Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Kudos: 150
Solutions: 23
Accepted Solution

run mDNS without the enabling the reflector

Currently, I cannot communicate with my ERL by name like I can the other devices on my network via mDNS. After searching the forum, I was able to find that I can enable the mDNS Reflector with these commands:

configure
set service mdns reflector
commit
save
exit

That allowed me to ping the ERL by name, but this setting concerns me. It seems that when this command is entered, it sets enable-reflector=yes under /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf. 

from http://linux.die.net/man/5/avahi-daemon.conf:

"enable-reflector= Takes a boolean value ("yes" or "no"). If set to "yes" avahi-daemon will reflect incoming mDNS requests to all local network interfaces, effectively allowing clients to browse mDNS/DNS-SD services on all networks connected to the gateway. Defaults to "no".

So, Enabling the reflector turns Avahi into an mDNS proxy, forwarding mDNS traffic to the other interfaces on my ERL. This is particularly bad, as the other interfaces are my WAN and Guest networks, neither of which I want to broadcast to.

I ran the following commands to turn off the reflector:

configure
delete service mdns
commit
save
exit

Then manually modified the /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf to comment out enable-reflector and to set allow-interfaces:

allow-interfaces=eth0

#enable-reflector=no

Then I had to manually start the avahi-daemon since it wasn’t running. It kept failing and wouldn’t start until I also started dbus.

sudo /etc/init.d/dbus start
sudo /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon start

This allowed me to ping my router by name, without broadcasting mDNS traffic over the other 2 interfaces.

Is there any automated way to do this? How can I enable both dbus and avahi-daemon to start at boot?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Previous Employee
Kudos: 5359
Solutions: 1654
Contributions: 2

Re: run mDNS without the enabling the reflector

You could put them in a script in "/config/scripts/post-config.d" which will be executed on boot after the configuration has been loaded. Also as discussed before the initial implementation for mDNS only supports the basic case and there are options that can be added, and this could be an option as well of course.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Previous Employee
Kudos: 5359
Solutions: 1654
Contributions: 2

You could put them in a script in "/config/scripts/post-config.d" which will be executed on boot after the configuration has been loaded. Also as discussed before the initial implementation for mDNS only supports the basic case and there are options that can be added, and this could be an option as well of course.

Kudos: 211
Solutions: 24

[ Edited ]
It was requested in another thread to add in the mDNS options to specify interfaces to the CLI. No idea if it will ever get implemented.