Accepted Solution

Can I take the backup of the config of an EdgeRouter PoE and restore into an EdgeRouter 6p?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

My Edgerouter PoE is toast (just died and was hot enough to grill a sandwich on). No attempt to reset worked (it blew sparks and smelled funny).

Hopefully it will be treated under warranty (it blew exactly one year after purchase - to the day) but I am thinking about trading it in for a new Edgerouter 6p instead.

Question is if I can restore my ER PoE backup to the ER 6p? I assume it should work but of course not in cases where the 6p differs so that functionality cannot map 1-1. What I am hoping to get away from is having to set up base config at least.

-h

Accepted Solutions
Established Member
Kudos: 375
Solutions: 105

Re: Can I backup the config of an EdgeRouter PoE and restore into an EdgeRouter 6p?

Here's a great article on extracting your config!

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012074414-EdgeRouter-How-to-Post-Configurations-on-the-Ed...

If you're comfortable with the CLI, SSH into the router and run:

show configuration | no-more

If you want to see all the commands as you'd type them (which may make it easier for you to "migrate" over to a new router):

show configuration commands | no-more

And adjust as necessary!

View solution in original post

Established Member

Re: Can I backup the config of an EdgeRouter PoE and restore into an EdgeRouter 6p?

[ Edited ]

One more thing you can do, get that config.boot file (see my previous post link, or navigate to /config/ on your router, config.boot is located there), copy it down to your computer, copy it over to your new router, and in 'configure' mode you can type:

load /path/to/newconfig.config
commit
save

'commit' applies the configuration from the file/path you indicated, and 'save' writes at as the new config.boot

edit: an even better article:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002535514

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member

If you are using the switch0 interface, you cannot, because the ER-6P does not have a switch - all the ports are routed ports.

But you can adjust the config slightly to remove and replace references to the switch0 interface to a phyical eth port.

I am not so I will probably give it a try. What would be even better is if I could somehow open the backup file and read my config and transfer it "manually". I did a poor job of documenting the setup on paper (doh) and would like to get the basics set up the same way as before.

-h

Established Member

Here's a great article on extracting your config!

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012074414-EdgeRouter-How-to-Post-Configurations-on-the-Ed...

If you're comfortable with the CLI, SSH into the router and run:

show configuration | no-more

If you want to see all the commands as you'd type them (which may make it easier for you to "migrate" over to a new router):

show configuration commands | no-more

And adjust as necessary!

Established Member

[ Edited ]

One more thing you can do, get that config.boot file (see my previous post link, or navigate to /config/ on your router, config.boot is located there), copy it down to your computer, copy it over to your new router, and in 'configure' mode you can type:

load /path/to/newconfig.config
commit
save

'commit' applies the configuration from the file/path you indicated, and 'save' writes at as the new config.boot

edit: an even better article:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002535514

Thanks. The old router is dead as a norwegian blue parrot though so not much I can pull from it I am afraidMan Happy

Emerging Member
Kudos: 11
Solutions: 1

Re: Can I take the backup of the config of an EdgeRouter PoE and restore into an EdgeRouter 6p?

Config.boot is a text file so you can hand convert it if you want. I did that when moving from an ERL to an ERPoE. Admittedly, those are almost identical devices besides switch interface and PoE settings.

Re: Can I take the backup of the config of an EdgeRouter PoE and restore into an EdgeRouter 6p?

Is there a way to extract it from a backup file (unf format)? It is all I have access to after the router died.

Highlighted
Established Member

@gromit42x wrote:

Is there a way to extract it from a backup file (unf format)? It is all I have access to after the router died.

.unf files are Unifi Controller backups, not for an EdgeRouter.  Where did you get that file?  It is for restoring a Unifi Controller which do not manage Edgerouters.