Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Bandwith test through the VPN tunnel ER4

Hello everyone,

I setup two EdgeRouter 4 routers on two locations. I connected them with a IPsec VPN tunnel. I can ping both ways, but when I try to do a bandwith test between them the test never starts. I run one as sender and one as the reciever. Nothing happens. What am I missing? Any help is apreciated. Thanks

Router one lan IP: 10.0.1.1

Router two lan IP: 10.0.3.1

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 2243
Solutions: 1134

Re: Bandwith test through the VPN tunnel ER4

Most probably you are running a policy based IPSEC (so, the source ip address won't belong to the declared in the local-prefix, and, anyway, this test won't be too accurate), run instead iperf/iperf3 between two hosts, one local and one remote, eg 10.0.1.10 and 10.0.3.10.
Cheers,
jonatha

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser
Kudos: 2243
Solutions: 1134

Most probably you are running a policy based IPSEC (so, the source ip address won't belong to the declared in the local-prefix, and, anyway, this test won't be too accurate), run instead iperf/iperf3 between two hosts, one local and one remote, eg 10.0.1.10 and 10.0.3.10.
Cheers,
jonatha

Yes, I am running policy based IPSEC. Interesting enough, just before posting this I came across the UBNT guide for Route-Based IPSEC and was wondering what are the benefits of one vs policy based. I definitely want to know more. Thanks for the advice.