Emerging Member
Kudos: 3
Solutions: 1

Re: Edgemax with Google Fiber and TV

Here is what does not work:  Inserting the VLAN-aware smart switch (GS108v2) in the path between ER-X and FIber Jack with factory default settings.   Connectivity is lost for Google Fiber internet, even before trying the TV box.

On the other hand, installing an unmanaged gigabit switch like the Netgear GS305 does preseve Internet access.  I'll report back later with results on if it works with the Google TV box.

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

This thread seems to have died out, but for anyone who finds this in a search, here is what is required to connect Google TV to an existing Google Fiber installation with an Edgerouter. 

The Google Router / Storage Box (GFRG210) FIber Jack (WAN) port gets connected to the GS305 switch, and the TV Box connects to a LAN port on the GFRG210.  Even though the GFRG210 puts out POE on the WAN port, POE doesn't activate (by design) when connected to a non-POE receiving port on the GS305.

Network Diagram1.png

This configuration appears to result in two IP addresses on the Internet. The GFRG210 pulls one for the TV, and the ER-X pulls another for the LAN. They seem to be coexisting just fine in the first few hours.

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your work and post.

I think my hook up is similar - it has been since March since I connected it and I have not had to reboot even once.

I would have to go look to see what actual model number switches I am using.

Fiber Jack to unmanaged switch (TP-Link) - split to Edge Router Lite and GFNB - then ERL to house network (which starts with another unmanaged switch - a Netgear) and GFNB to TV Box

If yours is working, I do have a question:
Since I do apparently have 2 IP addresses, I cannot get my "house network" devices (such as a phone connected to house using wi-fi) to control the TV - ie, no use of Google Fiber app on that phone - no ability to view my DVR storage on that phone etc.

Any simple way to map those "house network" devices to the GFNB so I can use them and the TV together?

20171009_210236.jpg
Emerging Member

@jurgy1, Thanks for the reply! I can see that there could be an issue if you needed direct access to the TV Box over your LAN. they are on completely independent LANs.  

In theory, you could use the EdgeRouter to link the two LAN networks. I say in theory, because this is getting into deep areas, where knowledge is obtained by studying KBs and poring over long threads in this forum.

I'm just starting out with the UBNT way of working, but here's what I think would need to happen:

1) If you have a spare ethernet port in your Edgerouter (it looks like you do), remove it from any existing switch so it is independent. 

2) Manually assign it an IP address on the subnet used by the GFNB  LAN (ensuring no conflicts on that network of course). 

3) Ensure that the GFNB LAN network is different than your edgerouter LAN network. I.E. They cannot both be 192.168.1.0/24.

4) Create firewall rules to allow traffic to route between your ER LAN and the GFNB LAN, specifically to/from the TV box.  I learned in my experiences in trying to isolate a guest network that the Edgrouter creates routes between IP networks on all interfaces by default. So you have to block any paths you don't want with firewall rules.

5) Interconnect the ER ethernet port that you just configured to a spare LAN port on the GFNB.

Again, this is complex stuff, and you wan't to be sure you don't open any security holes. Lots of studying and testing is advisable. Maybe an expert like @redfive will jump in with some more tips.

@timg11

I've been away from all the Google FIber/TV conversations for a while, due to personal family things, and now I'm back checking into it again so I can get my ER POe back in the mix. I originally had the separate GF router/storage box, and when the drive in the storage box failed, I got the integrated unit. 

I fought with that for a few days trying to get the TV working along with the internet, but ended up putting the Google NB back in place due to time constraints. 

Now, following this post through again, I see where I missed a few things, and am ready to try again!

All I would like to know is what you are using for a config on your UB router.  The 'basic' (if there IS such an animal!) config for use with Google Fiber, (w/o TV) or something else?  

That's likely where I'll start from this weekend, and go from there.

Thanks for any feedback!

For what it's worth, I'm in Kansas City, MO.

Emerging Member

@prbenson,  I use Steve Jenkins config.boot.erx  with a few modifications for the specifics of my local network. That is what I consider the "basic" config, and Steve has already removed the GoogleTV specific aspects that turned out the be problematic because Google changed them frequently. So the VLAN-transparent gigabit switch linking the Google Router for the TV, the ER-X, and the FiberJack is required. (as shown in the diagram I posted previosly)

Are you guys able to access IPv6 websites with this setup? Trying to diagnose issues with the ERL config.
Emerging Member

Yes, test-ipv6.com gives 10 out of 10:

testipv6.png

timg11 - Any chance you'd post your config file?

