Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Emerging Member

EdgeRouter and compatibility with Cisco 881

[ Edited ]

I'm wondering whether anybody else has this situation, a EdgeRouterX as the primary router and then a Cisco 881 integrated services router as a device on the network, such as in a work-at-home environment? I want to ensure that it will indeed work for me without problems; considering EdgeRouterX has lots of features that typical home workers don't use. I want to ensure that the EdgeRouter will treat the Cisco like any other device and not as an additional router or something. In my case, the Cisco functions as a direct connection to the office network. So, would having it behind a EdgeRouter cause anything different to happen rather than, say, a default Verizon FiOS setup? I'd rather not have to deal with compatibility issues brought on by Ubiquiti and possibly either lose an opportunity or money spent on a good product.

Kudos: 2

Re: EdgeRouter and compatibility with Cisco 881

Cambridgeport90 wrote:

In my case, the Cisco functions as a direct connection to the office network. 

Direct connection? I guess VPN? What kind? We need a bit more details about the setup you had in mind / current working setup. And what do you mean by compatibility? They both speak "IP", you should be fine, it will treat the 881 exactly the way you configure it.

Emerging Member

Basically it's a VPN appliance, yes, though no one is using that term to describe it. I just want to ensure that when I plug it into the Ubiquiti it will be recognized properly; you know how enterprise equipment is, sometimes they don't play very well together, plus I want to ensure that having what essentially amounts to two VPNs won't affect anything.

Emerging Member

I should probably also clarify myself: I don't have the Ubiquiti yet considering I'm trying to figure this stuff out, and also, what I meant by two VPNs, is that the Ubiquiti would be acting as a site-to-site VPN on my personal network, separate from the one where I work. The Cisco comes from work. So I want to ensure that the Cisco gets treated as a device on the network, and the two routers don't fight with one another for routing. I know that they work with ISP-provided equipment, if that matters. Also, if this matters, might be able to help determine what kind of connection this is, when the Cisco is plugged into the network, the office computer only has access to the company network, not my personal network.

[ Edited ]

Just to see if I got it right, the office computer sits behind the Cisco on a diffrent LAN than your home network, the Cisco's WAN interface sits on your home network?

So the setup would be:

ERX -->|--> Cisco881 --> office computer

|

|--> other home network equipment

?

Emerging Member

You are indeed correct. There is also a PowerConnect Switch in there, though the office equipment won't touch that. I'd attach the Cisco router directly to the ERX. The second LAN ... not sure, though I'd imagine it is ... I hope it is ... If it's a VPN appliance, then, it would be, right? After all, when the Cisco is plugged in, everything connected to it is cut off from the rest of the network; that sounds like VLAN to me.

[ Edited ]

881 is a plain good ol' router, it can act as a "VPN appliance" if you configure it that way but in the end it's just a router. The PCs behind the Cisco are in a diffrent LAN in your case, it sounds like VLAN in this case bacause of the separation, but it would be more accurate to say it's in a diffrent LAN.

You need to know the VPN tech used otherwise it's gonna be trial and error, and mostly error. I could assume it's direct IPSec or some other IPSec flavor, as that's the tipical stuff I see on this type of routers, but still it can be anything else supported.

If you find out what type it is I can run a test and help with the conf but that's about it.

Emerging Member

if I find anything, I'll let you know, though no one is very forthcoming with information; lots of "I don't know" and "I don't know if I can answer that" mentalities. My friend, though has a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter himself, and he's coming to assist me with the setup of mine, and since he knows about the work at home environment, I'm hoping that he might have something. I'll keep you guys updated, though. I just figured going right to the horse's mouth first would be a good idea. This won't cost me much of anything thanks to a Newegg gift card, so it doesn't hurt to try the experiment. LOL

Emerging Member

I'll do my best; the Cisco 881 is pre-configured from my company, and I know not what the configuration is since it's not posted anywhere. I suppose I'll have to obtain the equipment, discover the configs myself (though not sure how much access I have to that), and then post back. In the meantime, I'll ask around and see what I can get. I'd have posted it already if it were available.

I know that type of environment, it's legit to a degree to be that way but for this to work we still need some ideea of the tech, not very specific, not very detailed but at least the vpn tech used. Otherwise it's trial and error as I said before. Well, let us know if you need any help.

Highlighted
Emerging Member

It's IPSec if that helps ... I'll be honest, I'm less concerned about whether the device will plug into the Ubiquiti but more so of my personal devices being able to inadvertently access company data; after all, I've got servers on the network with people moving in and out of it all the time. Luckily, when I'm not working from home, I can turn the Cisco device off, which seems to indicate it's not a router, but an IPSec VPN. That's what I've gleaned so far from speaking to people who are currently using the devices. The setup I have is not documented since no one else around me is as sophisticated on their own networks as me; I'm just technologically insane, that's all. LOL Anyway, I'll see what more information I can get and I'll update you.

[ Edited ]

Did you ever get this working?