2 devices that require the same port forwarded?

I currently have a static IP from my ISP and have 2 devices (my NVR and my NAS).   to connect to them remotley via a web browser i need to forward port 80, for each of the devices?  

This means i can only connect to 1 of the devices remotley at the moment.  Is there any way that would allow me to connect to both?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 1

Re: 2 devices that require the same port forwarded?

Use VPN: Sending login credentials in the clear is a rather bad idea. With a VPN you can use just your internal private IPs to connect without portforwarding.

The offer posibility is to create a forward rule for the second device PublicIP:8080 -> Internal2:80

Kudos: 714
Solutions: 255

just use a different port for the second one.
Kudos: 53
Solutions: 11

Man Happy You can choose external port 80 to forward to port 80 internal and port 81 external to forward to port 80 other ip internal

Kudos: 178
Solutions: 63

I'd rather use a VPN instead of different port forwardings. Usually if you think about forwarding a second port, the third one isn't far away. First you want to access the web interface only and later you want to connect a network share to download some data. Even though you can forward any ports you like, it may or may not be secure. Speaking of network shares, SMB/CIFS aren't meant to be used via internet and thus can cause severe security issues. Sure, right now you want the web interface only, but I bet it doesn't stop there...

Using a VPN connection you can access every local service remotely, without having to think about security of that specific service as the traffic is encrypted by the VPN. So even accessing an unencrypted FTP server is perfectly safe through a VPN tunnel. Actually even the web interface you are trying to forward is far from secure as long as it's not https.

hi,

thank you for your advice!  I have set up a vpn successfully.  the question is, is there an "easier" way to access both of the devices without having the remember the ip addresses of each?

Established Member
Kudos: 743
Solutions: 121

If you always access them from the same laptop/computer, you could simply add their hostname/FQDN to your hosts file, either on Windows, Mac or *nix.

If pasting output, please use the code tags button ({i})!
Please help the community find useful posts and solutions by hitting the "Kudos" and "Accept as Solution" buttons!