Highlighted
Established Member
Kudos: 297
Solutions: 3

Edgepower as UPS

Does anyone have any good pictures of a setup with a large Edgepower using the DC PS as a UPS?

SuperUser
Kudos: 10615
Solutions: 651
Contributions: 1

Re: Edgepower as UPS

@keefe007 wrote:

Does anyone have any good pictures of a setup with a large Edgepower using the DC PS as a UPS?

You mean as the DC part of an AC UPS, ie you add an inverter?   Or do you mean as a DC power system to run DC 54V units?   We do the latter all the time - we have 48 hours of battery plant in our main data center to run all the 54/24V equipment.   I can see if I have pictures we can share if that's what you mean.   We've given up on AC stuff almost completely - we have one 20KVA APC UPS we're going to be putting into the Data Center soon for the servers etc. that have to be AC powered, but everything mission critical for customer delivery is DC powered now.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
Established Member
Kudos: 297
Solutions: 3

I'm talking about using the Edgepower with one AC power supply and one DC power supply setup in UPS mode.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1067
Solutions: 229

@Magician might have some deployment pictures like this too.

SuperUser
Kudos: 1821
Solutions: 173
Contributions: 9

I do have 1 AC and 1 DC module with 2 pcs. 12V 100Ah batteries in series, and powering a EP-R8. 

I doubt I have any recent site pictures though ... 

/Paetur

[ Edited ]

@Paetur wrote:

I do have 1 AC and 1 DC module with 2 pcs. 12V 100Ah batteries in series, and powering a EP-R8. 

/Paetur

What equipment do you have connected to the EP?
what is the average consumption in watts and what time of autonomy do these batteries give?

SuperUser
Kudos: 1821
Solutions: 173
Contributions: 9

@jecbanjo wrote:

@Paetur wrote:

/Paetur

What equipment do you have connected to the EP?
what is the average consumption in watts and what time of autonomy do these batteries give?

So here are two screenshots, but the AF5x uplink is not shown (due to missing support) : 

This site is getting fed by a AF5x (Primary) and a PowerBeam M5 400 (Secondary/Redundant) shown on top.

EdgePoint R8 is powering :

• AirFiber 5x (Uplink)
  • PowerBeam M5 400 (Uplink)
  • 2 pcs. PowerBeam 5AC 300's (PtP's)
  • PrismStation 5AC (AP)
  • LiteBeam 5AC 16 120 (AP)

EdgePower-Topo.pngEdgePower-Dash.png

/Paetur

Kudos: 83
Solutions: 7

I do this at most of my sites.  I'm powering either an Edgepoint R8 or an S16 with the DC output going to a stack of batteries.  Depending on the site, I either have 400 AH @ 12v or 800 AH @ 12v (run in 48v arrays for for 100AH or 200AH).

I also use the EP for my solar arrays where I typically take 6 100AH batteries.  My new "standard" is right around 1,000w worth of panels feeding a 100AH @ 48v array via Outback controller (4 100ah 12v) and my second EP DC chain (I have 2 DC modules in them) goes to a 24v @ 100ah backup failover.  I use the EP to keep the charge on the backup array.

Load changes based on gear, adding my new 11FX stuff uses a lot more juice than the 5x stuff did.  I"m running pretty hot on one tower (grid power) at about 130w average.  The solar towers are running about 50-55w consistently.  I haven't ever used enough juice to hit the backup array, but there will be some times in the winter where it'll come into play I'm sure.

Let me know if you want more specifics, I find using the EP as a primary power and backup to work great.  It's a cheap and easy solution to add as much stackable battery power as you want.  Most of my sites are set to run for a week on batteries.

SuperUser
Kudos: 10615
Solutions: 651
Contributions: 1

@keefe007 wrote:

I'm talking about using the Edgepower with one AC power supply and one DC power supply setup in UPS mode.

All our EP sites are done exactly like that.   I have 5 large sites with 2 EPs in parallel ( combioning them with isoplation Shotkey diodes) , and multiple smaller sites with an EP running an EP-S16 (including a test system here in the lab) with one AC and one DC module.   I always use 54V battery stacks - the efficiency is higher - usually either 100AH wet cells in series (inexpensive WalMart marine deep-cycle batteries) or 35AH wheelchair/golf cart AGM batteries.    Stack them in series with a protection fuise and they work great.   For the really big sites we use outboard changers like the Meanwell PB-300 but for the smaller sites the EP does a fine job of charging the stack.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
Kudos: 40
Solutions: 2

Does anyine have a recommendation for a large battery charger? We have a solar site with around 800AH battery bank at 24v. We are setting up a backup generator and I'm looking for a battery charger that will be able to do a bulk charge quickly. 

I know there are some Rv converters that can charge at 80 amps but everything I am finding is around 10 amps. Thanks!

Kudos: 83
Solutions: 7

[ Edited ]

You could go for something like this. Charger Link

80amp is huge a huge, most batteries can't absorb a charge at that rate, I'm not even sure Lithiums can.  You can also damage a battery by over amp charging it and potentially explode it.  Definitely check the tech specs on your batteries.  I'd recommend going higher voltage in your array if possible so you have to push less amperage for the same wattage.  You'll have to be down to the 0-3 gauge wire just to handle that kind of current.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1749
Solutions: 136

[ Edited ]

You should be able to safely charge an 800 AH bank of wet cells at 160A (C/5). In fact, occasional charging at a high rate (at least C/10) is beneficial for wet cells.  Three of these in a rack might do the trick there.