Kudos: 40
Solutions: 7

4g Failover hardware options

We are starting to look into some sort of 4g failover options.  We currently install ERL's at our customer's locations and setup 1 ISP into the location and everything is fine.

But for people that want failover internet we feel that 4g is probably the best option as we have a lot of customers where they probably don't have 2 ISP options.

So I thought of using the ERL for failover between a normal cable or DSL ISP and some sort of Verzion 4g modem type device.

Does anyone know of a 4g modem out there that isn't a "router" or can be put into a brige mode that we could plug into an ERL as a failover internet service??

Thanks,

Kudos: 106
Solutions: 24

Re: 4g Failover hardware options

http://www.dovado.com/en/products

Works in bridged mode.

/Psudo

So if I'm reading the info on this product correctly, I can get a device like this: http://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/verizon-mifi-4g-lte-global-usb-modem-u620l/ and plug it into this router and then put this router into bridge mode, plug it into the ERL and have a 4g failover connection??

Has anyone found anything cheaper than a $200 router to use for a 4g failover connection??

Kudos: 82
Solutions: 23

I went the less traditional route to preserve costs and simply purchased a Cradlepoint Router and used WiFi as WAN and went about it that way. Though with the Cradlepoint you can directly plug compatible USB's in and use them that way, just you don't get Bridge mode.

Enthusiast using EdgeMax, AirMax, and UniFi.
Established Member
Kudos: 280
Solutions: 18

[ Edited ]

Cradlepoint makes routers with internal LTE modems that can do bridge mode.  Expensive ($600), but worth it for the excellent management of the 4G connection.  4G dongles are extremely flaky in this regard and my experience has been that they require aggressive interventions to keep them going. There is also a 4G only (no 3G fallback) version for $350.

If you can find a now discontinued Cradlepoint CBR450 on FleaBay, it can manage a dongle and provide bridge mode.  However, since it's been discontinued, support for newer dongles may be lacking.

Mikrotik makes several routers that can use 4G dongles as a WAN connection.  They can be configured to take the primary WAN connection on ETH0 and failover to the 4G on the USB.

If you used a Cradlepoint router that does "WIFi as Wan" (per the previous post), you could perhaps use a personal hotspot (Verizon MiFi for example) for failover.

My experience with 3G/4G as backhaul is that the el-cheapo "consumer grade" stuff (dongles, personal hotspots) just aren't designed for 24/7 availability.  When I bit the bullet and finally bought a Cradlepoint IBR650 and a M2M data plan from Verizon, all the flakiness just went away.

So you guys don't even use an Edgerouter in this situtation?  Is that seem like the best way to do it, is go with one of the off the shelf routers that already has support for 4g failover than trying to rig a solution up with an Edgerouter?

Kudos: 82
Solutions: 23

You'd have to open up your EdgeRouter install a compatible Hub and put back the USB that it boots from as well as install the Hotspot and find the proper repositories online to get it running. Implementing into EdgeRouter I'd have no clue how to do.

Enthusiast using EdgeMax, AirMax, and UniFi.
Established Member
Kudos: 280
Solutions: 18

@klinders5 wrote:

So you guys don't even use an Edgerouter in this situtation?  Is that seem like the best way to do it, is go with one of the off the shelf routers that already has support for 4g failover than trying to rig a solution up with an Edgerouter?

In your specific case, this might be the easiest thing to do.  However, I wouldn't do it with anything other than a Cradlepoint device.  Other mgfrs. who have some kind of "4G support" offer it only as another "feature" and usually via the problematic USB connection. 

Cradlepoint has built their business on 3G/4G and they are the only ones I will trust.

My experience with Cradlepoint hasn't been great (MBR95 and MBR1400). Slow to switch on failover and the wifi disconnects frequently at times.

Peplink Balance 20 does not have any of these problems and has lasted me 3 years so far.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 15

[ Edited ]

To me it seems like a gap in the market... a pure bridge 4G/3G/LTE modem.

I suppose you could knock up a raspberry pi to use a USB dongle and act as bridge.

Just to update you guys on this, I have found this company and device:

http://www.optconnect.com/OC-neo-Wireless-Modem_8

Technially I received a differnet device for testing that has now been replaced by the Neo device. 

But these guys allow you to basically rent this deivce and 4g service for a very resonable price.  We are looking to deploy this to as many customers as we can once I get failover figured out on our ERLs.

Kudos: 2

In my search for 3g/4g fall-over support, I've tested -

a) Cradle Point MBR1000 and MBR1200 using stable Verizon USB modems.

Cradle Point has started offering an SDK to allow custom coding, the routers I tested did not support this option.

The Cradle Point MBR1000 and MBR1200 worked 99% of the time but were costly to own with ongoing monthly fees.

b) Mofi networks MOFI4500 using a Google Fi SIM that does not have a monthly fee.