Highlighted

Just confirmed that the 'switch in the middle' technique works.

Google fiber jack into switch

Google fiber tv box WAN into switch

Edge router eth1 into switch

Edge Router eth2 is my "new" internet

Edge router eth0 is my future 'management' port

Right now my house network behind the fiber tv box is still functioning and tvs are working.  

No firewall at the moment, but it's running!  First step

interfaces {
ethernet eth0 {
address 192.168.2.1/24
description eth0_Maintenance
duplex auto
speed auto
}
ethernet eth1 {
description eth1_GFiberJack
duplex auto
speed auto
vif 2 {
address dhcp
description Google_Fiber
dhcp-options {
default-route update
default-route-distance 210
}
dhcpv6-pd {
pd 0 {
interface eth2 {
host-address ::1
prefix-id :0
service slaac
}
prefix-length /56
}
rapid-commit enable
}
egress-qos 0:2
ipv6 {
address {
autoconf
}
dup-addr-detect-transmits 1
}
}
}
ethernet eth2 {
address 10.0.10.1/24
description eth2_LAN_Private
duplex auto
speed auto
ipv6 {
dup-addr-detect-transmits 1
router-advert {
cur-hop-limit 64
link-mtu 0
managed-flag false
max-interval 600
other-config-flag false
prefix ::/64 {
autonomous-flag true
on-link-flag true
valid-lifetime 2592000
}
radvd-options "RDNSS fe80::26a4:3cff:feb3:3aa4 2001:4860:4860::8888 {};"
reachable-time 0
retrans-timer 0
send-advert true
}
}
}
loopback lo {
}
}
port-forward {
auto-firewall disable
hairpin-nat enable
wan-interface eth1
lan-interface eth2
}
service {
gui {
http-port 80
https-port 443
older-ciphers enable
}
snmp {
community libre {
authorization ro
}
contact <email>
location <location>
}
ssh {
port 22
protocol-version v2
}
unms {
disable
}
dhcp-server {
disabled false
hostfile-update enable
shared-network-name Private_DHCP {
authoritative enable
subnet 10.0.10.0/24 {
default-router 10.0.10.1
dns-server 8.8.8.8
dns-server 8.8.4.4
lease 86400
start 10.0.10.100 {
stop 10.0.10.199
}
}
}
}
dns {
forwarding {
cache-size 500
listen-on eth2
name-server 2001:4860:4860::8888
name-server 2001:4860:4860::8844
name-server 8.8.8.8
name-server 8.8.4.4
}
}
nat {
rule 5000 {
description "Masquerade to WAN"
log disable
outbound-interface eth1.2
protocol all
type masquerade
}
}
}
system {
conntrack {
expect-table-size 4096
hash-size 4096
table-size 32768
tcp {
half-open-connections 512
loose disable
max-retrans 3
}
}
host-name ubnt
login {
user ubnt {
authentication {
encrypted-password $1$zKNoUbAo$gomzUbYvgyUMcD436Wo66.
}
level admin
}
}
name-server 2001:4860:4860::8888
name-server 2001:4860:4860::8844
name-server 8.8.8.8
name-server 8.8.4.4
ntp {
server 0.ubnt.pool.ntp.org {
}
server 1.ubnt.pool.ntp.org {
}
server 2.ubnt.pool.ntp.org {
}
server 3.ubnt.pool.ntp.org {
}
}
offload {
hwnat disable
ipsec enable
ipv4 {
forwarding enable
}
ipv6 {
forwarding enable
}
}
syslog {
global {
facility all {
level notice
}
facility protocols {
level debug
}
}
}
time-zone America/Chicago
}

/* Warning: Do not remove the following line. */
/* === vyatta-config-version: "config-management@1:conntrack@1:cron@1:dhcp-relay@1:dhcp-server@4:firewall@5:ipsec@5:nat@3:qos@1:quagga@2:system@4:ubnt-pptp@1:ubnt-unms@1:ubnt-util@1:vrrp@1:webgui@1:webproxy@1:zone-policy@1" === */
/* Release version: v1.9.7+hotfix.4.5024004.171005.0403 */
Emerging Member

@gx1400

Actually hammered away this weekend and I think I have most of it going. Thanks!