Highlighted
Kudos: 268
Solutions: 1

DC Battery Test

[ Edited ]

It would be very nice to have a automatic Battery Test Feature => the Edgepower should disable AC Power while this test, and should use the Battery as primary source so long the Battery is usable, after this test it should recharge the Battery

a usefull Feature would also be a "remaining Battery Time" could be displayed when the Battery is full => this time could use the Data of the Test above.

and when the Runtime of the Battery is to low or a dameged Battery is detected it should be displayed (maybe a email message oder in UNMS)

SuperUser
Kudos: 11083
Solutions: 685
Contributions: 1

Re: DC Battery Test

@ZillnerIT wrote:

It would be very nice to have a automatic Battery Test Feature => the Edgepower should disable AC Power while this test, and should use the Battery as primary source so long the Battery is usable, after this test it should recharge the Battery

The problem with this (and with any test of this type on any UPS system) is that if there is an AC outage during or at the end of the test the devices loose power faster or immediately.   This is always a problem with any backup system - how do you test the backup without removing the backup capability?  There is no easy answer.   We used to test the SG of the electrolyte in the battery cells monthly years ago in Central Offices, or run load tests on them locally if there was more than one battery bank (as all COs have, and our main sites today too).   But any time you degrade the performance of the backup systyem you are increasing the risk of an outage that it won't be able to cover...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1854
Solutions: 138

We have found in-circuit internal resistance testing to be a reasonable compromise.  Instrument prices have come down significantly (like 90%) since we first started using it about 20 years back.

Yes Battery Test removes backup for this Time but , I have a APC USV before the AC Power Supply which could cover 4Hours, after this 4 hours the Edgepower will use the DC Power Supply! so it is not really an issue for me, because when i could schedule the Test while my office hours i could quickly repair or change the Battery
but it would be an issue when the Battery is faulty and the runtime is low and there is a power outage outside my office hours.
so i would prefer the Battery could be tested 1 Time every Month and it displays the Battery Runtime remaining
SuperUser
Kudos: 11083
Solutions: 685
Contributions: 1

I just purchase a combo IR tester and automated Load Tester that actually puts a brief 5 - 80A load on the battery (based on the actual AH capacity of the battery which you enter into the unit) and then compares that voltage to the unloaded voltage to calculate the actual health of the battery.   Fully automatic, digital readout, portable, cost all of $40.   So I'll test the individual 12V batteries every few months or so and keep track of what they are doing in a spreadsheet and go on down the road.  And it also does the standard 1KHz AC test for IR as well.   Very accurate and inexpensive to get this info - wish these had been around years ago...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1854
Solutions: 138

[ Edited ]

@eejimm wrote:

Very accurate and inexpensive to get this info - wish these had been around years ago...

They were (but at ~$8,500 for the ones we used on central office batteries).

every solution where i must drive to the site to test the battery is a bad solution Man Wink
i think it should be simple to run a little script on the edgepower which makes this test and shows a +/- 15 min approximately runtime remaining.
SuperUser
Kudos: 9095
Solutions: 598
Contributions: 2

I think this is a valid concern.  I can't talk but maybe @UBNT-Jordan may want to add to this thread.  

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa