Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Edgemax with Google Fiber and TV

Hello,  I have been following the boards for a few weeks and the Network Box substituion or improvement thread over on the google product forums.  I went ahead and picked up an Edgemax to replace the GF network box.  By using information here and on the other board I was able to at least get it working with my Level 2 switch enough that I could access the internet although the speeds were lower than the GF box normally recieves.   I didn't have a lot of time before I needed to switch back to the GF network box because I was unable to get any of the TV's working.  I know that Atlantisman on this board and the Google boards says he was able to get the TV's going and the internet without using the seperate switch and was seeing pretty good speeds.  I was just looking for some insight from someone that had GF and their TV boxes and have them working with the edgemax router.  I think I need to configure something with a multicast proxy and I haven't been able to find the details on it yet or how he was able to configure the Edgemax to not use the router for vlan and qos/cos.

Thanks,
Jeff

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 13
Solutions: 1

Re: Edgemax with Google Fiber and TV

[ Edited ]

Hello, I am Atlantisman from the Google Fiber forums and i have just completed the first version of my Edgemax guide for google fiber.

it can be found on my blog here:

http://blog.nexusshield.com/

Thanks!

View solution in original post

All Replies

[ Edited ]

Hello, I am Atlantisman from the Google Fiber forums and i have just completed the first version of my Edgemax guide for google fiber.

Thanks!

Thanks for the response and scripts and great directions on your blog.  I have tried it from a clean reset and have run into a few issues running the first script.  So I went through and started running them a few lines at a time.  The first thing I ran into was around the MGMT/More Internet Stuff.  I think I needed to back out of the interfaces section one more time and then do the edit system package and I was able to get the set repository commands to work.  The other thing I have run into is the commands to apt-get install vlan.  Since the google fiber connection is not established yet at this point it appears it is unable to get the vlan package and the commands after that won't run because the package is not installed. 

The kids got home from school so I had to switch back to the GF Network box for now, but I will continue to work on it and try to run the commands again and see if I can figure out what I need to do. 

Thanks again,

Jeff

[ Edited ]

Sorry about that, looks like the command order got a little out of whack. I will modify the script.

Edit: it should be fixed now, i will have to test it tonight when i get home just to be sure.

Thanks for looking at it so quickly.  I will also download the new version and give it a try and report back later.

Jeff

After further testing i ran into some problems with the command wrapper for EdgeOS scripting.

I have re-done the script so you can copy/paste the content of the script into your terminal window as root and it will do its job.

Check the blog for the updated scripts.

Let me know if there are further problems.

Thanks so much for your help on this so far.  I have most of it working now.  I did notice in the tv script that rule 25 and rule 100 in the wan_in appear to be missing the "state" qualifier on the related enable lines:

set rule 25 related enable

set rule 100 related disable

I updated those on my scripts and they ran through without errors.  The only issue I seem to be having is with TV if I have the wan_local firewall rule enabled.  The TV will play fine for a while and then will hang for a period of time unless I change the channel or wait long enough then it will start playing again.  I also noticed something similar using the tablet app to play live tv.  It starts out fine, but then after a few minutes it will start to studder and either stop or the sound and picture get very choppy.  If I disable the wan_local part of the firewall the tv's appear to work fine.  I'm done working on it for today, but will look into it further tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Previous Employee
Kudos: 3059
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

Atlantisman wrote:

Thanks!

Nice work.  In the next release I have added the following:

ubnt@ubnt# set interfaces ethernet eth0 vif 100 egress-qos "0:2 6:7"
[edit]
ubnt@ubnt# commit
[edit]

ubnt@ubnt# sudo cat /proc/net/vlan/eth0.100
eth0.100  VID: 100	 REORDER_HDR: 1  dev->priv_flags: 1
         total frames received            0
          total bytes received            0
      Broadcast/Multicast Rcvd            0

total frames transmitted            4
       total bytes transmitted          408
Device: eth0
INGRESS priority mappings: 0:0  1:0  2:0  3:0  4:0  5:0  6:0 7:0
 EGRESS priority mappings: 0:2 6:7 

So you won't have to add vconfig and can do it all in the CLI.

