Amazon alexa problem on edgerouter

I recently changed to an edgerouter 6 with behind the router an unify switch 8 port and UAP‑HD for wifi.

On this switch i have an synology NAS with bridge software running on it to let Amazon alexa turn on/off devices.

On first install everything seemed to work fine, fast responses from alexa turning things on/off but after a while when you ask something she can't connect to the bridge anymore.

At first i thought the problem was in the bridge software but when i login to the bridge software and turn things on manually it works, just not thru alexa.

Then i found out if you just login to the routers main page without doing anything everything starts working again so i am thinking now that the router is blocking something after a while.

This problem keeps repeating after i login the router it can work again for a day and then this problem comes up again.

On my old router this all worked without any problems.

does anybody have any idea what this problem can be?

Veteran Member
Kudos: 857
Solutions: 305

Re: Amazon alexa problem on edgerouter

is Alexa running off the switch as well?

Yes everything is connected to the switch also unify access point only thing connected on the router is this switch.

I will try an diffrent switch maybe this causes the problem.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 857
Solutions: 305

Well if everything is connected to the switch then it doesn't go through the router. But I'm pretty sure Alexa is cloud based, so it may go through the router then come back then activate device. Are you running the latest firmware?

already installed latest firmware but no change.

it is difficult looking what the problem is because i have to wait every time when making a change to see if it keeps working this can take up to a day i am busy to look what this is for weeks now.

I had link aggregation on in the switch and on the synology and switched this off but no change.

The problem occured again today and when just reaching the router ip on login page and without even logging in it works again.

Alexa can do everything activate skills turn on thermostat thru skill the only problem is switching something on thru this bridge in my internal network.

Established Member
Kudos: 537
Solutions: 55

What is the bridge software? I'm fairly familiar with Alexa and home automation. I'm assuming everything is wifi-enabled and you aren't using Z-wave or Zigbee?
Please don't forget to kudo helpful posts and mark accepted solutions accordingly!
jcm.me - Personal Site | Joyn.Tech - Consulting Site

Add Auto-Provisioning Support to UNMS
Add DAI/IP Source Guard to Edgeswitches

the bridge software is HA-bridge from aptalca running in docker on synology and sends commands to a Home center 2 from fibaro and the only thing wireless are the amazon echo devices.

This setup used to work without problems for more than a couple of years on an asus RT-AC87U router also with a switch.

When changing the hardware setup the only other thing changed is the ip range from 192.168.1.xxx to 192.168.2.xxx

Yesterday i changed the unify switch and this morning it didn't work again but when asking again after a couple of minutes it worked.

At first i  thought the router or switch are somehow the problem because everything used to work without problems before and these things are the only one changed but now i am starting to think that maybe the synology gives the problem for some reason.

I want to keep using this bridge because it has fast reaction times in switching things on/off compared to a skill on alexa because everything is local.

I will try and run the bridge software on a raspberry in the network to see if this solves the problem.

Established Member
Kudos: 537
Solutions: 55

You may need to do some debugging/captures on the bridge and Home Center to see if you can determine which one isn’t receiving the commands. In general, I have had a terrible time with Docker being reliable. Turning up a dedicated machine to run the bridge software may be the key.
Please don't forget to kudo helpful posts and mark accepted solutions accordingly!
jcm.me - Personal Site | Joyn.Tech - Consulting Site

Add Auto-Provisioning Support to UNMS
Add DAI/IP Source Guard to Edgeswitches
Highlighted

Running it on the synology saves me another device in the network and why not use this because it is on 24 hours anyway i really never had problems with this running on it.

Yesterday I configured a raspberry pi with bridge software running on it and yesterday and this morning the same problem alexa saying the device is not responding but this is solving after several minutes i noticed.

I have 2 wifi names with two diffrent wifi signals 2.4ghz and the 5 ghz this because some devices have problem with the 5 ghz.

Yesterday i tried to configure a logitech harmony i forgot i had but this device only works on a 2.4ghz wifi signal.

When trying to configuring this device i tried to connect to it using my phone which is on the 5ghz wifi signal.

I could not connect to it but when switching my phone to the 2.4ghz it connected imidiatly then when switching my phone back to the 5ghz it could connect without problems.

So it looks like the 5ghz wifi signal has problems connecting to internal network somehow on first attempts.

I switched the echo devices this morning on the 2.4 ghz wifi to see if this solves it.