Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Solutions: 1

Re: Basic SOHO/Home Config

Hello, not sure if this is the place to post this but here goes: I am a custom a/v and automation contractor, and have been looking into a more stable router + wifi + vpn solution. I have used ubiquiti in the past for some simple bridging between buildings and have been very pleased with performance. I did some research on Unifi and the edgemax router. I believe these will allow me to have a more stable environment for my systems to communicate on especially with the upcoming zero handoff roaming. I have received my UAPs and lite router for testing. I know a little about IP networking but am still learning so I need some help with configuring the router. I am fairly comfortable with the GUI and am not afraid of using CLI if someone where to explain a little. I already have the Unifi controller set up on AWS.

What I need from the router config is:

Senario #1

• WAN: ISP supplied wireless router with dynamic IP (I would like to just use the modem and bypass the WiFi and router to use the ubiquiti router, need suggestions on best way to do this eg.. bridging, DMZ etc..)
  • DHCP Server
  • NAT Server
  • UAPs to reside on same network as wired so as to communicate 2 way with WiFi enabled remotes, mobile devices, A/V components and automation controller.
  • Need to be able to port forward components for remote operation and diagnostics of components
  • VPN so I can remotely trouble shoot and do system updates
  • QOS for streaming video, streaming audio and VOIP
  • All LAN ports on same network

Senario #2

• All the above with the acception of having static IP From stand alone dsl modem or wisp instead of dynamic

All help will be appreciated

Thank You

Previous Employee
Kudos: 3059
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

deatoninc wrote:

Hello, not sure if this is the place to post this but here goes: I am a custom a/v and automation contractor, and have been looking into a more stable router + wifi + vpn solution. I have used ubiquiti in the past for some simple bridging between buildings and have been very pleased with performance. I did some research on Unifi and the edgemax router. I believe these will allow me to have a more stable environment for my systems to communicate on especially with the upcoming zero handoff roaming. I have received my UAPs and lite router for testing. I know a little about IP networking but am still learning so I need some help with configuring the router. I am fairly comfortable with the GUI and am not afraid of using CLI if someone where to explain a little. I already have the Unifi controller set up on AWS.

What I need from the router config is:

Senario #1

• WAN: ISP supplied wireless router with dynamic IP (I would like to just use the modem and bypass the WiFi and router to use the ubiquiti router, need suggestions on best way to do this eg.. bridging, DMZ etc..)
  • DHCP Server
  • NAT Server
  • UAPs to reside on same network as wired so as to communicate 2 way with WiFi enabled remotes, mobile devices, A/V components and automation controller.
  • Need to be able to port forward components for remote operation and diagnostics of components
  • VPN so I can remotely trouble shoot and do system updates
  • QOS for streaming video, streaming audio and VOIP
  • All LAN ports on same network

Senario #2

• All the above with the acception of having static IP From stand alone dsl modem or wisp instead of dynamic

All help will be appreciated

Thank You

All that seems do-able.  You might want to sign up for our beta image because we have added a basic setup wizzard in the GUI that might make the 1st setup easier.

EdgeMAX Router Software Development
Solutions: 1

Where do I sign up?

Previous Employee

EdgeMAX beta link

Hello !) pls help me ! how i can set this rules to wan port ?  ( default soho router config from the first page is suitable for me) only need to change wan settings on eth2 

so  static ip for my internet  -158.58.129.197

mask -255.255.255.0

gateway  - 158.58.129.192

dns 1 - 93.190.18.10

dns 2 - 94.190.19.10

Previous Employee
Kudos: 5401
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

You can load the example config first and then change these settings in the Web UI. Alternatively you could also try the new "setup wizard" that is available in the current beta version. If you want to give that a try you can sign up for the beta testing program (http://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/EdgeMax-beta-testing/m-p/402291#M5365) and once you have access to the beta forum check out the following link: http://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Beta/Release-candidate-v1-3-0rc1/m-p/585805#U585805

Kudos: 1

Re: Basic SOHO/Home Config for EdgeRouter PoE 5-port

Do you have config for EdgeRouter PoE 5-port but with switch0 bridge with eth0?

Thank you.

I've purchased an EdgeRouter Lite and a Unifi AP, and followed the SOHO guide with no problems.  However, my one issue with with UPNP/DNLA broadcasts between the WLAN subnet (172.16.1.0/24) and the WAN subnet (172.16.0.0/24) where my DNLA (Plex) server lives.  Can someone point me in the direction of getting these broadcast discovery messages across the subnets?

