Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

How to copy configuration text using GUI and CLS on Windows PC

How can I create the copy referenced in step 2 of this FAQ? EdgeMAX - How do I properly post / upload configuration code in community?

I can view configuration in the CLS window reached via the GUI. Selecting the text allows me to copy it via a local menu that appears in the CLS but that copy does not end up in the windows paste buffer. I bet the answer is obvious but I haven't got a clue.

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 4759
Solutions: 1340

Re: How to copy configuration text using GUI and CLS on Windows PC

Highlight = copy

(move to notepad, wordpad, the forums here, etc.) -> right click -> paste

View solution in original post

All Replies
Previous Employee
Kudos: 749
Solutions: 334
Contributions: 16

Are you having problems copying the "show configuration" from the CLI button in the GUI? All you have to do is highlight the text in the window, right click, and copy.
Devin B.
Previous Employee
Kudos: 3055
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

You'll have better luck with cut/paste if you using ssh rather than the GUI CLI window.

EdgeMAX Router Software Development

I suspect better luck means the GUI CLI copy command does not use the windows paste buffer and I will have zero luck trying that approach.  Alas, I've had no luck using SSH. Hints about what I'm missing here?

Using the approach described in Access Using SSH I find that login fails with "access denied". The connection is from a Windows 7 PC via eth0 immediately after running the WAN+2LAN Wizard. I can login to the GUI at 192.168.1.1 with User: ubnt and Password: ubnt. 

SSH01.png

SSH02.png

Ah, the magic of getting it right for a change. PuTTY seems to have filled in some of the info on its own.

I should have entered only ubnt at the prompt rather than ssh ubnt@192.168.1.1 as described in step 2.

SSH is enabled by default.

1. Open the SSH client on your computer.
  2. At the login prompt, enter: ssh <username>@<hostname> Note: The defaults are ubnt for the <username> and 192.168.1.1 for the <hostname>. You can also enter a domain name instead of an IP address for the hostname. Upon initial login, a host key will be displayed. You will be asked to confirm that you want to save the host key to the local database. Click Yes to bypass this message in the future.
  3. At the Password prompt, enter the password (the default is ubnt).

SSH03.png

SuperUser

is ubnt/ubnt the username / password that you use to log into the web UI with?  

If you changed it, you'll have to use the new username / password.

Yeah, the user name and password are still the default and work when logging into the GUI. They also work for SSH login. 

I found the description for using the SSH client (PuTTY) confusing and entered too much information when I should have typed only this: ubnt <ENTER> ubnt.  

In the SSH client window opened via PuTTY on a Win7 PC I can list the configuration, so that is progress of a sort.

However, I am still searching for how to copy selected text from the SSH CLI into the Windows paste buffer. Right mouse click doesn't launch a local menu. Is there a control key sequence to copy the selection?

SuperUser

Highlight = copy

(move to notepad, wordpad, the forums here, etc.) -> right click -> paste

Wow, noticing the selection was automatically copied to the paste buffer? Never happened, so thanks for the hint.

I've been messing about with PCs for decades and never encountered this behavior. (Or perhaps it is common and I never noticed?)

SuperUser

It's a PuTTY thing, because Windows does copy and paste wrong (ctrl+C & ctrl+V instead of ctrl+INS / shift+INS or ctrl+shift+c / ctrl+shift+v as with *nix boxen).