Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Kudos: 136
Solutions: 2

ER-X vs ER-Lite Head to Head Speed Results on Google Fiber

I've seen plenty of discussions here and on Reddit comparing the EdgeRouter X and the EdgeRouter Lite -- including why one or the other should or shouldn't be "theoretically" faster, particularly on Gigabit networks like Google Fiber.

Since I've had an ER-Lite replacing my Google Fiber box for a while now, I always wondered how the EdgeRouter X would compare, so I figured I'd dispense with the discussions and theory with some actual head-to-head comparisons in "real-world" conditions... and it would only cost me $50(ish) bucks for an ER-X to put the issue to rest (at least in my mind).

I have no bias one way or the other. I now own both devices, so I have no need to justify any purchase decisions based on my opinion. Let's let the data speak for itself.

https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2017/02/edgerouter-x-vs-edgerouter-lite-google-fiber-speed-tests/

UBNT Gear: ERPoe-5, ERLite-3, ER-X, USG-3, UAP-AC-Pro, UAP-AC-Lite, UAP-Pro, NBE-M2-13
942.22 Mbps down / 926.27 Mbps up (http://result.googlefiber.net/share/316298352.png)
My Blog: http://www.stevejenkins.com/
SuperUser
Kudos: 7428
Solutions: 1218

Re: ER-X vs ER-Lite Head to Head Speed Results on Google Fiber

[ Edited ]

I read your report, and I think I can fairly summarize this

as: for speed, it hardly matters which one you choose.  As

you say, it's not 'scientific', and there are a few anomalies.

Don't forget the ER-X-SFP: it provides the same hardware

switch as the ER-X, and adds 24V PoE support on all its

ports--as well as a Gb SFP port for fiber interconnects.   Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com

Dave-D wrote:

I read your report, and I think I can fairly summarize this

as: for speed, it hardly matters which one you choose.  As

you say, it's not 'scientific', and there are a few anomalies.

Don't forget the ER-X-SFP: it provides the same hardware

switch as the ER-X, and adds 24V PoE support on all its

ports--as well as a Gb SFP port for fiber interconnects.   Dave

Hi @Dave-D. Well, I'd argue that it was technically "scientific," in that I used the scientific method (observation, measurement, experiment, then formulation of, testing of, and potential modification of hypotheses). Man Happy

But yes, it certainly wasn't performed in a pure labratory environment. But as I said in the article, nobody's residential Internet is in a lab environment. Removing all other clients from the network as about as close to labratory as it was going to get. Man Happy

Though if pressed, and someone asked me which one I believed was faster, I'd have to say the data points to the ER-Lite. Maybe it was faster by only by a little, but it was consisently faster, even on different days and with slightly different testing methodologies. The anolomies were small and few.

There are many in here that swore up and down (and I imagine they'll be along here in this thread soon) that there would be zero observable difference between the two. But until I see additional head-to-head tests that try to be as unbiased as possible that indicate otherwise, I have to rely on my results. Sure -- maybe it's only a 6% / 2% difference, but it's not 0% / 0%. Man Happy

UBNT Gear: ERPoe-5, ERLite-3, ER-X, USG-3, UAP-AC-Pro, UAP-AC-Lite, UAP-Pro, NBE-M2-13
942.22 Mbps down / 926.27 Mbps up (http://result.googlefiber.net/share/316298352.png)
SuperUser
Kudos: 8331
Solutions: 525
Contributions: 1

Looking at both devices, it really depends on just what you are doing with them.   If it's just layer3 routing (we have over 100 of these in our network doing just that) it really makes little difference.   But the fixed physical architecture of the Lite, with 3 ethernet ports connected to the 3 CPU ports is going to have less "stuff (highly technical trm there...) that the packets have to traverse than the switch based physical design of the ER-X.   But the ER-X has a faster CPU, and more efficient hardware offload.   Hence the toss-up in the testing.

JIm

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
Kudos: 1168
Solutions: 491

You measure a 2..6% speed drop.....

Results for ER-X are fine for most of us (including me)
If you do want to test and see way larger difference, run a test that simultaneously does up and download.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 12

a lot more on this here https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/Google-Fiber-Which-router-should-I-buy/m-p/1393975#U1393975

tl:dr the ERL can do simultaneous 1G up/down while the ERX(in it's current configuration) can only do 1G up or down.

16again wrote:

You measure a 2..6% speed drop.....

Results for ER-X are fine for most of us (including me)
If you do want to test and see way larger difference, run a test that simultaneously does up and download.

Got a link to one?

Kudos: 3

Thanks for the great article. I think the results of your test showed insignificant difference between the two. The differences slight enough that you vary well could have seen the same difference between two ERL's side by side. As far as the 1gbs up and down vs up or down, I have read enough I believe it is the case, however, how often is anyone maxing the connection both ways? If they are, most likely they are a business customer and hopefully Investing little more money than either of those choices. When I was choosing what to buy, I thought about the ER-x, However only reason I went with the ER5 was I didn't want an extra power cable to the fiber jack. 

Highlighted
SuperUser
Kudos: 7428
Solutions: 1218

That's pretty much the same conclusion I offered.

But I don't understand what you mean by 'an extra

power cable to the fiber jack'.   Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com
SuperUser
Kudos: 8331
Solutions: 525
Contributions: 1

Dave-D wrote:

That's pretty much the same conclusion I offered.

But I don't understand what you mean by 'an extra

power cable to the fiber jack'.   Dave

Dave I think he means using a separate PoE injector...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

Yep that's what I meant. The router that google gave me is POE and Where my fiber jack is located there is no easy access to power.  So If I didn't replace it with a POE capable box, I would have to use an injector and it would have taken up another plug. Unfortunately where the router and stuff are located, power outlets are a premium resource, lol. As a side note, this is also why I went with a UniFi WAP as well.