Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Move from Pfsense to EdgeMax Pro

Hi Everyone! 

I have old virtual pfsense firewall which i havent upgraded! :-( (i know naughty me!) The reason i havent touched it is, is because like Edgemax its just floorless! it just works! Its pure amazing! 

So... i am looking to upgrade! and debating to go to Edgemax! 

So is there any benefit from moving from a virtual firewall to a physical Edgemax Pro? 

Really not sure what to do! I use Edgemax everywhere for my customers that need a physical appliance! And Edgemax is my perfence of choice every time, when it comes to hardware! 

I am a lover of pfsense, but where it makes sense! especially in the virtual world.  UBNT is pretty cool as well! in terms of performance etc! Thin OS, based on Vyetta! some commands any guru would recognize! 

So im on the fence with what i should do! 

Any help to decide from anyone would be good! 

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 17
Solutions: 5

Re: Move from Pfsense to EdgeMax Pro

You've been in the field long enough, then you already know the answer, build for requirements, not for the hardware.  If you need IPS/IDS and or a lot of extra specialty features, go with PFSense.

If you need a platform that can supply line-rate speeds for low cost, go with Edgemax, that's pretty much the major difference between the two platforms in a nutshell.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 17
Solutions: 5

You've been in the field long enough, then you already know the answer, build for requirements, not for the hardware.  If you need IPS/IDS and or a lot of extra specialty features, go with PFSense.

If you need a platform that can supply line-rate speeds for low cost, go with Edgemax, that's pretty much the major difference between the two platforms in a nutshell.

Thank you for your quick response!