Established Member
Kudos: 388
Solutions: 40

Re: All LAN ports on same DHCP/DNS

@mbnn wrote:

Love the Edgerouter so far Man Happy woop!

I have worked with 3 Ubiquiti products so far.  ERL, UniFi AP, & NanoBridge M5.  All have been outstanding products.

From what I've seen, the ToughSwitch line seems to be a great product as well, but without having laid hands on it to verify, I believe that it might be missing features which I desire.  I've been using refurbished Cisco Catalyst switches and they have worked flawlessly.  I've seen no reason to change those.  I've looked at the Ubiquiti camera line, and unfortunately, I have to admit that the specs for it fall majorly short of my current standards.  And the fact that they are now moving it to be a propriatory product, removes it from ever being usable for me as I cannot add it to my current enterprise level CCTV server. Frown2

All that being said, I would rate Ubiquiti and their products as a 9.6+ out of 10 possible.

Kudos: 129
Solutions: 8

Yep, totally agree. For switches i use the Cisco SMB line (SG-300) and for camera's we have AXIS right now and those work great. But concerning this router and access points, simply love this Man Happy Keep up the great work Ubiquiti!

UniFi solutions for everyone!
Highlighted
Established Member
Kudos: 388
Solutions: 40

[ Edited ]

I had an analog camera system using a Pelco DX-7016 which was failing.  I did a lot of research before replacing the system.  At the same time, we were doing the same research for a replacement system for the city traffic camera monitoring system.  I am the Intellegent Traffic System tech for a local city.  I ended up going with the same system at home that we went with at work. 

http://Avigilon.com

http://avigilon.com/#/products/video-surveillance/overview/

It worked well for me as it allowed me to install their enterprise level NVR software platform on my ESXi server with a Win7 host.  8TB of HD deticated to the NVR.

Secondly, using video encoders allowed me to begin by migratting my analog system over to the NVR.  I started with Axis encoders which are great.  We currently use them at sork for the same purpose.  Migrating the existing system.  I have since switched to using Avigilon's own encoders however, as using them allows me to bring 4 cameras onboard, but only use 1 license.  The Avigilon platform also gives me the capability to use license-plate-recognition for vehicle identification and video search.

Upgrade to digital has been difficult due to the low-light capabilities of digital camera not having caught up to analog yet.  One of my current PTZ cameras spends most of it's time watching my mailbox area at a distance of around 1,000ft.  We've had issues of mail theft in the past.  Although that camera cannot read a license plate at that distance, I can identify an individual even at night.  My other two PTZ cameras have high enough quality that I can identify individual cows in my pastures in the dark at 300 - 400 feet.  I want to start upgrading these, but it's becomming an issue of how large I want the number in front of the 3 zeros to be.  ($x,000)  Ugh.  One of the camers I'm lookng at is $3,000.  The LPR camera I want to purchase next year is just over $2,000.  I believe that upgrading will be a slow process.