Can't connect to ER-X after firmware update (1.10.8)

I just receieved my ER-X and went through the intial setup process. I set it up as WAN-2LAN2 and everything was working fine; I had internet access and I could connect to the router via 192.186.1.1. I set eth0 to my internet port and 1-4 as my lan ports.

I checked the ER-X firmware against what was available on the website. I was running 1.9.x and the newest avaialble firmware was 1.10.8, so I decided I should probably update the firmware. I went through that process and updated. I went through the GUI, selected the tar file and the updated seemingly "worked" - I was prompted to reboot and did so.

Once the router rebooted however, I had no internet access and could longer connect to the ER-X via 192.168.1.1. After unplugging the device and giving it more than ample time to boot up, I figured something might have gone wrong with the firmware update.

I attempted to do a runtime reset the ER-X, but was not able to do so. I ended up doing a power-on reset which seemingly worked (eth4 blinked).

I went through the same steps to connect to the ER-X because it should now be back to factory settings - I connected to eth0, manually setup my ip, subnet, router (192.168.1.2+ / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.1.1), just as I had done when first setting up the device, but I am not able to connect to it. Any browser I use just hangs and eventually times out.

I am really not sure what to do at this point, the device seems bricked for lack of a better word.

Did something radically with the new firmware that I need to adjust my connection settings for?

Is the fact that I could not do a runtime reset telling about a larger issue with the firmware update?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 64
Solutions: 22

Re: Can't connect to ER-X after firmware update (1.10.8)

Since I spent a considerable amont of time working on a similar problem, I have to ask:

Did you re-enable dhcp on your PC?  Are you sure you have a default route toward the ER-X?

Here's the thread I am talking about:  ER-X setup problem

Thanks for the reply BuckeyeNet.

Regardless if I have DHCP enabled, the outcome is the same. I was under the impression that I should NOT have DHCP enabled and manually set my IP, etc... when connecting to the device. That's what I had to do on the first connect, so I tried it that way the after the firmware update and could not connect. For the hell of it I tried it with DHCP enabled and the outcome was the same.

I am not completely sure what you mean by the "default route" for the ER-X. I ended up resetting the device because I couldn't access it, hoping that would allow me access again, but that didn't work. I am assuming attempting to connect to 192.168.1.1 is still a valid connection point in 1.10.8.

My connection settings to the device, while attempting to connect via eth0 are:

IP Address: 192.168.1.17 (anything > 2) 

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.1.1 (I think this is also called 'Gateway', but on MacOS it is labeled router)

I tried to ssh in, expecting ssh ubnt@192.168.1.1 to be valid since it is the default username,  but that times out as well.

It really feels like the device is bricked.

Emerging Member

When you are settting up, yes, you must manually set your IP address to something in the 192.168.1.0/24 network other than 192.168.1.1 (for example 192.168.1.2 or .17) on the device you will be configuring the ER-X with).  Then you must plug into eth0 for setup.  It sounds like you are doing this correctly.

Normally, the wizard will make it easy to configure the ER-X to use eth0 for the WAN interface (note this is the port you used to configure the ER-X with).

Can you reenable auto configuration on your PC or Mac, unplugged from the PC/Mac, verify that it is showing you do not have an ip address on the ethernet interface.  Then plug a cable from your pc into eth1 and see if you get an ip address.  It is possible you didn't reset the ER-X.  I am just trying to eliminate the easy things first.

Also, when you plug into the ER-X eth1, does the Mac get a link status, and can you see what the connection type is (1000 Full Duplex or something else)?

It is possible that it is bricked, but I wouldn't assume that is the case yet.  There are no changes from 1.9.7 to 1.10.8 that should cause this to break.  There was a new bootloader with 1.10.7 but I think it required a manual update (at least that is what I had to do).  And the update of the bootloader is very quick and doesn't require a reboot (if I am remembering correrctly, but the only way to really test the upgrade is to reboot).

Thanks again, for the reply BuckeyeNet.

> Can you reenable auto configuration on your PC or Mac, unplugged from the PC/Mac, verify that it is showing you do not have an ip address on the ethernet interface.  Then plug a cable from your pc into eth1 and see if you get an ip address. It is possible you didn't reset the ER-X.  I am just trying to eliminate the easy things first.

When I plug into eth1, I get nothing, with or without the cable from my ONT plugged into eth0. I wasn't sure how you wanted me to try it, so I did both ways.

To be clear:

- When no ethernet cables are plugged into my Mac, both ports show up as "Not Connected" (eth1 LED not lit)

- When I plug a cable from one of the ports into eth1, it still shows up as "Not Connected" (eth1 LED not lit)

- When I plug into eth0, my Mac shows the ethernet is connected, but connecting always times out (eth0 LED is lit)

For the above, I tried using DHCP and without.

I also tried connecting from my PC, but encountered the same issues.

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

Doesn't sound good.

Have you tried both of the reset sequences?

Description

Reset

There are two methods to reset the EdgeRouter to factory defaults:

• Runtime reset (recommended) The EdgeRouter should be running after bootup is complete. Press and hold the Reset button for about 10 seconds until the eth4 LED starts flashing and then becomes solidly lit. After a few seconds, the LED will turn off, and the EdgeRouter will automatically reboot.
  • Power-on reset Disconnect power from the EdgeRouter. Press and hold the Reset button while connecting power to the EdgeRouter. The port LEDs will light up in sequential order. Keep holding the Reset button until the LED on the last port starts flashing, and then release the button.

After either of these are done you will need the manual Mac setup with 192.168.1.17/24 and connecting to port eth0.

