Highlighted

Dummy0 interface on UPNP wizard

[ Edited ]

I have an EdgeMax PoE. Liking it so far.

Can anyone tell me what the dummy0 interface is that appears in the dropdown of the upnp wizard? Given that each internal network can only appear once, I am going to hazard a guess that it means "any interface". In this case, since I have my NAS on one LAN and everything else on another (to avoid bridging) so I currently have:

eth1      eth0

switch0 eth0

Do I also need to ennable UPnP between LANs if a service on the NAS required to internal clients on the other LAN? If I change this to:

eth1      dummy0

switch0 dummy0

would this achieve that effect?

Previous Employee
Kudos: 5411
Solutions: 1657
Contributions: 2

Re: Dummy0 interface on UPNP wizard

Actually the dummy0 interface is internal to the implementation and we should remove it from the drop-down, and for now it can be ignored. For the UPnP question you should provide the router config and how the devices are connected etc. so that people can take a look.

Yes - good point. Things have moved on a but, so let me be more precise about what I was/am trying to achieve:

The router is set up with WAN on eth0, my NAS on eth1 (192.168.1.0/24) and the rest of the LAN on switch0 (192.168.0.0/24). I need all of the ports (unless I buy another separate switch) and didn't want to bridge, so it seemed sensible to set it up this way.

All the clients can access the NAS, so no issue in general with visibility between subnets. However, nothing could see my TwonkyMedia DLNA server on the NAS. I thought this was down to enabling UPNP to communicate between eth1 and switch0. However, if I do this, then the router sends all requests that the NAS can handle to the NAS, including port 80 so I can't then logon the the router via teh web interface. And Twonky is still not visible. So I removed that UPNP entry.

More reading and I've realised it is because Twonky advertises its existence to the world via multicast, and that doesn't working subnet to subnet with some special attention (it works fine on the same subnet). So I went into CLI and set up igmp to show:

admin@ubnt# show protocols igmp-proxy

interface eth1 {

role upstream

threshold 1

}

interface switch0 {

role downstream

threshold 1

}

That seemed to do the trick, although it took clients a little longer to see it that if it was on the same subnet. However, that has now stopped working (no changes as far as I know) and no-one can see Twonky again - works fine on the same subnet.

So, that is where I am now. Questions, if anyone can help:

1. What is wrong with the igmp setup so that muticast cannot get through? Should I be using something else instead?

2. Is UPNP already enabled by default? Services seem to be able to open ports on the router themselves so that would seem to be the case. If so, when is it necessary to set things in the UPNP wizard?

3. Since the suggested setup is to wplit LAN and WLAN across two subnets and not bridge, and the use of DLNA servers and things that advertise with multicast is becoming quite normal for anyone with this router at home, shouldn't setting up multicast between LAN and WLAN be made simple through a wizard?

Any help much approeciated.

Andy

Previous Employee
Kudos: 5411
Solutions: 1657
Contributions: 2

If DLNA and/or other multicast-/broadcase-based applications are required, it is usually much simpler to use a switch to make the LAN networks a single layer-2 network. For example, as discussed before, DLNA for two separate subnets may require setting up igmp-proxy and even then it is not conclusive whether it would work. Another possibility is in the v1.6.0 release there is a new wizard "WAN+2LAN2" which allows bridging the two LANs together.

Have succumbed in the end and bought a cheap tp-link switch. Shame - the only reason I bought the 5 port EdgeMaster router instead of the 3 port one was because I thought I could not have to buy another switch. It seems a bit weird to make a router for home use with a 3 port switch and a separate internal LAN port, suggesting that people set it up with WLAN on one and LAN on the other. I can't see any setup that is going to effectively work with DLNA servers - which are increasingly common.

Would it not have been better to produce a device with just a switch which could span across all 4 ports?

Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

Hello Andy,

I've been struggling with this for a couple of months now, since I want to share DLNA content between 2 separated locations and it is not viable for me to bridge everything.

Did you try configuring your switch0 interface (client side) as upstream and your eth1 interface (server side) as downstream?

You could also try to decrease the SSDP announcement period time in your DLNA server. BTW, Could you tell me what's your NAS and DLNA server software?

Also, could you please post your config so I can compare it with mine? as you had it working temporarily at least.

@UBNT-ancheng is there any plans to add a wizzard for DLNA? maybe through IGMP or PIM or whatever that works. I know there are a lot of people out there with the same problems as they are using SOHO config. It would be really nice to have both DLNA and Airplay (mdns) in a wizzard as they're increasingly common.