Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

2 weeks ago
Ubiquiti Project in Brazil
Reason for Installation
A mixture of EdgeSwitches, EdgeRouters, Unifi Wireless, Unifi-Video, Unifi fibre GBICs, a pair of Nano-Locos and some Fiber-PoE thrown in for good measure.
Used Products
×1
×5
×1
×1
Description

I started this project to install a network at a rural property in Brazil in 2012, and began a major overhaul over two years ago, and some of the progress is detailed in another post I did here, but it is now largely completed.

The main comms room. The single-mode underground fibre all terminates here, connecting the remote cabinets and 6 separate buildings on the property. The post here is where I was collectively told to forget my Multimode idea and go with Singlemode. I am glad I did, even though the Fibre installer, who charges per fusion was less keen, as it meant half the fusions for him! 
The MDFThe MDF

Top down: Apps Server, IP-PBX, Media Server, 2 x APC UPS.Top down: Apps Server, IP-PBX, Media Server, 2 x APC UPS.

The blue is single-mode fibre using Ubiquiti BIDI GBICs. The orange is Multimode interconnects between router and switches.

Top down: ES-24-250W, ER-8-Pro, ES-12FTop down: ES-24-250W, ER-8-Pro, ES-12F

From the MDF, I have 6-strand fibre running to a termination box in two locations (the Tower and the Bar/Lounge/Kitchen), and then 2-strand fibre running to each cabinet from this termination box (shown below) - in both boxes I therefore have capacity to add another 2 and 4 fibre runs respectively. Fibre termination box, with 6-strand fibreFibre termination box, with 6-strand fibre

Each cabinet is served from one of these two termination boxes with 2-strand fibre, of which one is in use, and the second is spare. It is a simple termination box, with one strand terminated with a pigtail that connects into the switch. In theory, I can therefore add more fibre from each cabinet if I ever needed to.Fibre terminator.jpeg

There are a total of 7 remote cabinets - best shown in the map below:

map.png

1. The Tower - this is where the internet feed originates, via an RJ45 cable from the provider. This cabinet uses a Fiber PoE as a media converter, with a grea idea from @eejimm shown here and previously from @ptt and @ClaudeSS here that works perfectly. I ended up asking the same question twice, some months apart, but I got there in the end! What I had not grasped initially was that I did not need to power the PoE injector with 110v, but makes sense now. As with most of the cabinets, I use 24v UPS systems.
Tower CabinetTower Cabinet

2. The Gate - I needed a cabinet at the gate where I run 2 x G3 cameras, an old UAP and a SIP Entry Phone. The gate is quite a long way from some of the buildings, so I wanted a way that the intercom could call any/all extensions in the place, or even transfer to a mobile phone if no one answered. Also, you can dial specific extensions. The interfone is a Brazilian make called Khomp, and has relays for opening the gate via a dial-code. The UAP is so that friends can send a whatsapp or even email us, or just browse the internet while waiting for someone to open the gate for them - there's no cellphone signal by the gate. Again, this is 24v UPS - I will almost certainly power the Khomp interfone with 12v from the ERX-SFP via a small step-down device. That way I can remotely power-cycle it if I need to. That's work in progress still.
Gate CabGate Cab

3 & 4 House Cabs - there are two main houses, one with the wall-mounted cabinet below inside, and another with an external cabinet like the tower and gate have. The only difference is that I am using a 110v UPS as I needed an 802.3af PoE injector running off the ERX-SFP to power an IP Phone. In the cabinet below, there is an ES-8-150W which supports both 24v passive and 802.3af PoE, so it's not an issue. The ES-8-150W is shelf mounted.

House Cab - ES-8-150WHouse Cab - ES-8-150W

5. Workshop Cabinet - no photo, but the same as the Gate cabinet, but with a 110v UPS. Again, this is because I need to run a Power Injector for an IP Phone and I want this on the UPS. If there is some way of running 802.3af PoE from a 24v Passive source, then I would like to get rid of the APC 110v UPS devices I have. Any ideas? The solution might be to use the ES-8-150W and power this with the 48vdc version of the UPS that I use today - however, it's overkill on the port count for me, and in terms of size, not only is the switch footprint bigger, but I would also need 4 x 12v batteries to get my 48v input.

6. Pool, Bar, Lounge & Kitchen Cab - it's an old photo taken during installation, but a wall mounted cabinet with an ES-16-150W switch installed.
Missing the ES-16-150WMissing the ES-16-150W

7. The Garden Suite Cabinet - this is a self-contained guest suite that we have just finished, and has the same cabinet type as the tower and gate, accessible from a service cupboard outside. Garden Suite CabGarden Suite Cab

For the Unifi Wireless - I have a mix of UAP x4, UAP-Outdoor x1, UAP-Pro x1, UAP-AC-LR x3, UAP-AC-Pro x1, UAP-AC-Mesh x1, UAP-AC-IW x3. It all runs on a controller installed on the App Server, running version 5.6.19 without any real problems (other than APs I bought in the US that now show a country conflict). I particularly like the UAP-AC-IW as I can run Grandstream IP phones directly from the PoE passthrough port on them.

Cambui Unifi.png

Cambui Unifi2.png

Unifi-Video - there are a total of 11 cameras up and running at the moment, with another 4 to be installed. It's a mixture of UVC and G3 (although I started with the Gen1 cameras when they launched) and the NVR 3.8.5 runs on Linux on the App Server. I've had some issues with it over the years, but it has come on a long way, and does what I need.

Unifi Video 1.png

Unifi Video 2.png

I am running UNMS to monitor the network - and looking forward to development in that project so that EdgeSwitches and some other elements get included. There are some TS-5-PoE not mentioned in this post on my network, and non UBNT network connected devices that I would like to have simple monitoring of via UNMS, like the APC UPS 1500 in the main rack, a couple of ATA devices, and the SIP intercom. 

Overall, it's been a long project - much longer than I anticipated, and still with some work to complete. I would like to find some solution to powering 802.3af phones from an ERX-SFP, and/or my 24v UPS, but I think that is wishful thinking. When I first started the original project, back in 2012, I had the option of doing it all with HP ProCurve and Ruckus, but am glad that I decided to go with Ubiquiti, as I have learned a huge amount through the community here, and from some of the main contributors - Claude, Jim, Les and Dave to mention just a few, as well as the UBNT staff, past and present. Having tried and tested the products myself, I have also managed to get Unifi Wireless hardware approved within the company I work for, as an alternative in our installations, and we are now looking at the EdgeSwitches too.

Thanks UBNT and the good people who help with the community support!

Comments
by
2 weeks ago

Were ddi you get that PSU from?

by
2 weeks ago

@Ryoohk - it is a Brazilian company called Volt http://www.volt.ind.br/ and they make them specifically for the provider market, along with powered patch panels etc.

They are pretty good.

by
2 weeks ago

I really like the slim black fibre termination boxes. Really smart finish on the job with those!

Very interesting setup overall, thanks for sharing!

by
a week ago

This is shocking! Nobody does neat installations in Brazil.....     Dave