Re: Can't connect to ER-X after firmware update (1.10.8)

@javah wrote:

Did you try any of the other ports on the er-x ? and enabled on your mac using dhcp? 

If you did not change any of the configuration this might work. 

Otherwise configure 192.168.1.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and router 192.1658.1.1 and try all ports whil running a ping to 192.168.1.1 in a terminal window.

Something else you can try is resetting it to factory defaults, this removes the config but you cannot use it anyway.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205202620-EdgeRouter-Reset-to-Factory-Defaults 

Thanks for the reply javah. I've already tried all of that and reset the device, as described above. Unfortunately, even with a reset, the device is "unreachable."

Kudos: 1

Hey,

If you want to try the "last resort recovery process" you can.... heres everything you will need. 

ER-X Console Port: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ZEFBHx-ZI

Last Resort Recovery Process: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter/EdgeMax-rescue-kit-now-you-can-reinstall-EdgeOS-from-scratc...

Last Resort Recovery Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-7lkrxRvAg

You can ignore the note on the top of the forum post, its only there because the other edge router models don't have an external console port. Anyway you've got nothing to loose it already dosnt work, it can't get any more bricked. Give it a try and report back Man Happy

Thanks for the reply, majibow.

My replacement comes in a few days and I had already ordered a USB to TTL cable, so I should everything neccessary to dig a little deeper (time permitting).

If and when I find anything out, I will certainly share that in this post.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 70
Solutions: 26

That second link won't work for the ERX. I didn't look at the bottom link.

EdgeMax rescue kit (now you can reinstall EdgeOS from scratch) [ Edited ] 

2013-07-15 04:39 AM - last edited on ‎2015-07-21 05:17 PM by Previous Employee UBNT-stig

EDIT by UBNT-stig:  NOTE this rescue kit will only works on ER-Lite and ER-PoE.

Kudos: 1

Actually it probably will....... as I already mentioned, since the first link gives you access to the console port then you can folow the same process. 

Also I imagine if you do get it recovered you will also need to update the bootloader after you get upgraded to 1.10.8 and have rebooted. You will need to run "show system boot-image" and most likly "add system boot-image" and then reboot again. 

Then you'll be up and running. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 70
Solutions: 26

[ Edited ]

I don't think it will work, the SOC/CPU are different on the ER-X.

There is another thread specifically related to the ER-X (quite a long thread).  This is near the end and has what eventually recovered one person's ER-X that failed during an upgrade.

What are the recovery options on a EdgeRouter X?

I just wanted to give an update.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to figure out what was wrong with the unit. I had planned on trying to debug further, but things didn't go that way and I sent the unit back.

The good news is the new unit works fine (although I haven't yet updated the firmware...).

I just wanted to thank everyone who took their time to reply to my thread, it is truly appreciated.

Kudos: 82
Solutions: 23

Thanks for the update. I would actually recommend that you update the firmware (follow the guide), so you don't end outside of it's warranty in similar sticky situation. Then it will be up-to-date, more secure and hopefully more stable.