Highlighted
Kudos: 1

Concerned about -48 DC from ISP and EdgePower

[ Edited ]

Locating in ISPs shed located under their tower. Plan is to use EdgePower connected to EP-S16 which will then be connected to an AF24 and another AF5X at the top of the tower.

My concern is I am getting up to 10 Amp -48 DC from the ISP which if I understand correctly goes to a EdgePower EP-54V-150W-DC power supply. Now the Telco says -48 VDC and the datasheet says 22-60 VDC. Is the -48 DC a problem ? Is it just a matter of getting their power on the right pins or is something altogether different ? Apologies for my ignorance of DC. The EdgePower PS seems to have a different pin configuration then say a Cisco Switch that takes 48 VDC.

In the past I have used a rack converter to take their power and convert to 110 AC and power my equipment but in this scenario I was considering only using 1U in the shed with the EdgePower and my switch will be up top with the radios. Is this viable or a bad idea ?

Thanks in advance.

SuperUser
Kudos: 1914
Solutions: 389

Re: Concerned about -48 DC from ISP and EdgePower

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Stories/EdgePower-DC-module-for-EdgePoint-and-it-works-on-posi...

Muestra tu agradecimiento, a quienes te ayudaron, con un Kudo

Si el post de un compañero te ayudó a resolver el problema, márcalo/acéptalo como solución.
Kudos: 1

This is the same setup as I use.  Virtually all my site gear runs on -48V. The Ubiquiti radios (AF11, AF24) needs +48V. Since, the input to output of the EdgePower device is isolated, it converts -48V to +48V so connect the -48V to the rectifier module and the output will be the +48V you need.

I hope this helps.

Kudos: 11

i have some questions on this -48vdc setup

can i with the edgepower power my cisco router and switches that run on negative 48V DC ?

how do i wire the system, does the Dc positive (red) need to be connected to the ground wire on the edgepower.

the edge power is powered with one 240v module . and an DC module to a 48v (4x12v battery) battery bank.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1768
Solutions: 137

@infolink wrote:

i have some questions on this -48vdc setup

can i with the edgepower power my cisco router and switches that run on negative 48V DC ?

Only if they have fully floating power supplies (ISTR some Cisco gear that did, but it's been quite a while).

how do i wire the system, does the Dc positive (red) need to be connected to the ground wire on the edgepower.

the edge power is powered with one 240v module . and an DC module to a 48v (4x12v battery) battery bank.

The EdgePower output is negative ground.