Highlighted
Kudos: 36
Solutions: 3

3 ports??

I can understand 3 ports for an edge router. Which might be what this is for. But then it doesn't have much RAM for BGP.

But then what about tower routers, which might have 3 or more redundant backhauls, running OSPF, and 3 or more access points? It looks like any of the Edgemax routers with more than 3 ports are huge rackmount models which may not fit in our small outdoor enclosures.

And no POE support for the radios?

I'm not sure where I can use this? Maybe it's more for corporate networks?

Our core network is fully redundant. It uses OSPF, and every AP and backhaul has a default route to an IP on the router at the base of the tower. This way if any one tower gets completely fried by lightning (which we have a lot of here), it will only effect that one tower.

Our typical router uses 6 to 8 ports, and is compact and runs on 24v.

Right now I can't think of a single site that could use any router in this range. Perhaps a router with a tough switch for the APs might work in the sites which only have two backhauls?

Thanks,
Roger
SuperUser
Kudos: 2012
Solutions: 28

Re: 3 ports??

I can understand 3 ports for an edge router. Which might be what this is for. But then it doesn't have much RAM for BGP.

But then what about tower routers, which might have 3 or more redundant backhauls, running OSPF, and 3 or more access points? It looks like any of the Edgemax routers with more than 3 ports are huge rackmount models which may not fit in our small outdoor enclosures.

Our core network is fully redundant. It uses OSPF, and every AP and backhaul has a default route to an IP on the router at the base of the tower. This way if any one tower gets completely fried by lightning (which we have a lot of here), it will only effect that one tower.

Right now I can't think of a single site that could use any router in this range. Perhaps a router with a tough switch for the APs might work in the sites which only have two backhauls?

Thanks,
Roger

That was my exact thoughts as I began beta testing this back in june. I however adapted to using vlans on the Edgerouter and when paired with a vlan switch works great. They designed this to be paired with a toughswitch but I have been unable to aquire one Man Sad . Nobody seems to have stock

All my sites are 2-3 bh's ospf and 4-6 sectors and working with the 3 port EdgeRouter Lite. I suggest you try this combo as I know you will be pleased. If you need more that 5 poe ports you could always use a digital loggers poe switch Man Sad
UBRSS, UBWA, UEWA - Ubiquiti Certified Trainer
SuperUser
Kudos: 7921
Solutions: 233

That was my exact thoughts as I began beta testing this back in june. I however adapted to using vlans on the Edgerouter and when paired with a vlan switch works great. They designed this to be paired with a toughswitch but I have been unable to aquire one Man Sad . Nobody seems to have stock

All my sites are 2-3 bh's ospf and 4-6 sectors and working with the 3 port EdgeRouter Lite. I suggest you try this combo as I know you will be pleased. If you need more that 5 poe ports you could always use a digital loggers poe switch Man Sad

Trade you a spare TS for an EdgeRouter. Deal? I've also still got those plague blankets and wooden beads.

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
SuperUser

Trade you a spare TS for an EdgeRouter. Deal? I've also still got those plague blankets and wooden beads.

lol,
Sorry can't part with them Man Happy
Wish I had a Carrier 16 though!!!
How about a huge box of L1 + L2 water included? Man Happy
Previous Employee
Kudos: 3131
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

Thanks,
Roger
The 3 port "Lite" is only the 1st product in the EdgeMax line. The 8 port model maybe more suited for a wisp. We are considering if it makes sense to add POE to the EdgeMax platform.

BTW, we've been using one of the 3 port "Lite" models as our corporate router since May (1 WAN, 1 LAN, 1 DMZ).
EdgeMAX Router Software Development
SuperUser

The 3 port "Lite" is only the 1st product in the EdgeMax line. The 8 port model maybe more suited for a wisp. We are considering if it makes sense to add POE to the EdgeMax platform.

BTW, we've been using one of the 3 port "Lite" models as our corporate router since May (1 WAN, 1 LAN, 1 DMZ).

Need POE Man Happy

Whats the Serial # of yours?
Established Member
Kudos: 790
Solutions: 30

It definately does....
For a small tower it makes complete sense with a 3 port POE on all ports EdgeMax Lit.
2 ports POE (for powering) backhaul like NanoBridge. 1 port POE (for powering) Rocket with Omni antenna.

And only 1 box in the tower. No POE adapters, no switch....
Established Member
Kudos: 790
Solutions: 30

It definately does....
For a small tower it makes complete sense with a 3 port POE on all ports EdgeMax Lit.
2 ports POE (for powering) backhaul like 2 NanoBridges. 1 port POE (for powering) Rocket with Omni antenna.

And only 1 box in the tower. No POE adapters, no switch....

Of course for a larger tower a 5 port or 8 port version, still with POE on all ports will also make sense....
SuperUser
Kudos: 1840
Solutions: 58

That is so you have incentive to buy something beyond the "Lite" model.

I think that's exactly the model that someone had in mind for this device. Use a toughswitch for POE control on your APs.