Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

Failing USB drive on a Edgerouter Lite?

running into a few usb read/write errors on the internal usb drive on a edgerouter lite. Can i just replace the internal drive with a standard usb stick? Any guides on the recovery/formatting of the replacement usb stick? Version: v1.5.0 Build ID: 4677648 Build on: 06/20/14 13:01 Copyright: 2012-2014 Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. HW model: EdgeRouter Lite 3-Port admin@edge:~$ show webproxy blacklist categories end_request: critical target error, dev sda, sector 2492512 EXT3-fs error (device sda2): ext3_find_entry: reading directory #106868 offset 0 end_request: critical target error, dev sda, sector 2515960 EXT3-fs error (device sda2): ext3_find_entry: reading directory #107035 offset 0 end_request: critical target error, dev sda, sector 2535248 EXT3-fs error (device sda2): ext3_find_entry: reading directory #107110 offset 0 end_request: critical target error, dev sda, sector 2550872 EXT3-fs error (device sda2): ext3_find_entry: reading directory #107158 offset 0 ads adult aggressive /var/log/messages Sep 8 13:08:57 ubnt kernel: end_request: critical target error, dev sda, sector 2492512 Sep 8 13:08:57 ubnt kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sda2): ext3_find_entry: reading directory #106868 offset 0 Sep 8 13:09:02 ubnt kernel: end_request: critical target error, dev sda, sector 2515960 Sep 8 13:09:02 ubnt kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sda2): ext3_find_entry: reading directory #107035 offset 0 Sep 8 13:09:07 ubnt kernel: end_request: critical target error, dev sda, sector 2535248 Sep 8 13:09:07 ubnt kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sda2): ext3_find_entry: reading directory #107110 offset 0 Sep 8 13:09:11 ubnt kernel: end_request: critical target error, dev sda, sector 2550872 Sep 8 13:09:11 ubnt kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sda2): ext3_find_entry: reading directory #107158 offset 0

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 369
Solutions: 35

Re: Failing USB drive on a Edgerouter Lite?

[ Edited ]

If you have a console cable, you can replace the USB Drive and then use @dmbaturin's edgemax rescue kit, see here:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/EdgeMax-rescue-kit-now-you-can-reinstall-EdgeOS-from-scratch/t...

But by opening your Router, you void the warranty - so sending it to RMA might also be a good idea.

If you don't have a console cable, you can also prepare the new USB drive on any linux box with a spare USB port - @NVX describes this in the thread linked above on page 3/4

View solution in original post

All Replies

Sorry about the odd formatting on the post... running into a few usb read/write errors on the internal usb drive on a edgerouter lite. Can i just replace the internal drive with a standard usb stick? Any guides on the recovery/formatting of the replacement usb stick? (attached the console logs)
Kudos: 369
Solutions: 35

[ Edited ]

If you have a console cable, you can replace the USB Drive and then use @dmbaturin's edgemax rescue kit, see here:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/EdgeMax-rescue-kit-now-you-can-reinstall-EdgeOS-from-scratch/t...

But by opening your Router, you void the warranty - so sending it to RMA might also be a good idea.

If you don't have a console cable, you can also prepare the new USB drive on any linux box with a spare USB port - @NVX describes this in the thread linked above on page 3/4

>But by opening your Router, you void the warranty - so sending it to RMA might also be a good idea.

Screw driver and new usb at the ready!

This device is used for personal lab, dont mind breaking something to figure out how it works.

thanks for the links and help

Kudos: 4

I found that my edgerouter was no longer working and the usb drive was giving errors and saying it was write protected.  I also had a patriot flash drive that had the same problem and I ironically was able to fix the drive in the edgerouter by running this utility but unable to fix my patriot drive using said utility.  I think because my patriot drive does not have a fat partition on it and windows doesn't recogize it.   If anyone is interested. Here is the utility.  I was able to zero out the drive and then partition it again.  I haven't got my edgerouter working yet though. Still working on that.

http://www.patriotmemory.com/software/Patriot%20Supersonic%20Rage%20LLF%20Tool.zip

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have 3 ERL that have worked perfectly for about 2 years now.  Last week one site has a power issue that cuased the power to off and on a few times and after that, the router refused to boot.  I plugged a console cable in and it was failing to read from the usb.  Now, as its over a year old, i found this thread and followed the instructions here (and on another thread) and got a SanDisk Chruzer fit 8Gb and wrote a copy of the image from a good ERL to it and inserted it into the dead ERL. 

Booted it up and......Nothing.

It fails to find the drive.  Odd i thought, as i looked at this e100# prompt. 

I typed help, got a list of commands which included a usb command,

Typed help usb and got a list of usb subcommands. 

Typed usb reset and........it finds the usb drive. 

Type help again and see a reset command to reboot the router,

Type reset, ERL reboots and finds the USB drive and boots the router, config and all.

So i know the USB drive is good, but it just seems to take a little too long to initilise on the cold boot.

So now to the question.  In the shell with the e100# prompt, is there a way to permanantly tell the ERL to increase the timeout waiting for the USB drive to initialise?

The post i read, suggested teh SanDisk Cruzer Fit 8Gb, but i have also tried teh 32Gb one i have, and that does exactly the same.

Any help, because i noted in my syslog that one of the other routers is occasionaly logging read errors from the USB so i think that one is also on its way out, and rather than buy new routers just to get a working USB drive, i would rather find a solution using the drives I have.

Thanks

Ian...

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

More searching and found this one

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/New-U-Boot-image-for-better-USB-drive-compatibility/m-p/851038#...

Not knowing the actual syntax, it took me a little while, and eentually pasted this into the ERL and its now booting.

setenv oldbootcmd 'fatload usb 0 $loadaddr vmlinux.64;bootoctlinux $loadaddr coremask=0x3 root=/dev/sda2 rootdelay=15 rw rootsqimg=squashfs.img rootsqwdir=w mtdparts=phys_mapped_flash:512k(boot0),512k(boot1),64k@1024k(eeprom)'
setenv bootcmd 'sleep 10; usb reset; sleep 10; $(oldbootcmd)'
saveenv

Ian..

When you search the internet you get pages of complaints from a failed boot flashdrive. I have two  edgerouter-lite boxes that have failed during a wizard reset.  I repaired Edgerouter-lite (ERTL) the first time by cloning the flashdrive from a new  ERTL. I will use the saved flashdrive copy and try to boot off a new cloned drive. These flashdrive failures have been happening too frequently over the past couple of years.  A consumer level version of an Enterprise level product?

"Carrier-Class Reliability" has not been my experience.

I will no longer recommend Ubuquiti Edge Series Routers to any one else.

Ubiquiti support question: In my case, the 3 failures occured while re-running the EDGEROUTER-lite wizard to reset the NET configuration; and  I waited for it complete running.

Ubuquiti: How about offering a replacement flashdrive for sale, The internal flashdrive's physical size is too small for easy replacement. I should not have to physically cut down a commercial flashdrive to fit.