You pay for the data used at $1 per 100MB. The MOFI4500 uses a vendor modified OpenWRT OS.

The MOFI4500 worked part of the time (approx 70%). Never made it to stable, rock solid firmware after many months of testing and clean-up in the code using a Syslog server. 

It is nice hardware and OpenWRT is feature rich. Just not yet ready for environments that require 24 x 7 x 365 unattended setup. It seemed to become unstable after many days of heavy traffic.

Kudos: 103
Solutions: 3

[ Edited ]

something like that ?

Cheat Usb to Ethernet bridge : 

http://shop.proxicast.com/shopping/proxicast-pocketport-2-pocket-sized-3g-4g-lte-usb-cellular-modem-...

Or better (MicroHard make great stuff) :

Gateway that takes a sim, and can passthrough the IP to another device (the way a cable modem would do) :

http://www.microhardcorp.com/Bullet-LTE.php (279$)

I also fould that Sierra Wireless makes a few solutions to that regard Man Sad in the 450$-600$ range tho ...)

The ES450 would also do exacly what is asked. 

https://www.sierrawireless.com/products-and-solutions/routers-gateways/es450/

Even some really low power that would make a great backup for some remote backbone sites.

https://www.sierrawireless.com/products-and-solutions/routers-gateways/rv50/

Emerging Member
Kudos: 15

http://shop.proxicast.com/shopping/proxicast-pocke​tport-2-pocket-sized-3g-4g-lte-usb-cellular-modem...

That looks exactly like what I'd be after.  Cheap enough that it doesn't become more expensive than the router.  And easily upgradable from when there's a new mobile data standard/frequency.

Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

Without question Sierra Wireless is the Gold standard. Take a look at the MP70. It uses the best cellular modem currently available. It works with every carrier in the USA and over 120 countries. The device cost is a major issue.

Kudos: 2823
Solutions: 40

Hi everyone, I've created a Feature Request to seek support for USB Cellular Stick in USG/EdgeRouter. 

The support for USB Sticks are crucial for (but not limited to):

1. Deployments that relied on cellular data as their primary connection. 

2. Mission critical deployments which use cellular data as their failover. 

If you wanted this feature to be implemented too, please head over to the link HERE (will pop up on the new page) and press the kudos button.

Thank you for your support.

Best regard,

Jack.

Give out Kudo & Accept as Solution if you find a post which saved you, it helps keep the contributors motivated. ;-)

[FR] Include support for USB Cellular Stick in USG/EdgeRouter. - https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching-Feature/Include-support-for-USB-Cellular-Stick-in-USG/idi-p/1906099
Kudos: 63

Netgear LB1120 is a 4G modem that supports bridge mode. It works great with the my Edgerouter PRO in router mode (double-NAT), when I set it to bridge mode, connected to the edgerouter, I get an external IP but there is no traffic (ethernet port set up as DHCP, NAT Masquerade, basic firewall). If I connect it in bridge mode to a laptop, I get an external IP in a totally different IP range, and I have traffic flowing...

Do I have a config issue on my Edgerouter Pro, or is my wireless provider detecting it's serving a router instead of a phone and blocking the connection?

Deleted Account

Hi , I have exacty the same problem.  Did you ever resolve it?  I just purchased the LB1120 , got the activated SIM from AT&T and it work flawlessly in bridge mode directly connected to my laptop.  When use it with the ERL, in dual WAN failover mode with Comcast, the ERL fails to get internet despite obtaining an IP address from the LB1120.  Any help to resolve would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Kudos: 63

Hi Tim, I have it working on an er x with the latest firmware. Still get the error in the log but the latest version seems to be handling the missing subnet... Still working with Netgear on a firmware update. They have it ready they say but I'm not getting it on my firmware update...
Deleted Account

Hi Pwherman73,

I appreciate the reply and hope your solution is working for you.  The ordeal is becoming interesting on my end.  I was about to hangup on the ERL then I came across the Netgear community where at least 20 individuals have the exact same problem across different WAN failover gateways including solutions with pfsense and Untangle NG.  It appears everyone is frustrated with Netgear's lack of attention since they advertised it as working for the reasons we all purchased it.  Unless someone is using the LB1120 just for a single desktop/laptop, then they will not have the difficulty we are seeing.

Since I choose not to wait for Netgear to offer a solution or a firmware update, I am returning the LB1120 and purchasing the Unite Explorer which offers band aggregation for faster speeds.  But the secret sauce is the DC112A cradle which is a full-fledged router that can be configured to bridge to the ERL.  My expectation is that it will work and be a better, albeit a slightly more expensive solution.  By the way, these products are both Netgear also so keeping my fingers crossed.

Best regards,
Tim