Also, if you have a different ethernet cable (this is a stretch) but before going through an RMA make sure you have a good cable and power supply. If you have a powered external USB hard drive, it probably has a compatible power supply. The requirements: 12VDC with center conductor + positive on the barrel connector, and at least 0.5A (more is ok, it will only use what is required).  Both of these are unlikely to be the problem.

I am at the end of my suggestions.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

BTW, does the bootloader update happen automatically with 1.10.8?  Hopefully that isn't the problem, or there may be a lot of bricked routers on the way.

This is from the 1.10.8 release notes:  But it appears to only be related to Cavium models, not MediaTek

[Bootloader] - Fix bug when bootloader partition was randomly erased during bootloader upgrade on ER-4/ER-6P/ER-12 models (very-very unlikely but still possible).

Kudos: 81
Solutions: 23

@BuckeyeNet No, the bootloader is a manual process, so it's not updated as part of the firmware update - it's just available via the CLI.

Thanks for your continued help on this, BuckeyeNet.

I've tried both reset sequences. Runtime resets just don't work, but I've done multiple power-on resets. After the resets I tried to connects as you described along with other IPs and trying different ports. All attempts result in not being able to establish a conncection to the device.

I've already tried multiple cables and 3 different computers (1 Mac, 2 Windows PCs). I don't have any other power supplies that I could check against.

I see you mentioned the bootloads; admittely I don't know much about this, but what kind of problems could that cause? The device seemingly boots up fine (PWR LED lights up and eth0 blinks when I plug a cable into it). I just can't seem to establish a connection or ping the device.

Is there any other IP/Subnet/Gateway settings I should be trying from the machine I am attempt to connect to the device with? As mentioned above I have been using the 192.168.1.17/255.255.255.0/192.168.1.1 and some other arbirtrary combination to no avail.

I'm fine with sending the unit back, but I have to admit, I am really curious what could be causing this issue.

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

From the device connected to eth0 can you even ping 192.168.1.1?  If that doesn't work, then about the only option to get further info is resorting to opening the case and using a special cable to connect to the "console".  If you aren't a maker, you are unlikely to have the required parts.

Here's an old post https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter/What-are-the-recovery-options-on-a-EdgeRouter-X/td-p/146525...

and a newer one: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter/Bricked-ER-X-does-serial-console-void-warranty/td-p/2577250

In this second case, the symptoms sound surprisingly similar.   A working ER-X, upgrade and then no response.  Perhaps there is an issue when upgrading, a race condition, issue with flash bad block handling, or something else that affects only a small percentage of devices.  There is a limited amount of testing done, and all cases probably are not covered.  If the unit does get sent back, I would hope that Ubiquiti would have an engineer look at it so they can hopefully determine the root cause, because if nothing is changed, it will continue to happen (even if it is at a low rate).  Having these ticking time bombs at remote sites without a spare is scary when you push the "update firmware" button on UNMS.

Unfortunately, pinging just times out.

I'm not going to open the unit up, since it is brand new. I can return it and get a replacement or something else.

If I had a unit with a console port, would troubleshooting these kind of issues be much easier? I might spring for the ER-POE to avoid having an issue like this in the future.

Thanks again.

Emerging Member

I edited my last post.

I doubt having the console would help in this case.  But make sure that when you RMA you refer them to this thread.

Someone in engineering needs to look at this to determine the root cause.

Emerging Member

Do you know what version you were upgrading from?  More specific than 1.9.x

It does seem that the upgrade could do some sanity checking (verification of files and hashes) before asking the user to reboot, because then it is too late to recover.

Out of the box it had  v1.9.7+hotfix.3

Emerging Member

My opinion.  It would be better to buy a spare ER-X than an ERPoe5, and you could buy two for less than the cost of the ERPoe5 The ER-X is superior for most home users.  It has the ability to be vlan-aware which is useful for guest/home/iot subnets.

Emerging Member

@kore12 wrote:

Out of the box it had  v1.9.7+hotfix.3

That was an odd choice to use as the basis for shipping configs.  Hot fix.3 was pretty short lived, I wonder why it was chosen as the preloaded version.  One I got recently (withing the last 6 months) had 1.7.4 I think. but I upgraded it as soon as it came out of the box. 

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1858
Solutions: 820

If pc is connected, does ping to ff02::2 work

On linux, use ff02::2%eth0  instead  (assuming linux NIC is eth0)

@16again wrote:

If pc is connected, does ping to ff02::2 work

On linux, use ff02::2%eth0  instead  (assuming linux NIC is eth0)

Assuming the command is `ping ff02::2` on my Windows PC, I get "request timed out."

The same command times out on my Mac, but I thought perhaps I was using the wrong command there.

Are these screenshots from my Mac helpful at all?

Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 8.43.28 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-01 at 8.42.41 AM.png

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1858
Solutions: 820

Those ping replies are from your MAC itself. 

I hoped to see replies from ER, so you could use IPv6 link local address to access it

@16again wrote:

Those ping replies are from your MAC itself. 

I hoped to see replies from ER, so you could use IPv6 link local address to access it

Thanks for the replies.

Is there a command that would get, or attempt to get, a response from the device rather than the computer?

I am trying to figure out if the commands on I used on my Mac were not appropiate or if the outcome of that command further suggests a non-responsive device.

Solutions: 1

Did you try any of the other ports on the er-x ? and enabled on your mac using dhcp? 

If you did not change any of the configuration this might work. 

Otherwise configure 192.168.1.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and router 192.1658.1.1 and try all ports whil running a ping to 192.168.1.1 in a terminal window.

Something else you can try is resetting it to factory defaults, this removes the config but you cannot use it anyway.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205202620-EdgeRouter-Reset-to-Factory-Defaults