Kudos: 66
Solutions: 4

EdgePower to power ES-16-XG

We are wanting to increase the power input redundancy in our ES-16_XG units that we use in our core.

Is one EdgePower capable of power 2 ES-16-XG units?

SuperUser
Kudos: 11468
Solutions: 700
Contributions: 1

Re: EdgePower to power ES-16-XG

@SoundGuyFYI wrote:

We are wanting to increase the power input redundancy in our ES-16_XG units that we use in our core.

Is one EdgePower capable of power 2 ES-16-XG units?

The EP-150?   Yes, even with only one power module the 150 watts is enough to power 3 ES-16-XGs, even with all or most of the SFP+ cages filled.   The max power consumption of thre XG is 56 watts, although in most cases it will likely be well under 50.   You will want to use some kind of power distribution system to feed the ES-16s individually - I would at least use fuses in line to each switch, if not isolation diodes to prevent a short in one from taking the other down as well.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
"It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...

Would I need to step down the voltage? From what I can tell the EdgePower only puts out 54V. Would I need to step that down to 24V?
SuperUser

No - the switch is designed to operate with any DC voltage from 20 to 57VDC.   It's in the specs in the data sheet.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...

The spec sheet shows 25 to 16 VDC

image.png

Highlighted
SuperUser

Not the current one on line  https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/UniFi_Switch_US-16-XG_DS.pdf

Below is the text - I can't grab a screen shot right now

Datasheet
www.ubnt.com
JLNB110818
Specifications are subject to change. Ubiquiti products are sold with a limited warranty described at: www.ubnt.com/support/warranty
©2016-2018 Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. All rights reserved. Ubiquiti, Ubiquiti Networks, the Ubiquiti U logo, the Ubiquiti beam logo, and UniFi are
trademarks or registered trademarks of Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. in the United States and in other countries. All other trademarks are the property of
their respective owners.
Hardware Specifications
US-16-XG
Dimensions 443 x 221 x 43 mm (17.44 x 8.70 x 1.69")
Weight Without Mount Brackets With Mount Brackets
2.62 kg (5.78 lb) 2.71 kg (5.97 lb)
Enclosure Characteristics SGCC Steel
Total Non-Blocking Throughput 160 Gbps
Switching Capacity 320 Gbps
Forwarding Rate 238.10 Mpps
Max. DC Power Consumption 36W (Excludes SFP/SFP+ Modules)
Power Method AC DC
100-240VAC/50-60 Hz, Universal Input DC 56W, 57 to 20V, with
48/24VDC Terminal Block
Supported Voltage Range 100 to 240VAC 57 to 20VDC
Power Supply AC/DC, Internal, 56W DC
LEDs Per Data Port Speed/Link/Activity
Sound Level* Fan Level 0 Fan Level 1 Fan Level 2 Fan Level 3
1.0 dBr 10.7 dBr 12.2 dBr 12.8 dBr
Networking Interfaces (12) 1/10 Gbps SFP+ Ethernet Ports
(4) 1/10 Gbps RJ45 Ethernet Ports
Management Interface (1) RJ45 Serial Port Out-of-Band, Ethernet Ports In-Band
Certifications CE, FCC, IC
Rack Mount Yes, 1U High
ESD/EMP Protection Air: ± 24 kV, Contact: ± 24 kV
Operating Temperature -5 to 40° C (23 to 104° F)
Operating Humidity 5 to 95% Noncondensing
Shock and Vibration ETSI300-019-1.4 Standard
* Background noise level: 27.5 dBa

Ah I see.

That is the info from the Unifi Switch.

I am asking about the EdgeSwitch.
SuperUser

[ Edited ]

Sorry about that - we use a lot of both UniFi and Edge units depending.  In that case yes - they want 24.0VDC.  You can use either a comnmercial DC-DC converter or a Buck regulator.    All our sites have both 48 and 24V DC power so we just power them from the same PDU that runs the EdgeRouters and radios... I will likely be doing a story on that soon...

Jim