Established Member
Kudos: 988
Solutions: 80
Contributions: 9

EOS doesn't support multicast routing yet.  If you really need it, then you will need to merge your two networks.  If you aren't afraid of a little hacking, you should be able to get IGMP Proxy, upnpproxy or something like that working.

Kudos: 49
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]
Assuming you mean LAN and WLAN subnets. You will need to bridge the physical ports and assign one subnet to the bridge to get UPNP and DLNA to work across both ports.

mrjester wrote:

EOS doesn't support multicast routing yet.  If you really need it, then you will need to merge your two networks.  If you aren't afraid of a little hacking, you should be able to get IGMP Proxy, upnpproxy or something like that working.

I don't mind a little hacking, but I've never set up IGMP proxy before.  My current config is this:

interfaces {
    ethernet eth0 {
        address dhcp
        description WAN
        firewall {
            in {
                name WAN_IN
            }
            local {
                name WAN_LOCAL
            }
        }
    }
    ethernet eth1 {
        address 172.16.0.1/24
        description LAN
        firewall {
            out {
            }
        }
    }
    ethernet eth2 {
        address 172.16.1.1/24
        description WLAN
    }
    loopback lo {
    }
}
protocols {
    igmp-proxy {
        interface eth1 {
            alt-subnet 172.16.0.0/24
            role downstream
            threshold 1
        }
        interface eth2 {
            alt-subnet 172.16.1.0/24
            role upstream
            threshold 1
        }
    }
}

With my Plex server hanging off eth1 and clients off a Unifi AP off eth2.  Attempts to discover folders via DNLA don't seem to increment the counters by much:

$ show ip multicast interfaces
Intf        BytesIn        PktsIn      BytesOut       PktsOut            Local
eth0          0.00b             0         0.00b             0     x.x.x.x
eth1          0.00b             0        1.47KB             6       172.16.0.1
eth2         3.44KB            20         0.00b             0       172.16.1.1

I'm happy to bridge the interfaces as mentioned above, but I was curiou enough about igmp-proxy to give it a swing before falling back to that Man Happy

Any suggestions?

I would like to have this setup but with PPPoE. Can sombody help me with that?

Previous Employee

fahlsen wrote:

I would like to have this setup but with PPPoE. Can sombody help me with that?

There's a PPPoE config on this POST.

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am going to be getting a ERL router for a special situation at my work and I was curious on how you would go about modifying the simple/basic SOHO setup so that the eth0 and eth1 subnets could talk to each other and get out onto the internet through eth2 as well?  

I have a situation where I have 2 separate subnets that need to talk to each otherand also access the internet at the same time.  This config works great to get everyone out onto the internetbut I need to have the 2 subnets talk to each other as well and I can't seem to find an easy way to make that happen.

Thanks for all the work put into these awesome little routers!

Previous Employee

@eulogious The SOHO example already has 2 private subnets that both talk to each other and out to Internet.

HI i bought an edge router lite. I have read all these pages, but cant seem to make it work. i took one of the configs available here, but cant seem to connect to the vpn via pptp. if someone can help me this is what needed.

eth0 192.168.100.10

dhcp range 192.168.100.103-199

eth3 wan

vpn would like it to be on the same subnet as eth 0 so the dhcp range for it would be 192.168.100.200-249

i need the vpn user to be able to see all the devices conected to eth0

tks

daniel

Previous Employee

milll36 wrote:

HI i bought an edge router lite. I have read all these pages, but cant seem to make it work. i took one of the configs available here, but cant seem to connect to the vpn via pptp. if someone can help me this is what needed.

eth0 192.168.100.10

dhcp range 192.168.100.103-199

eth3 wan

vpn would like it to be on the same subnet as eth 0 so the dhcp range for it would be 192.168.100.200-249

i need the vpn user to be able to see all the devices conected to eth0

tks

daniel

pptp vpn seems to work best with a different subnet.  Did you try the pptp example config?

Re: Basic SOHO/Home Confining

[ Edited ]

BUNT-sting wrote:

@eulogious The SOHO example already has 2 private subnets that both talk to each other and out to Internet.

Ah, OK, so that what he means when he said there are "no controls between them".  Since he mentioned that the networks were segmented, I assumed that "no controls" meant they didn't talk between them.  Thanks for the clarification!