty_ Great job!

I'm also awaiting impatiently for a 10 Gbps EdgeRouter :-)

by
on ‎11-14-2016 05:48 PM
Yep, just need 24-48 ports 10G Core switch now Man Wink
by
on ‎11-14-2016 08:13 PM

It seems to be a big project, please share more detailed information with us after finishing the set up.  And I found in the above picture, I am doubtly about whether the juniper switches will operate well with the edgeswitch-branded switch. Let us know the result. 

by
on ‎11-14-2016 09:06 PM

@Jake42 Certainly, what kind of information do you want? I've not seen any interoperability issues with the Juniper so far-- what're your concerns around that not working?

The edgeswitches are going to be purely layer 2, with port security and a few other security type settings turned on.

by
on ‎11-14-2016 09:55 PM

@Altheran I think I'm happy with the EX virtual chassis in the core at the moment, it's a platform I'm a little more familiar with and probably a little bit more mature feature wise-- that being said I'd be more than happy to test a UBNT unit, if one ever eventuated Man Happy

by
on ‎11-14-2016 10:38 PM
Shorty - the EX4500 should be able to route for you - it's a L3 switch, if memory serves. It's possible you'll have to buy a license upgrade if the routing feature isn't present - but of course the good people at your NREN can probably help you by setting up one or more static route(s) so you don't need to do so. Certainly, our EX4600s work very nicely as core routers in a virtual chassis configuration, which was our major network upgrade this year; they even talk OSPF to the firewall. Man Wink
by
on ‎11-14-2016 10:55 PM

@Discusfish Yeah, we're toying with the idea of shifting the routing to the EX to give us a bit more control. I don't think we need anything like OSPF/BGP, so an AFL won't be needed. My only concern is making sure that if we do need to handle any ACLs/Policing that the hardware'll cut it. I've been bitten too many times with small changes causing RE punts and the boxes getting very unhappy. Man Happy

by
on ‎11-16-2016 02:45 AM

so many ports Man Happy