Kudos: 10
Solutions: 3
Accepted Solution

Bridging an ASDL router to an X-SFP and setting up PPPoE

[ Edited ]

No doubt dumb questions incoming, so apologies in advance.  I'm use to more "classic" setups here in Australia, but since trying the Ubiquiti stuff I'm kicking myself for not discovering it earlier Man Happy

Anyway, at my place I bridge a cable modem to the X-SFP and it works a treat, no issues there.   At the moment however I'm living with my in-laws (renovations happening) and they have a very old, very rubbish, ASDL modem (a Netcomm NB6Plus4W) which is acting up.   What I'm thinking I'll try first (before I throw it out and replace it with something else) is just bridge it to the X-SFP and have that handle everything (also means I get to play with the X-SFP while I'm away from my place for a few months).

Here come the dumb questions!

Is it as simple as enabling bridge mode on the Netcomm and hooking it up to the X-SFP (lets say in eth0), then creating a PPPoE interface on eth0 in the GUI and entering the ISP username and password?   I've found some guides in threads on here from a few years ago and back then it was all done via CLI, but reading the manual now I'm guessing this PPPoE interface is what I'm after?

After that do I need to set up any firewall rules, or is that handled by default (as it was when I set it up initially for my cable connection at home)?

Once I get that happening I'll probably connect a Unifi AC-Lite for wireless, because why not.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Accepted Solutions
Established Member
Kudos: 1173
Solutions: 21

Re: Bridging an ASDL router to an X-SFP and setting up PPPoE

It should be that simple. Actually you could use the wizard and be done in 5 minutes.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member

It should be that simple. Actually you could use the wizard and be done in 5 minutes.

@jndfx22 wrote:

Even better!  Love it, thanks Man Happy

Firewall rules all taken care of with the wizard I'm assuming?   Don't need anything fancy, just "make the internet work good".

Established Member

The router will automatically create the firewall rules it needs. I would recommend upgrading it to EdgeOS 1.9.0 for best performance/ features.

@jndfx22 wrote:

The router will automatically create the firewall rules it needs. I would recommend upgrading it to EdgeOS 1.9.0 for best performance/ features.

Great, thanks.  Router is all up to date Man Happy

I guess the only thing I need to watch is because the router is currently set up for my connection at home, I should connect it to my laptop, log in, backup my config, wipe it, and set it up from scratch again for the new connection.  Just need to remember how to do that Man Very Happy

From memory, laptop into eth0 with a static IP set, go through wizard in router and set it up for the new connection on eth0, laptop moved to eth1 and Netcomm plugged into eth0, cross fingers and hope for the best...

Ok I'm going to need some help here, I can't get this working Man Sad

I've set the router to bridge mode, that appears to be ok.

I've run the Basic wizard with PPPoE and entered the username and password. Netcomm out from LAN1 into eth0 of the edgrouter. Laptop into eth1.

On logging into the edgerouter I see the PPPOE connection and it says it's connected (so I assume the password etc are fine) but if I try a webpage I get nothing Man Sad

I've tried adding google DNS to the services page but that didn't seem to help.

Obviously missing something ...
Established Member

Can you run 

show configuration

and post the entire output from that here. (Obvisoulsy you can hash out the usernames and passwords)

[ Edited ]

Sorry...

Turns out I did indeed have an incorrect password, though it still connected for some reason (I did try a purposely bad password and that failed to connect, so assumed I was all good).  I called my father in laws ISP and they gave me the correct password and we're now fine Man Wink

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

[ Edited ]

What if setting the ISP modem-router to bridge-mode is prevented?

My ISP modem-router does not allow switching to bridge-mode.

It "only" allows for NAT disabling and DHCP disabling.

Would an ER X-SFP connected downstream be able to make its pppoe connection "go through" anyway or ...?

Thanks!

A.