Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

Re: 4g Failover hardware options

We have two ERL powered sites with 4G LTE usb sticks plugged into Dovado Tiny routers in bridge mode as a failover WAN on eth1.

Whist the USB sticks themselves aren't exactly business grade the Dovado Tiny takes care of powering them off and restarting them when needed to keep the 4G link up and live.  Quite sexy.

I can certainly recommend this solution for failover.

Cheers

Sean

Kudos: 12

I would look at something like this https://www.rocketfailover.com/solutions/autopilot as it doesn't require you to do the failover in the UBNT router (their box does the failover and failback).  

I am not familiar with the ERL but in testing we have observed that the USGs don't failback automaticaly after failover, which is a huge issue when doing failover to 4G.

-Anthony

Kudos: 760
Solutions: 270

They do fail back....but primitively i.e. they leave the estab/relat states in the old link and NEW states use the recovered link. This is common for some reason, as it happens with other venders I have used. Luckily on edgerouter's you can easily fix this with a small script.

I'm also looking at running Dovodo as a failover solution but I want to keep my current configurations and nodes intact. As such I want the ERlite to bridge the 2 WANs to my firewall. Have a look at the attached diagram. Anyone know if this is possible, or do I need to use DNAT/port forwarding for each WAN and push an internal IP to the firewall instead? Any other better suggestion?

diagram.png

Peplink  BR1 mini

accelerated 6330 or 6310

try those and they both have a USB connection to connect the modem on the Verizon unlimited plan. Keep in mind each modem is seperate these don’t do load balancing the router would have to do that.