SuperUser
Kudos: 4791
Solutions: 1344

Re: EdgeRouter X low throughput slow

Post the config file.

Also, that few number of port forwards likely wouldn't do anything.  I've got like 2 doz + on an ERL (~37% slower processor) and it doesn't even scoff.

Established Member
Kudos: 526
Solutions: 95

dpurgert wrote:

Post the config file.

Also, that few number of port forwards likely wouldn't do anything.  I've got like 2 doz + on an ERL (~37% slower processor) and it doesn't even scoff.

Hardware offload setting?

SuperUser
Kudos: 4791
Solutions: 1344

dtraub wrote:

dpurgert wrote:

Post the config file.

Hardware offload setting?

AFAIK, offload doesn't help NAT.

Solutions: 1

Thanks all form persisiting and helping me out here.

The ERX is at work, I will download the config and post it when I get to work tomorrow.

It's been a while and I thought I'd post an update for anyone who read this thread previously.

Basically I'd given up on the EdgeRouter-X becvause it never achieved a decent throughput once a handful of port-forwards had been added - so I tossed it in my box of useless junk and it had been there untouched for the past 7 months.

That is until tonight when my router died and I needed a replacement and remembered I had the EdgeRouter-X available.

Anyhoo, long story short - I reset it and speed was still pathetic, so I flashed the latest beta firmware ER-e50.v1.8.5rc1.4882235.tar and now speeds are perfect!

I have nfi what has changed since the previous firmware, but whatever was done has now allowed the er-x to obtain the max speed it should have - it's pretty much topping my 100/40Mbps fiber connection:

er-x_v1.8.5.PNG

fwiw, the above is with 27 ports forwarded to various servers.

Just thought I needed to post thisnow that everything is working as expected Man Happy

Previous Employee
Kudos: 3072
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

Did you enable the hwnat new in v1.8.5.

EdgeMAX Router Software Development

UBNT-stig wrote:

Did you enable the hwnat new in v1.8.5.

Hi Stig.

What is hwnat?

All I did was upgraded the firmware and use the "Wizards" tab to reset the router to WAN+2LAN and after the router rebooted, I ran a speed test and it was finally able to max out the fiber connection.

I readded all the port forwards again and they had no noticible impact on the throughput .

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 700
Solutions: 191

@leslieb hwnat is a hardware offload feature added to the ER-X products in 1.8.5. Other users have reported a big increase in performance when enabling this. You'll have to enable this manually from the CLI, but could give you even better performance.

configure
set system offload hwnat enable 
commit
save
exit
Kudos: 4

If you are afraid of the CLI, you can also enable it from the web GUI in the Config Tree.  Expand out "system", then "offload".  Then type "enable" in the hwnat field, click "preview" at the bottom and then "apply"

Kudos: 1

Just wanted to chime in that this setting fixed my wan-lan speeds. I have gigabit internet and before enabling this setting I was capped at 430mbps up and down. After enabling i'm reaching 930mbps up and down.

Are there any drawbacks to turning this on? If not, why isn't this setting enabled by default? If I didn't stumble upon this by chance I would've decided the router wasn't up to the task and returned it.

I joined just to say thanks for these posts!

I am not a power user by any means... it took me a couple of days to fumble through installing an ERX and UAP-AC-LR-US.  Anyhow, I noticed that although my speedtest times were better that through my old router, things seemed a little slow to load at first.  I ran some speedtest.net tests on a very low end Android device that I use basically as a mini wifi tablet.  Before changing this setting, I was getting about 16Mbps down, but after enabling hwnat, I'm up to 36 Down, which is what I'm paying for from my ISP.

So not to beat a dead horse, but is there any downside to using this setting?  I'm curious why it's not enabled from the factory?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 700
Solutions: 191

[ Edited ]

Hi @phroberts This has also been discussed here. We don't like to change settings with a firmware upgrade and hwnat wasn't an opiton with the initial firmware. There is no harm when enabling it, however if also using DPI you will not see traffic that is offloaded in the traffic analysis.

Thank you for this. As with clee604 I saw about 450mbit on a gbit connection, but after changing this I see 900mbit+. The GUI has become more sluggish after changing this, especially with high traffic, but a trade-off I'm more than willing to live with.