Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Edge Router X - UAP-AC-LR - Brother Wireless Printer not connecting or discoverable

[ Edited ]

Hi Folks,

I'm having trouble with connecting a wireless Brother Printer to my network.

I feel like i'm missing some sort of setting as i'm able to connect it through SSID but not ever able to ping it or see an IP was released to it.  I even gave it a static IP address but still not able to ping or search for it. I have it on my internal or Corp Network where all devices can ping each other but not sure sure what is happening here.

Here is a photo link to my configuration:

Any help is greatly appreciated!

SuperUser
Kudos: 4608
Solutions: 1292

Re: Edge Router X - UAP-AC-LR - Brother Wireless Printer not connecting or discoverable

Is the printer actually connected to the wifi?  What does its network config page say?

Highlighted

Re: Edge Router X - UAP-AC-LR - Brother Wireless Printer not connecting or discoverable

Hi dpurget, 

I appreciate your help.

On the Brother MFC-J495DW i have the following status info:

- Active

- Signal Strength is Strong

- SSID: connected to the correct one

IP Address is static 192.168.10.75/24, gateway set to 192.168.10.1

Solved... Sorta?

I rebooted the EdgeRouter X and AP, put the Printer into DHCP Mode which got an IP addressed and worked though statically assigning it does not work.  I must be missing some setting but for now, printing is possible.

Thanks for chiming in though!

Kudos: 36
Solutions: 8

[ Edited ]

Glad you got it working.

If the static address previously set in the printer (192.168.10.75) is within the DHCP range then it's possible that address had been allocated by DHCP to another device on your network. That would cause all sorts of havoc.

-- Pete

I tried a few IPs outside of the DHCP range of 192.168.10.100 to 150 and didnt work but likely i'm butterfingering a setting on the Printer itself.  I'll have to play with it more to see what is going on but appreciate the tip to make sure there is no IP conflict

Kudos: 1133
Solutions: 478

Does unifi wireless block using fixed IPs ? (have done too much Cisco lately)

Issue resolved

Problem was that we're in the middle of migrated from one wireless equipment to another and my device kept wirelessly jumping back to the old device b/c it was not deactivated.  I noticed something was odd when on wireless i couldnt ping and got a different IP address while when i hard lined into the EdgeRouter X i got an IP address in the correct DHCP range or statically assign an IP outside the range and could ping the Printer.

Lessoned learned