Established Member
Kudos: 423
Solutions: 65

Re: Requests/suggestions for new hardware models

See EdgeRouter-8-XG, EdgeRouter-4, EdgeRouter-6.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1224
Solutions: 96

The ER-4 has four cores, nearly twice the processing power of an ERPro-8, and sells for roughly half as much.

The ER-8-XG has sixteen cores and ten times the processing power of an ERPro-8.

Kudos: 2

I know that but bear with me a moment okey ? First do you recall the threat of the guy doing an estimation of the power of the infinity ? It was pretty loosy if I remember correctly no?

So I guess it’s because of the type of cpu used ?
So I guess the er4 won’t do any better ? And plus I would really like the same rack form and the same number of ports of er8 pro
Of course the er4 or er6 are great for those who are not already have a rackmount setup....
and just out of curiosity, what are you gonna do if your old er8 pro for example ? A vpn setup?
Veteran Member

It's possible there may be a bit of a language barrier here, so please bear with us as well.

vigilian wrote:
do you recall the threat of the guy doing an estimation of the power of the infinity ? It was pretty loosy if I remember correctly no?

So I guess it’s because of the type of cpu used ?

https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/comparison/

I would really like the same rack form and the same number of ports of er8 pro
Of course the er4 or er6 are great for those who are not already have a rackmount setup....

An inexpensive rackmount kit is available for the ER-4/6.  Anyone want to take a guess at the percentage of ER-8 installations which use more than six ports?

true about the number of ports.  I don't say that I have a valid point here, as I said it was certainly stupid questions.

And as right now, I can't retrieve the thread from november or october about the guy being pissed off about the "infinity" performance and the whole debat was about the number of packets the infinity could process and the guys was comparing to other brands where in case of a DDOS attack for example, the infinity would be annihilated ....

Sad that I can't retrieve the thrad, maybe it has been deleted. And so I wanted to have your opinion on that?

I'm going to look for the rackmount, thanks for the tip. Don't hesitate if  you retrieve the link.

Established Member
Kudos: 787
Solutions: 117

I remember that thread and IMO it was really nothing more than a pointless and baseless rant.  There are those that need to vent and feel public forums are the best place for that.  I'm not going to waste my time to try to find that thread which likely does still exist.

You can't believe everything you read on the internet, particularly in anonymous/semi-anonymous public forums.

The comparison link referenced by @MimCom is worthy of a review, particularly the 64-byte packet throughput and PPS details.

key glad I'm not hallucinating at least. I thank I need some explanation about all that to understand a bit better the situation and how the numbers in that review is related  to one each other. If you do have some docs which would explain the whole story and so some usecase maybe, I'm all ears. thanks in advance.

Established Member
Kudos: 787
Solutions: 117

The short answer is that the ER-8-XG is more than capable of withstanding a DoS attack.  The Infinity can handle more than the maximimum possible number of packets possible through a 10Gbps interface with room to spare (this is what 64-byte packet specs represent).

As for real-world forwarding performance, with 1518-byte packets an ER-8-XG is rated to forward 10Gbps through all eight ports simultaneously.

a big thanks to you to reassure me about this point.
Kudos: 44
Solutions: 3

If you are talking about 8 core chips, like what cellphones use, we're talking about 100$ overhead... which would be fine

I would love a VDSL port so much! 

Established Member
Kudos: 126
Solutions: 2

Emerging Member
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 1

Neat; i had no idea such existed as SFP devices.
Tad expensive, but cool none the less!
Veteran Member

Those appear to be intended for use on campus of building wiring.  Lower down on that page, there is a link to https://www.versatek.com/product/vx-160ce-vdsl2-sfp-modem-remote-telco-grade/

Wish they offered an ADSL2 variant.  CenturyLink still hasn't deployed VDSL here.