EdgeMAX Router Software Development

Awesome. That will make things much cleaner/easier!

Has it been release when 1.6 will be coming out?

Previous Employee
Kudos: 3059
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

Atlantisman wrote:

Awesome. That will make things much cleaner/easier!

Has it been release when 1.6 will be coming out?

We're currenly alpha testing v1.6.0alpha2, so it depends on how well the testing goes.

EdgeMAX Router Software Development
Kudos: 12

This is really cool, I'd love to know more about how this is working. What is google doing speficially at the ONT that prevents it from being plug and play like FiOS ethernet installations.

You mentioned wiriting a guide on how to set this up in pfsense but I could not find it. Do you still have the link?

You can find Atlantisman's guide and information on using the netgear switch here:

http://flyovercountry.org/2014/02/google-fiber-gigabit-speeds-your-router-part-1-vlans/

If you scroll down the page to the Update 15 Aug 2014:  you will see a link to his other helpful guide.

Jeff

The original guide was posted right here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gj6guphe4bc8k4t/GoogleFiberRouterGuide.pdf?dl=0

And there are two main things being done on the OTN to prevent people from using their own router.

1. The internet comes in on vlan 2, which was not known until a google employee let it slip, then his post was deleted minutes/hours later.

2. In order to get the full bandwidth you need to setup CoS on your router, otherwise you will get full download and 10mbps upload. The CoS settings were also let slip in the same post. From there it was up to us to figure out how to configure our own equipment to conform to their network.

Also, the TV services were a whole other monster, none of the information for that was released, i had to figure it all out with wireshark and a network tap, sniffing the traffic being passed to/from the TV hardware(DVR and STB).

Interesting problem Jeff,

I have factory reset my edgerouter a couple times now and tv/internet service works right after running the script.

Also, those lines on the script are not missing, maybe you caught it inbetween one of my updates, i was doing quite a few last night while testing.

-Let me know if you have further problems.

I ran out of time checking things, but this morning I had issues with the TV with the TV pausing.  If I disable the wan_local rule completely or if I change it to default-action accept the TV's work fine.  I will try to play with it more as time allows.  The 2 lines I stated earlier are in your current scripts on your blog, but the state line is missing I think.

You have:

set rule 25 related enable

set rule 100 related disable

and I got an error on those lines until I added state:

set rule 25 state related enable

set rule 100 state related disable

I'm not sure about the TV issue though.  I will try going through the wan_local rules one at a time and see if I can figure out if I have something configured incorrectly.

Thanks

Emerging Member
Kudos: 52
Solutions: 3

If somebody is searchin: all specs of the google fiber link are written down here

https://support.google.com/fiber/faq/3333053?hl=en

Emerging Member
Kudos: 20
Solutions: 7

Is "I have more than 2^72 IPv6 hosts" really a Frequently Asked Question at Google ? Man Tongue

Emerging Member
Kudos: 1

Sorry to drag up an old post, my dad's GF is being installed this week and I had him order the Edgerouter lite and some UBNT WAP's.  Does the blog entry posted above work well with 1.6?

LGSONE

LGSONE IN KC
EdgeRouter POE5
Unifi coming soon.

[ Edited ]

LGSONE wrote:

Sorry to drag up an old post, my dad's GF is being installed this week and I had him order the Edgerouter lite and some UBNT WAP's.  Does the blog entry posted above work well with 1.6?

LGSONE

Yes, i updated it for 1.6, it should work great.

Kudos: 4
Solutions: 2

[ Edited ]
No more frequent then my nerves design requires more than 256 (2^8) subnets.
Remember that in all but adgerouter cases (eg Pont to point tunnels) the longest subnet mask is 64 bits, I can't remember the relevant rfc now (will update this post later)
The CCNA forum http://www.sadikhov.com/forum/index.php?/topic/178027-maximum-hosts-per-vlan/ suggests that cisco says a max of 500 hosts/subnet/vlan so that could result in 128000. Hosts before yo exhaust a single /56 witch I guess will be enugh for most homes and small enterprises.