Kudos: 29
Solutions: 5
Accepted Solution

Streaming

is there a way to limit video streaming(netflix and such) per client?

and then apply qos?basically I want to priortize DNS, VOiP, Browsing, Streaming, large downloads and PtP in that order.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Previous Employee
Kudos: 5411
Solutions: 1657
Contributions: 2

Re: Streaming

Unless for example the set of servers for such streaming applications can be defined, that will require some "higher-level" analysis of the packets to categorize the applications (i.e., DPI-like functionality) and it is not currently supported (though as discussed before we might look into that). Things like DNS, VoIP, and browsing may be doable assuming categorization based on ports, DSCP, etc. is possible.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Previous Employee
Kudos: 5411
Solutions: 1657
Contributions: 2

Unless for example the set of servers for such streaming applications can be defined, that will require some "higher-level" analysis of the packets to categorize the applications (i.e., DPI-like functionality) and it is not currently supported (though as discussed before we might look into that). Things like DNS, VoIP, and browsing may be doable assuming categorization based on ports, DSCP, etc. is possible.

Kudos: 29
Solutions: 5

Please work on the streaming.

Kudos: 78
Solutions: 3

[ Edited ]

limiting streams could create a less then enjoyable expierience for end users and in my opinion isnt a nice thing to do.

everyone wants the best internet they can get right?

but i guess it can be nessesarry when bandwidth is an issue.

instead of limiting stream. think of prioritizing other things Man Wink

the most common use of my 10 user home network is live video traffic and i wouldnt wanna make it worse for anyone.

used internet is better than unused internet.

T1200 - ERX - UAP - R7000 - WEB6000Q
Established Member
Kudos: 394
Solutions: 57

I was in HITEC show in LA last week, and saw a demo of the NITO which does exactly this. It's a layer 7 device that analyses and prioritises traffic based on protocol or even down to the application itself. I am interested in this sort of service for large hotels and public access networks.

For the sake of transparency, this is a group-company of the company I work for, but information here for anyone interested. Nomadix NITO I personally thought this might be quite interesting for the WISP market, especially when wanting control over file sharing, which can be given a lower protocol than say, Google Video, or Skype etc etc.